How Can I Deindex Unwanted Pages from SERP?

prasad5nair

Recently I searched my site with "site:xyz.com" method for checking how many of my website pages has been indexed in SERP their I saw many unwanted pages has been crawled by Google with same Meta description that will definitely hit my website in panda.
Pages example: xyz.com/page1
xyz.com/page2
xyz.com/page3
xyz.com/page4
xyz.com/image
xyz.com/image

Please how can I permanently fixed this issue reply soon.

TheStrugglingNewb

First, you'll have to tell the search engines not to index those pages.

If you're using Wordpress, then you should be using an SEO plugin like Yoast, All in One SEO or something like that.

(I use Project Supremacy).

They all have a meta robots feature that will allow you tell the search engines which page and posts you want indexed.

Once you get that configured...

Then you'll have to wait on the search engines to crawl your site again and see the new settings.

You can also try to force Google to recrawl your site by going to Google Webmaster Tools and
choosing the 'Fetch as Googlot" option...

But you must already have your site set up there.

If you don't, go ahead and set it up, then use the 'Fetch' option.

Fred

EpicGlobalWeb

You can manually change it for Wordpress or any website with a robots.txt file uploaded to it.

Specifically you would make a text file (.txt) and call it "robots" like "robots.txt" - exactly that. You have to define two things and here they are:

User-agent
Disallow

In your case, you would type it as follows:

User-agent: Googlebot
Disallow: /page1

You can also use what's called a regular expression and disallow robots from a certain folder name like this:

Disallow: /.*this-folder/

Or in your case: Disallow: /.*images/

That expression will disallow robots from indexing any of your files inside of a folder called "images."

Note: only some search engines support regular expressions like this. I believe Google is one of them.

Second Note: This does not mean Google will refrain from indexing your site, though. If it is popular and relevant enough to a search, Google can index it anyway. I'm not sure if that's automated or manual though. But Google can ignore your robots.txt commands.

For extra credit & fun, you can trap robots in a JavaScript loop with a sitemap.xml file. Try and search how to accomplish this. That is a sure-fire way to give Google the finger if you choose :D

Last edited:

bl4ckhat

Just add this meta tag to the pages you want to be removed:
Code:
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">
Or if you use wp like previously suggested, use a plugin like all-in-one-seo

Williams Reus

It was how to deindex (get rid of) pages on his site that have already been indexed by Google and are now in the search results. That is different than most of the responses which are about how to stop Google from indexing something now and in the future.

You might visit Google's webmaster support for your answer here

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views