WWW vs non-WWW - Which one is Better for SEO?

hoangvu

When I set up a new website and go to Google WMT and I saw 2 options, WWW and non-WWW. which one should I choose and do them affect search rankings?

Waiting for your valuable answers.

SEOPub

For a new domain, it doesn't matter, but you better pick one. For an existing domain, pick the one with the best links pointing at it.

Make sure you also redirect the other one in your .htaccess file. Users should not be able to access both the WWW and non-WWW versions. That can cause canonical issues and dilute your link strength.

Localnode

This below .htaccess code will re-write to www.
Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
#Force www:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mydomain.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mydomain.com/$1 [L,R=301,NC]
</IfModule>
While this will be without www
Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
#Force non-www:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.mydomain\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://mydomain.com/$1 [L,R=301]
</IfModule>

Hawker

You know, I was thinking about this the other day and was going to ask why we still use WWW at all.

If you look at all the biggest sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Google, Reddit etc etc etc

They all seemingly prefer to use the www in the URL.

When really, browsers don't need to use WWW to access a website.

The hyper text transfer protocol is enough to resolve the name to the IP and render the website.

So you have to ask, why do we still use WWW protocol at all?

Why do the biggest Internet sites use WWW in their URL?

And when it comes to your own site. Should you use WWW version or not? And should you redirect one to the other?

It's true that the WWW and the non-WWW version of your sites URL are seen as 2 separate URL's by Google (apparently) as SEOPub has pointed out.

Although it's also said that Google is much smarter than that these days and it doesn't count for much from an SEO perspective anyway.

And that's why it's a good decision to decide on the canonical URL from the start of any new site which version you're going to use and then redirect one to the other.

However, I personally think its a vanity thing and prefer not to use it as it also makes URL's much tidier.

I use this to redirect www to non-www and bind the IP to the domain (redirect IP to domain, prevents G indexing both).

Code:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^xxx\.xxx\.xx\.xx
RewriteRule (.*) https://mydomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]
Replace the x's with your sites IP.

But I think we should do away with the use of WWW altogether and forever!

Do you think that will ever happen? I suspect it will once the new Lifi Internet speeds are rolled out mainstream.

Can you imagine downloading 100GB movies and games in the blink of an eye?

It's coming!

Whitedwarfmedia

WWW vs non-WWW – SEO Benefits

There are absolutely no SEO benefits of choosing one over another. Even Google has said that it all depends on your preference.
What’s important is that you stay consistent with the one that you chose at the time of starting your website.
In other words, DO NOT change your site URL to add or remove www from it.

dinuanzz

When you add www. in front of a site, it acts as a hostname which can help with flexibility with DNS, ability to restrict cookies when using multiple subdomains, and more. Whereas non-WWW domains also referred as naked domains do not have a technical advantage. They are both equally as good with SEO.

hynds

At the end-uses side, I see that sites with www looks more nice and trust. So maybe it will get more click on SERPs. IMO

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
Marc van Leeuwen
It is not more different between www and non www for SEO but i agree with you www looks better and more trust than non www.

Google used www for their domain, i.e when you type google.com it will redirect to www.gooogle.com and now you know which is better and should apply for your domain names.

malikshahid3232

There is absolutely no benefit in SEO before choosing one or another option. Even Google said that it all depends on your preferences.
Really important that you remain on the option chosen at the time of the launch of its website.
In other words, NO NEED to change the address of your website to add or remove www from it.

milotmi

I'm using without www on my domain and I think this not harm by any way my seo

Abhishek_Jain

I agree with @seopub that for a new website you can choose any one. You need to look for if your website links are already indexed.

Aegis software

You can choose any of them as per your choice. www or without www doesn't affecting ranking so don't worry.

davebusiness86s

I don't have too much opinion about this... I don't know much about them. But I prefer a non-www one. It is more convenient when someone type in your website.

paul1129

Practically, they are both same. SEO is not effected whether you use a www version or not.

And in my opinion Google is much smarter these days.

kinexmedia

Hello Guyz

In my opinion as john muller said it doesn't matter which pattern you are using with www or non www. its depend on the canonical which google understand that its the main URL and we should build link with same as canonical and it would give you permanent solution

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.