Is page rank off forever?

sumit_sharma

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether page rank is off forever in google webmaster tool or not?

WebmasterPhil

Google probably still uses PageRank internally but it's obviously trying hard to stay ahead of the game. SEO is kind of a detriment to Google rankings as it takes away Google's ability to rank pages authentically.

I think webmasters should focus on getting traffic from social media instead. It's difficult to keep chasing Google rankings when they keep changing the game all the time.

Last edited:

datamaya

Yes, pagerank for public use (on your browser) is no longer available, but still used for Google internal use. Most SEO practitioners nowadays focus more on DA (Domain Authority) and PA (Page Authority) than PageRank. It's still a question for me why Google removed PageRank toolbar and make it RIP.

vishwa

Google completely shut down page rank and did not provide details publicly. May be they are doing this to prevent link spamming, I think so. However they used pagerank internally for analyzing a site performance. I think don't bother yourself with pagerank and focus on creating quality site and drive traffic to it.

SEOPub

Google probably still uses PageRank internally but it's obviously trying hard to stay ahead of the game. SEO is kind of a detriment to Google rankings as it takes away Google's ability to rank pages authentically.

I think webmasters should focus on getting traffic from social media instead. It's difficult to keep chasing Google rankings when they keep changing the game all the time.

Trying hard to stay ahead of the game? Lol. They shared PR data publicly for over a decade. This is something they could have turned off at any moment. They kept it around because so many people were dumb enough to install the PR toolbar which gave Google tons of data on browsing habits.

With the popularity of Chrome, they no longer needed to rely on the PR Toolbar to get the same kind of info. In fact, I'm sure Chrome is giving them infinitely more data.

They never were sharing PR data as any kind of benefit to the community. It was 100% self-serving.

As for your advice on focusing on social media instead, that entirely depends on your line of business. A local dentist would be foolish to ignore SEO and focus on social media instead. Nobody is searching on Facebook for a dentist. They go to Google.

Yes, pagerank for public use (on your browser) is no longer available, but still used for Google internal use. Most SEO practitioners nowadays focus more on DA (Domain Authority) and PA (Page Authority) than PageRank. It's still a question for me why Google removed PageRank toolbar and make it RIP.
They turned it off because it no longer served a need for them. They provided it so they could spy on what people were doing online. It gave them lots of data to use. Chrome gives them way more data because it has a lot more users than the Toolbar ever did. The Toolbar simply outlived its usefulness.

Mike001

I don't think that Google tried to make it harder and harder for us, they just kept the target moving. You can't blame them for wanting to make money with their service, Christ that is what all of us are doing.

Chasing Page Ranking with Google always reminded me of the old rabbit on the track of the dog races. Anyone that is old enough to remember that is giving away their age by the way, but you knew that poor dog was going to chase that rabbit, even though that rabbit was never gonna be caught.

Kind of like chasing page ranking, at least in my view. We always chased it but few if any of us ever caught that rabbit.

Just a Thought.

Older threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.