Specific Photoshop Tutorials?

Ron Killian

This really is a graphics question...

In my spare time my big hobby is woodworking. My favorite activity is scolling. So I have a need for patterns. I have quite a few pattern books, but i would like to make some of my own. Maybe even sell them, who knows.

But I am not proficient enough in photoshop to do it.

I just don't have the time to watch hours of tutorials, wish I did, could help in my biz as well.

So, I want to learn how to add elements into photoshop and be able to move, rotate, resize, scale and texturize those elements. Adding multiple elements and turning them into pretty much one piece. If that makes sense?

Any one of tutorials just for that? How would I even search for it?

Appreciate any input.

Please don't tell me about or send me to general photoshop tutorials, I can find plenty of those :) Useful replies please.

webdesign

Hey Ron,
You came right place to learn Photoshop :p, I can help you learn faster than videos or tutorials online by guiding you exactly which you are needing.
First off, I would like to know which version of photoshop is having on your PC?
I am using Photoshop CS3, it has no more different between CS1, CS2, CS3 or CS4

In my spare time my big hobby is woodworking. My favorite activity is scolling. So I have a need for patterns. I have quite a few pattern books, but i would like to make some of my own. Maybe even sell them, who knows.
What are your pattern books? can you attach some here? are they images and having transparent background? if yes then it will be easier for us to process or create any graphics as wanted.

But I am not proficient enough in photoshop to do it.

I just don't have the time to watch hours of tutorials, wish I did, could help in my biz as well.
You are right on this but sometimes its more useful to learn from videos.

So, I want to learn how to add elements into photoshop and be able to move, rotate, resize, scale and texturize those elements. Adding multiple elements and turning them into pretty much one piece. If that makes sense?
As said above, can you share any patterns so I can give you tips on how to do with them or combine all into one as wanted?

Ron Killian

I have CS4 (64 bit).

Pattern books as in real life hard copy, in hand books. They are all black and white.

What I do is make a copy (photo machine copy) of the pattern then put some spray adhesive on it, stick it on the wood and work on it on my saw. So the pattern is right on the wood so I can follow the lines.

So i would like to make my own patterns, maybe even borrow parts of others I already have, to make my own. Then print them out to use.

Oh, I would prefer video's. I just meant I don't have time to watch hours of video's to get to the ones that I can use.

Here is an example of what I mean:

[URLnofo]https://www.pinterest.com/pin/411235009708599237/[/URLnofo]

Hope I don't get in trouble posting the link.

Actually, here is something I made from a pattern:

shelf.jpg

Does this all make sense?

webdesign

Oh, I would prefer video's. I just meant I don't have time to watch hours of video's to get to the ones that I can use.

Here is an example of what I mean:

[URLnofo]https://www.pinterest.com/pin/411235009708599237/[/URLnofo]
I can put separated patterns here

23c322e13f240e5c720c3afffcb31afa.jpg

86c20d9c7f62137cf1fcd2ee578df9a5.jpg

59944073c8f7316d57c4e728a76f7610.jpg

blank-white-book.jpg

cdf6fec9850da19b550224f78178a285.jpg

AND you want to combine them (move, rotate, resize, scale and texturize those elements) into a book cover like these

How-to-be-a-professional-horse.png

the-old-ma-and-the-sea.png

Its exact what you are wanting to do?

Ron Killian

Ron Killian
Thank you for the reply. Not talking about ecovers, I can make ones like those.

I want to make my own patterns for my own personal use. I want to build patterns by adding say shapes. Say I put a star shape here, a flower shape there, ect. But I need to be able to place them where I want, or resize them, or rotate them.

I think I've seen it, but I can't explain it. It's like I can grab a certain shape or the ability to do so and work with just that shape or that one graphic element.

Need to be able to take a bunch of shapes and meld them into one pattern.

With scroll patterns, everything needs to be attached, or I cut it and it just falls out.

Don't know how else to explain it.

webdesign

webdesign
Ron,

Seem I am understanding what you wanted to build your custom shapes from Photoshop.

After some minutes with shapes I can get some shapes like you are talking about.

custom-shapes.png

Is that the thing you are wanting to explain? :D

Mike001

Two things off topic, only because based on the graphics I have to comment.

Ron, nice work on the shelf. I also do wood working as a part time hobby, not near as much as I would like, but I really enjoy working with wood it is just relaxing to me. That shelf design is really nice work, very intricate. I really like it. I also work with a scroll saw quite a bit when I have time and looking at that I can see the time that was involved in making it. Nice job.

Webdesign, obviously you are very good with photo shop and have a great eye. As a web developer I wish I could manipulate graphics like that. I have never been very good working with graphics.

Cool additions guys.

Reactions: webdesign

webdesign

webdesign
Hello Mike, you gave me too many good words, I only know a little about Photoshop and more for web design. Just pick up some patterns from Ron's link and combine them together according to what I thought, just for fun and for examples. I don't know it can match what Ron asking or not.

It took me 15 minutes to choose images and combine images into those two book covers, its not so difficult to do and if Ron want to know how to do, I can send him some guide.

Ron Killian

Ron Killian
Thank you on your kind words. Actually the shelf is kind of my own design, somewhat. Not that it's that fancy. I had a pattern for the shelf brackets, I just scanned it into photoshop and resized it to fit the shelf board. Then printed them and cut them out. I added the wood balls and dowels myself. I am into Victorian styles.

Wish I had pictures for the things I've made with the scroll saw. Things I've made for friends and family.

Sounds like we maybe should start a woodworking thread in the general discussion area. :)

I know what you mean about not having the time. My shop (my part of the garage) is s big mess. Between working on the business, fixing quick a few things around the house and the last few months the garden has taken quite a bit of my time. Really want to get out there though.

Ron Killian

Thanks for the reply.

I do know about shapes in Photoshop, have used them a few times here and there. Think I even imported some a while back.

But yes, that is getting closer.

Thing is I need to know how to be able to say select those shapes and work with them. As i mentioned, to move, resize, rotate, ect. Think I've seen where you can put a "handle" on them and work with them that way. I just don't know how to do that.

I was thinking last night, maybe I could put each shape on it's own layer. But that could add up to lots of layers. Though I don't think that make too much diff in photoshop. But I am not an expert.

Also, I would most likely want to import shapes, say scan in. Maybe I could even add them to the photoshop shapes list/selection? Don't know if that is possible, but could be VERY handy.

Maybe that is my best bet, to figure out how to add them shapes to photoshop as shapes. Might be much easier to work with. And I could probably find video's on that. Now you have me thinking. :)

Does this make sense?

webdesign

But yes, that is getting closer.

Thing is I need to know how to be able to say select those shapes and work with them. As i mentioned, to move, resize, rotate, ect. Think I've seen where you can put a "handle" on them and work with them that way. I just don't know how to do that.
Ok if that is getting closer to which you are wanting to create then do with this example

I create some basic shapes in Photoshop to guide you how to move, resize, rotate,...ect.

ron1.jpg

When you create some custom shapes like the image above

Press v to select move tool and click on the shape you want to move

Make sure that Auto-Select: layer is chosen.

ron3.jpg

Now right click on the shapes

ron2.jpg

You will see a list of commands like scale, rotate, transform, skew, distort...etc and choose one for you.

If you want to move, click and drag your shape on the stage to move your objects.

Also, I would most likely want to import shapes, say scan in. Maybe I could even add them to the photoshop shapes list/selection?
of couse you can create your own pattern and adding them into shapes list for using later

Using rectangular tool by press M on the keyboard to switch to it

Drag on the object like this ( Note: remember that you need to make the background transparent when creating this)

ron4.jpg

Next step is click on Define pattern...

ron5.jpg

It should look like this

ron6.jpg

Named it as Ron's pattern (for example :D), click OK to save it

Done, now you can use this pattern for next time if wanted.

I would most likely want to import shapes, say scan in.....Don't know if that is possible, but could be VERY handy.
Scan an image/a picture into your PC?

Why not, you can scan or get pictures from your smartphone or a digital camera, after that, using Pen tool (press P) and creating paths from those images. Save paths or fill paths with colors and you can have custom shapes from your pictures from some devices. This is pretty complex and if you are interested, I can guide you in next steps :D

Hope that helps!

Ron Killian

See, now I think that is what I was looking for. I'll have to mess around and see how it works.

As for scanning, I just thought they might have to be converted, or if they could to be converted to photoshop shapes. Seems it might be easier if they were in the shapes menu. Should be easier to use and I could reused them. And looks like patterns are the way to go?

Probably alot of free shapes out there as well, never really looked.

Thank you, this has been very helpful :)

Rob Whisonant

What you are wanting to do may actually be easier to do using a vector graphics (drawing) program like Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape. Just a thought.

webdesign

What you are wanting to do may actually be easier to do using a vector graphics (drawing) program like Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape. Just a thought.
Of course and they can give us vector images more sharpen and smooth, but it's better to learn Photoshop first before learning creating shapres with Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw or Inkscape..etc

See, now I think that is what I was looking for. I'll have to mess around and see how it works.

As for scanning, I just thought they might have to be converted, or if they could to be converted to photoshop shapes. Seems it might be easier if they were in the shapes menu. Should be easier to use and I could reused them. And looks like patterns are the way to go?

Probably alot of free shapes out there as well, never really looked.

Thank you, this has been very helpful :)
Let make shapes with tools in Photoshop, it is enough for you at this time.
when you say "I can do whatever custom shapes with Photoshop" then it is right time to learn next steps with scanned images and existed vectors which you can get shapes from them.

Ron Killian

That is an idea. Though I don't have Illustrator right now. I use to have it several years ago but never used it much. About as much as I used Freehand. Have to see if I even have an old copy. Who knows how old.

Inkscape sounds familiar. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Probably try Photoshop first because I know a little about it. Well, I use it every day, but not advanced stuff. Actions do most of my stuff. :)

Of course and they can give us vector images more sharpen and smooth, but it's better to learn Photoshop first before learning creating shapres with Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw or Inkscape..etc

Let make shapes with tools in Photoshop, it is enough for you at this time.
when you say "I can do whatever custom shapes with Photoshop" then it is right time to learn next steps with scanned images and existed vectors which you can get shapes from them.
Sounds like a plan. Hopefully I can find some time in the next couple days. Want to try it, just not a priority.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll reply here if I get stuck.

webdesign

webdesign
No. It is not a plan, just steps you need to follow and do when you learn somethings need for you.
For example, for a Photoshop book , you can not read immediately page 300 without reading previous pages, you will not know how to do things in page 300. Thats the reason why I said you should learn tools and create shapes in Photoshop before you want to create shapes from vector images, scanned images or creating shapes from other graphics softwares...etc.

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.