How to find changes between files

YacaZG

Hello

Do You know any tool, which can compare folder and files, for example fresh install version of wordpress and wordpress folder downloaded via ftp from the server.

For example:
My website is infected by malware. I need to download website via ftp and looking strange files, different between weight or files names, etc. (to find changes with malware)

Wordpress have thousands of files and do it manually is very hard.

Is any tool, which compare infected folder with WP from server, with fresh copy of WP downloaded from wordpress.org

?

webdesign

Hi YacaZG

If My website is infected by malware then you don't need to compare files or folder to find malwares because it will be difficult to do comparisons in this case.
Instead that, there are some ways to completely remove malware from your WP site and adding security levels to your site to make it better secure. In my experience, malware will be added according to following places
- Your Wordpress theme folder
- Database
- Plugin files

How to remove malware

- Download your site to your PC and using a virus program to scan all files files, this option can help you find out virus/malware if they are in your files.
- Delete all files on your hosting and reupload a fresh copy of WP from wordpress.org
- Upload your theme backup or re-download theme files if you use a paid theme.
- Check your MySQL database, finding base64 if existed in your database content.
- Remove all plugins and reinstall them.
- Change username/password of your admin account
- Secure WP-admin and allow your IP only to access this folder

If you are using a share hosting, you should move to a VPS, it will be better and avoid local hack.
I recommend a VPS plan on this forum section: https://www.webmastersun.com/forums/131-VPS-Hosting-Offers

If you only want to compare content between files/folders then there are many tools on the internet, Google it.

Hope that helped!

YacaZG

Thanks for answer

- Check your MySQL database, finding base64 if existed in your database content.
What is thaht? How to do that? In phpMyAdmin?

webdesign

webdesign
Export your MySQL database to your PC and using a program to open it. Using search function to find text or manually view its content to find out doubted content/codes.

For phpMyAdmin, you can find strange tables if they don't belong to your web system then you should remove them immediately.

YacaZG

ok, thanks for help

webdesign

webdesign
You are welcome!

Honestly I have clients' site that got same problem like you and I used ways above combining other tools and could solve them.
Nowadays, WP sites easily got hacked and we need to have knowledge how to protect WP sites and solve problems if it happens.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
ReH

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.