Adding brand name or keyword into domain name, which one is effective for your business?

harrygreen90

Hello guys,

We our developer team is opening a new band site for selling/re-selling wordpress theme and plugin
and I want to ask if maybe it's necessary to choose a domain with an unique name or should we add keyword like "wordpress" "plugin" or "theme" into domain name, does it help for our business in long teem?

Thanks.

ulterios

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a domain that has "Wordpress" in it. That is a trademark violation of theirs and will cause problems at some point.

Wordpress has been cracking down on domains with their name in it lately. A friend just lost one of his in a UDRP (Wordpress basically got the domain for an admin fee of about $1500) that was making real good money. I told him but he wouldn't listen.

As for your name, I have always preferred a brandable domain over a keyword. Keyword domains can look cheap and a brandable domain can look more professional.

Here's another thread asking a similar question:

https://www.webmastersun.com/threads/13196-Keyword-rich-URL-vs-A-branded-site

MeowNinja

If you're thinking long term, I'd go with Brand for sure. Keyword, be careful, if you're doing SEO, exact match could be tricky (if you go for an EMD, that is).

Newer threads
Replies
Views
wms
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies