Competition Analysis For Local SEO/Ads When In A Different State

ericplotz1

So one thread I have that received a lot of attention elsewhere is a thread I wrote on Local Business optimization. One of the really cool aspects of that thread was my implementation of comp. analysis for local SEO and advertising.

Its pretty simple and straight forward. My screenshot plugin wouldn't allow me to capture the entire screen, so forgive me and try to follow a long without the screenshots.

Anyhow,

1. Sign up for AdWords if you don't already have an account. Once in adwords click on the "Tools" tab and select "Ad Preview and Diagnosis" from the drop down.

Campaign Management – Google AdWords 2016-04-12 09-00-45.jpg

2. Now you should be in the tool.

Ad Preview and Diagnosis Tool – Google AdWords 2016-04-12 09-12-05.jpg

So if I want to search for "dentist office" and see what is shown when a person from Seattle sends the query, without having to type "dentist office in Seattle", which will give a different set of results and not gauge the true competition, I just fill in the fields above.

Here's the part where I couldn't capture the entire page. But after you fill in the fields and click "Preview", you will see:

- Maps Comp
- Organic Comp
- Advertising Comp

All from that local area.

I've been doing this since long before Google removed the ability to switch your location when browsing. So while everyone was freaking out, I was like "What on Earth are you talking about?"

SEMrush does an alright job, but is not as accurate as manually looking for the competition and then running them through SEMrush.

Cheers

Attachments

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.