Change in my hosting and domain provider?

Omer Farooq

Hi, I have been using a web hosting plan from a company based in my hometown and their services are excellent for a starter but if you want to expand your disk usage and traffic usage they don't have bigger plans available.

As I am learning to do seo now I need a bigger hosting plan to bring in more traffic or if I want to upload videos on my website in the future. To do this I must change my hosting provider and switch to another company.

Currently my domain name payment also goes to this company. When I will change my hosting and domain provider will it affect the already installed wordpress blog on my website or do I need to install wordpress again and build the blog all over again from the start?

Anyone who has this experience kindly tell me how can I change my hosting and domain provider in the best possible way without my wordpress blog being affected by the change?

ulterios

Hi,

If your current host has cPanel for it's control panel and the new one that you are going to be using does then they should be able to do a migration to the new service without any loss or change in your sites. Many hosts do this for free.

If you don't have cPanel at both hosts then you should still be able to do backups and transfer the site without loosing anything. If you don't know how to do this yourself then you should be able to find someone to do it for you at a reasonable rate.

Just make sure that the transfer is completed and everything has propagated completely before closing out your existing hosting service.

Good Luck. :)

ElixantTechnology

Hey Boss!

Most hosting providers that you choose from will include a free migration service to move all your stuff over for you; might I recommend submitting a sales ticket with whichever companies you are looking at to ensure that this is in fact possible? This might take a lot of stress off of your back in the end.

Localnode

Hi, I have been using a web hosting plan from a company based in my hometown and their services are excellent for a starter but if you want to expand your disk usage and traffic usage they don't have bigger plans available.

As I am learning to do seo now I need a bigger hosting plan to bring in more traffic or if I want to upload videos on my website in the future. To do this I must change my hosting provider and switch to another company.

Currently my domain name payment also goes to this company. When I will change my hosting and domain provider will it affect the already installed wordpress blog on my website or do I need to install wordpress again and build the blog all over again from the start?

Anyone who has this experience kindly tell me how can I change my hosting and domain provider in the best possible way without my wordpress blog being affected by the change?
In terms of migration - it has already been said.
I would also suggest taking a full backup anyway - you can restore from that as well.

Onto the domain.
Most people (hosts and others) would recommend keeping your hosting and domain separate - meaning for example if your hosting is with xyz company, your domain should be with abc company. It's sound advice, and I have seen people lose their domain many times by keeping it with their host - only for the host to vanish or seize the domain when said customer leaves. This probably wont happen with more established web hosts - but I'd suggest it either way - just in case.

laceibanet

Migrating is easy, if you go from cpanel to cpanel. If you do go to a different control panel environment, you might have to change a few things. Mostly the ip your database is looking for. You can easily do that through phpmyadmin and just update the site ip. Or you can also do it form your wp-config file. But usually the host helps out in these cases so you don't really have much to worry about. Ask the new host if they provide the help you need, if they don't you might want to look for one that does.

SenseiSteve

Way too many horror stories when a provider not only hosts the site but also the domain. I'd highly recommend moving your domain to a new registrar and then keeping the two separate. Good luck on your move.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views