What programming languages should I learn for web development?

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
My goal is to build a funny jokes web online which has around 30 categories and hundreds of funny jokes. I have never coded before. I have done some research and I think I am more interested in "front-end" web development. Please correct me if the term is wrong. I don't want to learn creating graphics, it can be done later. I would like to know the best language to build a complete website, what should a newbie learn? I am pretty sure I will need the basics, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, am I correct?

Rob Whisonant

If the site has static pages you just need to learn HTML and CSS to start. If it will be pulling data from a database, then you need to also learn PHP and mySQL.

Ron Killian

Or save your self ALOT of time and frustration by going with something like Wordpress. Something that is already done for you.

You could have your site up and running by tomorrow. Instead of weeks or months (or longer) of coding something.

Not against coding, just can be a huge time waster for some people, for some projects. Since you've never coded, you could end up spending all kinds of time and not have much to show.

Just a thought :)

Mike001

As Rob said, begin with HTML and CSS, then if you decide that you want to really get creative with your site and make your jokes dynamically generated from a database you can add PHP and MySQL, not really needed up front in the beginning but adds to your abilities once you learn page structure and design.

Learning web development is a very rewarding career, if that is what interests you. It can be a lot of fun and give you a lot of challenges as you learn to develop and design web pages and web sites.

Or you could go the route Ron talked about and generate your site using WordPress, Joomla or one of the other out of the box systems. If that is more what you think you would like, but keep in mind that an out of the box CMS like WordPress has its own learning curve, and depending upon what you want to do that learning curve can be quite steep. Also you never have full control of your code using one of those systems as there are portions of those systems in the way that they are designed that are very difficult to modify, and they have security issues and are slow. That just goes with their popularity.

Start with HTML then move into CSS. I have a ton of free videos, well over 200 hundred, on my site that can get you started if you are really interested and if you have any questions just drop me an email from the site.

OnTargetHTML5 Video Tutorials

Good luck and have fun...

Last edited:

serversget

Yes WP is very comfortable but for web development i guess you need python and JS!

Ingener

Ingener
I'm also starting to set up the web with Wp, as I know Wp is a web development software with open source. So can you help me? Which programming language is convenient, easy to use with Wp? I want to develop my Wp web more friendly and useful.

EpicGlobalWeb

If you're comfortable with Python, sure, but the others said PHP will certainly suit your needs. PHP is very well-supported and documented. Python is too, of course, but PHP is the de-facto server-side language.

Theoretically you could use any programming language to manage your back-end.

vaughn

If you want to become a Web Developer, you need to know front development as well as Back end Development.For Front End Development you need to know following languages. According to your Website requirements use any combination of them.
  • HTML
  • CSS
  • PHP
  • Python
For Back End Development, go for SQL it is compatible for most web developing frameworks.

Claire_Anderson

If you want to be a web developer than you need to learn following languages. These are learned by every developer:
  1. HTML and CSS
  2. Javascript and Jquery

HTML is used to create the design of the website and CSS is used to design the layout of the website. HTML and CSS are very easy to learn and they will not take much time. After learning HTML and CSS, you need to learn one of these languages:
  1. .NET
  2. JAVA
  3. or PHP

You need to learn one language from JAVA, .NET, PHP, to create the functionality of the system. JAVA is considered difficult to learn as compared to PHP and .NET. But the projects build in java are sold in higher prices as compared to .NET and PHP. PHP language is easier to learn as compared to JAVA and .NET. It is used to create dynamic webpages.

To be a web developer, you also need to learn SQL(Structure Query Language) to create database.Every website needs to store the data of the users. The website data is stored in the database to keep it secure from unauthorized access. SQL is used to add, delete, insert and update data in the database. But to manage the database you need DBMS(Database Management System). There are different DBMS like MYSQL and ORACLE. You can use MYSQL for managing the database. You can choose between JAVA, .NET and PHP language but the rest of the languages are compulsory.

TCoder

My goal is to build a funny jokes web online which has around 30 categories and hundreds of funny jokes. I have never coded before. I have done some research and I think I am more interested in "front-end" web development. Please correct me if the term is wrong. I don't want to learn creating graphics, it can be done later. I would like to know the best language to build a complete website, what should a newbie learn? I am pretty sure I will need the basics, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, am I correct?
You're going to go through transitions from one to another, until you find a language you're comfortable with.

Try to take a class in a school to get your feet wet - then progress from there. You can do it with just videos, but it's always easier to understand when you can ask questions to an instructor and work as a team with other classmates.

Classroom will only take you so far, but it's a good place to get your feet wet.

William Bethman

As a beginner, you should learn HTML & CSS.
After that, you can move to HTL5 & CSS3.
Then obviously there is no end to learning, therefore, you can learn following as well to master your website designing skills:
JavaScript
Bootstrap
PHP
MySQL

grimgrinn

HTML with CSS for markup andlayout and PHP with JavaScript for dynamics

tamaodkk267

You must learn "back-end" too. "front-end" just a layout. There are many program language for you: Php, Ruby on rails, Asp.Net, java, etc..

dbs00

Just for this you don't need any coding experience.
Get wordpress and a Visual Builder like Divi or Elegant Themes . Id suggest Divi ( they have lifetime membership for unlimited personal sites or for your clients )
There are free visual builders as well.
Check Divi or Elegant Theme's blog, they have plenty of video tutorials

Tabassum

HTML is the most basic language you must familiar with for web development
then comes CSS, javascript and PHP

You can proceed the discussion more effectively on stack over flow!

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.