Googlebot cannot access CSS and JS files on my website, affect SEO rankings?

steitieh

Recently I have received an email from google webmaster tool with following information

Googlebot cannot access CSS and JS files on my site

Google systems have recently detected an issue with your homepage that affects how well our algorithms render and index your content. Specifically, Googlebot cannot access your JavaScript and/or CSS files because of restrictions in your robots.txt file. These files help Google understand that your website works properly so blocking access to these assets can result in suboptimal rankings.
google_bot_access_site.png

I blocked google bot to access my css and js file, does this actually affect my SEO rankings?

RDO Servers

If Google bot cannot access your css and JavaScript, it cannot properly render your page.

Assuming this affects what content is displayed above the fold, or displayed at all, it can affect your rankings.

Reactions: arindamb

arindamb

arindamb
I agree with you

The Google update specifies that, for optimal rendering and indexing, you should allow Googlebot access to the JavaScript, CSS, and image files on your webpages.

Keep in mind that, notices in Google wesbmater tool is always important if you got it, you need to follow their instructions to solve the problem according to Google's guidelines.

EsferaSoft

Check the robots.txt file and check the home page is properly working.

PluginForage

Yes Google wants access to everything these days. You don't have to give it to them but you will most likely take a hit.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views