HTML, CCS, or JAVA to Create Search Engine for Beginner Coder?

Haniaroad

Greetings,

I am fairly new to coding and only have mild experience with HTML. I understand that coding a searchable database or "google-like" search engine is rather simple and can be done without much experience. I have been trying to teach myself to code a fully searchable database of .edu, .gov, .org, and other authoritative domain content with somewhat of a decent looking interface (not a simple blinking search bar without images or color). I would like to create the most basic BETA version of this database with a few images (possibly background colors) with a logo, slogan, and overall good look and user-feel.

-What would be the best coding type (HTML, CCS, Java, etc) to use for this?

-What is a FREE software that will allow me to run/test the code once it is written for a MAC iOS?

-What MAC programs will help to code this software?

Any insight/info would be greatly appreciated!

elcidofaguy

I find it really hard to believe that you think its really easy to create a "google" like search engine wrt a fully searchable database of .edu, .gov, .org etc... Are you smoking dope??? Consider the following:

1) The massive amounts of data which needs to be crawled and compiled. In fact Google uses its own proprietary database which is not a standard relational DBMS. In fact you will need a massive infrastructure to be able to run crawlers in order to perform the data scraping... and lets not forget the query time for returning relevant results...

2) From a development point of view - the coding is complex and for sure Google has hired hundreds to thousands of developers over the years as they have refined their core algos...

3) I'm really confused why you want to focus on MAC iOS??? After all why not develop a web based application which can operate on any platform?

If you are looking to create an application which can perform searches and retrieve data - then the most simplest course of action is to leverage existing data through an API... i.e. you send a query to Google or Bing and receive data back for your application... Naturally they will be quotas and costs associated to using such API's incl. web services etc...

If you are looking to develop a desktop application - then I recommend Java as it is O.S independent and open source... Regarding databases - as I recommend the leveraged use of API's then the need for a DBMS is removed with potentially limited data needing to be stored.. In that case I would opt for an XML or JSON approach as then your application will be really light weight and easy to deploy... That said the best approach is to focus on a web based application and not desktop....

Joe B. Ray

Based on reading your post, I would suggest to start learning some more (like a lot more) before you try to create a "google" like search engine.
I am trying to be helpful here and I mean this with the utmost respect but I have to tell you, you're not making much sense right now.

You need to take some free courses. Udemy has lots of free courses for beginners. Start with HTML and CSS then experiment with a back-end programming languages to see which one you like. Then, when you find one you like, spend a couple of years learning that language.

At some point, you will realize that creating a "google" like search engine is actually not so easy. When that happens, you're making some progress.

Mike001

I have to agree with the above, but I will try not to discourage you from learning what is out there. I have been writing code for well over 15 years and I am proficient in quite a few languages, honestly I would not attempt what you are looking to attempt.

We have a saying in programming, don't reinvent the wheel. The Google Search engine is by far the most popular search engine out there. Competition has been tried, a good example is Bing, that was funded by Microsoft and is still struggling to get a grasp of the search engine market. And they have unbelievable resources, financial and technical.

Something of that magnitude would not only take a tremendous amount of coding ability by also hardware resources. It almost sounds like you want to do something like web site scraping. I would never attempt something like that as it goes against many of the Terms Of Service for websites and it just is not the right thing to do.

Learning to become a good programmer takes time and patience. With every solution that you find you will run into new obstacles that will present themselves.

Hang in there, continue to learn and continue to ask questions, especially on sites like this one. Most programmers are always willing to share their knowledge and experience to save you from learning everything the hard.

Mike
[Link Deleted by Mod]

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack London

Web Marketing Tool

Web Marketing Tool
I agree totally with everything you and the others are saying. Just the whole "Don't reinvent the wheel" is a bit of a pet peeve for me. If no one ever reinvented the wheel we would all be riding around Fred Flintstone style with rock or wooden wheels. Even now they are still making improvements to the wheel. Plus by re-inventing something you get to learn in depth how it works.

Ok, to answer the questions, use PHP. It's free and easy plus you can easily find other search engine code to get ideas. Of course, if it is a website then you'll have to use html and css. Not sure if you are planning to do a website or not (since you asked about them), but you don't have to have a website to use PHP.

A free software you can use on a Mac for testing PHP locally (plus includes mysql, apache, etc) is XAMPP which you can get here xampp.en.softonic.com/mac

A free editor you can use for php (or many other languages) that works on a mac is Netbeans which you can get here: netbeans.en.softonic.com/mac

PatrickT

You know there exist some syndrom so called Danning Kruger effect when people who know little think they know a lot, and people who know a lot think they know little) I am sorry mate, but css and js obviously not enough to create google like search, I agree you should take some udemy courses, they are free, I learned there a lot

EpicGlobalWeb

It took me 3 years of intense studying, college courses, 40 books, and nearly 100 paid projects to barely write a custom e-commerce script, CMS, and do geometry. Granted, I also have a bunch of kids and a wife to distract me, but re-writing Google is close to impossible for one man.

Consider that Google has thousands of employees who work 60 hours / week each. Their top developers make $200,000 / year on average to write code all day and night.

So can you do it? Of course! With God all things are possible. Just don't under-estimate the care needed. And don't be discouraged by my words either. When I first learned C++ I was obsessed about writing my own operating system. It was supposed to be called "Banana OS."

Then I found out Linux already accomplished what I wanted to do. Now I sell web programming services LOL!

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.