Effective Landing Pages That Convert

EpicGlobalWeb

This is a collaborative post meant to discuss all the aspects of a great landing page. It has been discussed in bits and pieces before, but this should be more of a standard. Would like to hear from the experts. My ideas of an outstanding landing page are:

1. Very large, animated graphics or images
2. Contrasting, vibrant colors
3. Image sliders w/ Internal Specials
4. Frequent calls-to-action
5. Standardized design structure (so users know where to look for contact info, brand, and phone number if applicable)
6. Pop-up modal fade-in forms on page entry
7. External advertising

Should also add, for advanced users, that "something to do" will reduce bounce rates. This could be search or some kind of interactivity. HQ graphics can help solve this issue. But the goal should be how to keep the user on your site longer than 8 seconds, which is roughly 1.6 years in internet time :D

Rob Whisonant

Add a timer that says in 15 seconds I will send you $100 by PayPal. That should keep them on the page over 8 seconds. :)

EpicGlobalWeb

But then a script that always redirects at 14 seconds!

lkovnih226

1. Very large, animated graphics or images
Make your page load slowly and visitors will not focus on your content and which you are offering them.

2. Contrasting, vibrant colors
It depends, but you should not use so many colors.

3. Image sliders w/ Internal Specials
I don't like sliders, it should not have on a landing page, just my personal opinion.

4. Frequent calls-to-action
Yes we should add on the page, it seems a must.

5. Standardized design structure (so users know where to look for contact info, brand, and phone number if applicable)
I like this when visiting a landing page, it makes me easily contact the sellers or make me trust their services.

6. Pop-up modal fade-in forms on page entry
I don't like popup.

7. External advertising
It should not have on a landing page that offering any services/products.

Just my 0.02 ¢s!

Website Design Ltd

For us, it's all about content.
The amount of people we see with a great quality design but lackluster content is abhorrent.
High quality images are a must. There's nothing worse than a fuzzy header image that's completely the wrong size or orientation.
I completely agree with you on frequent calls to action. Any landing page should have clear directions on the next step in the process. The user journey should never become shrouded in mystery, and that's where well written, informative content comes into play.
Not so much of a fan of vibrant/contrasting colours. I really think it depends on the tone of the website/organisation. There is certainly a case to be made for more neutral colour schemes online.
I also agree with lkovnih226's point that external advertising doesn't really have a place on a landing page where you're trying to offer your own products or services. Even if they're completely unrelated, they serve as a distraction from the point of the page, which should be for you to convert or inform.

EpicGlobalWeb

I should clarify what I meant by "External Advertising" which was actually advertising that pointed to the landing page and not ads that go to other destinations within the site. I probably should have said "PPC campaign" or similar.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.