Why Google loves long content?

Tshepo

Instead of using short articles, more blogs are using articles with long content above 500 or 1000 words to get better rankings. why long content is better than short content and why Google loves long content?

Any comments?

PTTed

It's not really the length that matters. Length is just a byproduct of being thorough in your article/blog post. If you are more thorough, then your content tends to be longer.

And, if you are more thorough then you are going to get less people bouncing back to the SERPs and clicking on another URL. And if your page gets less of that compared to the other pages there, then Google thinks your page has superior content on it. And if they think your content is superior, then they automatically want to rank yours higher.

Most people who are using the search engines to search for information are looking for highly detailed, specific and thorough information on whatever topic they are searching for. So give that to them and your pages will tend to perform very well. Just throw a little link juice at them.

Mark007

There is no preference to Google for a long or short content. The thing that matters is the information that you are providing along with the keywords used with proper optimization. Maintaining a proper keyword density and uniquely written high quality content is always preferable by Google. Google tends to rank such contents higher in their searches with the use of proper keywords.

sunilgupta

Google always love meaning full content.....It did not matter long or short content.........

hrishivardhan

I agree with Sunil,
Google's choice of ranking does not depend on length of the content. Google only loves that, what user loves to read. If your content providing what the user wants, then google will automatically give you more preference than others.

Last edited:

elfgirl

if you were looking for information to get rid of fleas on your dog would you rather find an article with 5 tips or 25 tips? Most people find that the longer article is more useful.

Also the longer the article, the more keywords you have the opportunity to insert. Longer articles are proven in many case studies to rank higher because they give Google more information about what they contain.

joshmathews

Google is always fond of content whether big or small as it helps the viewers to know about a product/service. Any form of information is really liked by this search engine.

guptachetan121993

Google always believe in serving quality results to their users and that is the reason, Google gives higher ranking to those articles which are well explained and have in-depth information.
When Google find that the particular article have all the information about a topic then Google give it higher rank in their search results. :D

AdsensePro

I think longer content give better exposure to google to display ads. This might be the reason why google asking for 300 - 500 words post criteria minimum.

PluginForage

Google looks for quality content. Not long content. Non copied and non spun articles work best.

elcidofaguy

Having long content may pick up some long tail keywords on the serps but it wont help with ranking for a specific term - as SEOPub rightly points out content length is not a ranking factor... That said having great content which is informative, helpful etc can help with your conversions and decrease your serp bounce rate (different to site bounce rate) as at the end of the day when it comes to selling/promoting stuff online you also need to appeal to your end user - so even if really crap content is ranking, its unlikely to persuade someone to click on the buy now button if that is your intent....

In fact the other day I saw spun content ranking #1 for a keyword term... Somewhat surprised by it - as it was all gibberish would be interesting to see if it still ranks after a panda update...

Google's core algo is primarily based on links and as such backlinks from authoritative sites which are ranking well on the serps will give a boost to your own rankings as these count as votes... however the wrong type of backlinks will either do nothing or have a negative SEO effect.

Here is an example.
[URLnofo]https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pregnancy[/URLnofo]
Search the word "pregnancy", and pregnancy.com is ranking #1. There is no article on that page. It's ranking just fine.
There are tons of examples like this. So really, stop making crap up about SEO and actually do some research.
Nice example! Just a little worried that you're trying to get pregnant lol ;-)

[Edit] - Also don't forget that videos can also rank #1 - which goes to show that you don't even need written content...

jamesborner

Google love unique and meaningful content relevant to website. Google give more priority to website for unique content posting and it also help in Google ranking.

sharonbreemj

There is research that indeed there are more top rankings with long texts, maybe it's easier for Google to test this way who's more serious and have a better sum of an issue.

Susan

I don't think it is about the length of the article but google love unique contents .. However, the longer the article the more information that it provides ... if the long article is providing quality, unique and in-depth information to their users then it will rank higher

AndiLim

Its not basically about how long your article is, but its is the content that matters. It is about how fresh, original and engaging the content is. The longer the article the more relevant keywords you can insert, with that it can be easily found on search engine.

Carolyn Lewis

Well I think any person would google or search on google to get information about anything, so they want to make sure that whatever they present to people is of high quality and most importantly is correct.So good quality content is the only method to do that. I thinks its fair and square. :smart:

SEOPub

Its not basically about how long your article is, but its is the content that matters. It is about how fresh, original and engaging the content is. The longer the article the more relevant keywords you can insert, with that it can be easily found on search engine.
Google does not care about fresh, original, or engaging. There is overwhelming evidence that this is untrue.

Well I think any person would google or search on google to get information about anything, so they want to make sure that whatever they present to people is of high quality and most importantly is correct.So good quality content is the only method to do that. I thinks its fair and square. :smart:
Google is not judging if something is correct or not. How would they have any clue if something is correct? Google is not all-knowing.

SenseiSteve

SenseiSteve
I do think if your content is fresh, original or engaging, that visitors who do find your site will stay longer, reducing your bounce rate - and Google does pay attention to that. Content isn't entirely about ranking higher on Google anyway. It should be about providing value-add content to your viewers so that they will be more inclined to buy your products or servers, or share your site with others.

Reactions: aceofadsense

SEOPub

SEOPub
So if I provide the searcher with the complete answer they are looking for on a webpage and then they leave my site, Google is going to punish my rankings for that? Think about that for a moment. It makes zero sense.

Throw that in with the fact that Google has no idea what the bounce rates are on most of the pages of the internet (most websites are NOT using Google Analytics), and it is pretty easy to see why no credible SEO believes Google is using bounce rate in their rankings.

Now if someone comes to your page, clicks the back button on their browser, and then clicks another option in the SERPs, that is something Google can track and is likely something they are using in the SERPs.

Christopher II

Quality content always. I've actually realized Google directs me to brief content now... more than ever. You also have to keep in mind in today's world with social media, viewers and their attention span is that of a child when it comes to information. Sad but true.

Older threads
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.