Optimize SEO for my community

Namoh

Hey, I'm the owner of GeekZone and I'm wondering if there are any tips anyone can provide on how to SEO "better". I currently have my Google webmaster account setup with everyone setup to the best of my knowledge and some tutorials, I have also done the same with Bing. I have incoporated AdSense as well. I use XenForo for the forum software so that submits a sitemap frequently to the more important SEO sites (google, bing etc).

Is there anything else you recommend? Any other channel I could use to advertise? I'm active on Twitter, Facebook and DeviantArt.

Thanks

biGGuns

It sounds that your site is in early stage, let me make a few suggestions:

-Make sure that your onpage SEO is in decent shape.
-Register branded accounts on all the major social media and promote your content there.
-Take your best pieces of content, and promote them on forums and social media, you will get some traffic to your site and if they are linkable you may get some natural backlinks.
-Network with other webmasters in your niche, with intent to land a guest post on their blogs. (The target here is to secure a decent links, everyone knows that links are number one ranking factor)

Reactions: hoangvu

Namoh

Namoh
Hello bigGGuns and thank you for your response. I'll take the steps you recommended, however I'm wondering what "-Make sure that your onpage SEO is in decent shape" exactly means?

biGGuns

biGGuns

Here you go buddy, make sure that your site comply with this instructions:
Code:
https://yoast.com/wordpress-seo/

biGGuns

biGGuns
I wouldn't say it's useless. I don't know his level of knowledge, and in this beginner guide you can find a lot of solid info. I never said that, this is the bible of on-page SEO.

How about you give him some advises about Xenforo optimization?

SEOPub

biGGuns

biGGuns
Exactly my point. Xenforo or not, there are basic principals that OP can learn from well structured guide like the one Yoast provides (I am not his fan or something). It's a nice starting point.

No offence but his guide is waaaay more comprehensive than yours. I think it's a kind of obvious..

The truth is... everyone should gather info from different sources, and make conclusions on what perform better based on own testing.

SEOPub

SEOPub
No offense taken. Yoast's guide is certainly bigger, but it is also filled with a lot of things that don't actually work and/or are untrue.

Just for a few examples...

Breadcrumbs (total waste of links)
Meta Description (it's actually better to leave this blank in most cases)
Speed (despite Google's preaching there is no credible evidence that it has an impact, but telling people it does have an impact is a nice way to collect those VPS.net affiliate commissions for Yoast.)
Keyword Density (it benefits Yoast to hook people on this BS myth because it is one of the main reasons many people use the plugin.)
Pages vs. Posts (the guide lies about this. It makes no difference really. They are both just HTML. Google doesn't see a difference. You can obtain the same structure either way.)

I could go on... There is some decent stuff in there, but you better know what you are doing already so you can weed out the BS.

Namoh

Namoh
This is something I have already done, regardless of that guide being WordPress specific. I've done most of the basics already. There are addons and configurations in XenForo that benefits SEO which I have already done and some stuff that I just did myself.

biGGuns

biGGuns
I have to agree that you raise some valid points.

-Breadcrumbs - no one really can prove weather they work or not, in some cases they improve user experience.
-Meta - I agree on that, no direct ranking benefit, but if written well it can improve your CTR in the SERPs which is ranking signal, so we got indirect benefit here.
-Speed - tested many times, by me and people that I trust. Proven that matters!
-Pages vs Posts - I agree on that.
-KW density - you know that since Hummingbird that is very controversial topic.. many different opinions from know and unknown SEOs.

In the end you will hear hundred different opinions on a certain topic :) But like I said above, it all comes down to a lot of research and testing in order to form your own opinion, and believes.

hoangvu

Hello bigGGuns and thank you for your response. I'll take the steps you recommended, however I'm wondering what "-Make sure that your onpage SEO is in decent shape" exactly means?
Maybe you have not learned onpage SEO techniques before thus you didn't understand his answer.
You should have some seconds to browse and searching topics relate to on-page SEO on this forum
https://www.webmastersun.com/forums/10-Search-Engine-Optimization
So you will have concepts to apply for onpage SEO for your xenforo forum and better to ask questions about search engine optimization.

I wouldn't say it's useless. I don't know his level of knowledge, and in this beginner guide you can find a lot of solid info. I never said that, this is the bible of on-page SEO.

How about you give him some advises about Xenforo optimization?
I am having the same question, Does SEOpub have any tips/advices to optimize SEO for his Xenforo forum?

savidge4

If for a moment you forget all the rules and plugins and all the crap we try to follow and use for the sake of SEO and look at the driving force behind the whole thing.. we would be looking at content. Without content those plugins are not going to do a damn thing for you. Without content there is no sense in trying to even start to understand what Google or Bing, or Yandex whatand how to best optimize to get a decent ranking.

So if you have a page.. a site, a forum, a commerce site whatever it may be... and it is performing poorly in the search engines.. where do you need to start making changes? CONTENT.

More content is not better.. understanding how to group content by CONTEXT is really key here. In the world of Forums, it is the general thinking you need thread after thread filled with topic after topic... and if you look at the very basic principles of SEO this really isnt following the rules. It would be better to have a single thread on say "Pinterest" and have multiple solid articles listed there with forum member interaction. so you get thread that extends into 2 and 3 and 30 pages of posts on a single topic.

I have a Forum, its content target surrounds everything woocommerce specifically but Wordpress is dragged in there. WooCommerce the plugin has been downloaded some 11 million times or so. 2 years ago I focused on a theme that at the time had been downloaded 1 million times.. more so than any other WooCommerce targeted theme. ( its now over 2 million downloads ) that works out 2 1 in 5 people that have downloaded WooCommerce, have tried this theme. I have a single thread with 700+ replies, A decent amount of theme specific how to articles, and in terms of SEO I straight up DOMINATE most theme related search terms.

Content developed in CONTEXT is a winner every time. throw in some proper positioning, and moderate to low competition and you have a the makings of traffic success.

Abhijit Sao

I've just viewed your site, it was good page rank is 5.

prawalikaroy

Approach keywords strategically. Without proper keyword research, any SEO campaign is doomed to failure.
Strictly adhere to an originality rule.
Strategically adjust your site's navigation and internal links.
Optimize on-site elements across your site.
Optimize your site's load speed.
Don't buy links.
Be natural.

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.