What is the most important aspect for a VPS server?

Simon46

I want to rent a VPS server for email using, I am a newbie of this aspect, I wonder what is more important for using a server, the CPU? the RAM? or the bandwidth, doe anyone have experienced before? I need your suggestion

Rob Whisonant

If you will be running scripts that use a lot of resources, then RAM is going to be one of the most important aspects. If what you are doing is going to be read write intensive then make sure the VPS has an SSD drive instead of a platter drive.

virtubox

If you want to use a VPS only for receiving or sending email, you don't need a powerful VPS. My own mail server is using HDD, it's 50x slower than SSD, but to receive my emails it doesn't make any difference. To run an mail server, you just need 2GB RAM to be sure it will never running out of memory.

SenseiSteve

In terms of resources, RAM would be important here. How many emails in what time frame will you be sending?

RapidDedi

How many emails are you intending to send per hour/day ? usually if your planing on sending a large portion of mails then you need more RAM.

TCoder

I want to rent a VPS server for email using
Make sure they don't relay your email, make sure you can send up your own mail server and not have it relay through their mail servers.

For Example, Don't use GODADDY and AMAZON SES.

Make sure they allow you to set up a rDNS, make sure you can add your own TXT records to DNS.

Then the other factors come into play.

mellisas

I want to rent a VPS server for email using, I am a newbie of this aspect, I wonder what is more important for using a server, the CPU? the RAM? or the bandwidth, doe anyone have experienced before? I need your suggestion
While purchasing VPS for E-mail hosting, make sure that you have asked vps provider to provide you VPS with whitelisted ip address, so that you won't face any E-mail rejected issue because blacklisted ip because many servers ip blacklisted in a company like spamcop etc therefore many E-mail servers rejected E-mails from such server, so be careful.

You can check ip blacklist status at mxtoolbox website.

Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant
I believe you mean "clean IP address" instead of whitelisted. An IP is either on a blacklist or not. When it is not, it is considered clean.

Also when using an IP to send mass email, it has to be warmed over time.

UWH-David

As Rob mentioned, RAM. I will go a step further and say RAM + Optimization. Too often a VPS or dedicated server of unnecessary size is used to make up for misconfiguration and lack of optimization and caching when not needed.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.