Hello, need some guidance

Bigsby

Hi Im Bob and also new to site and am currently working to develop a new website and using Dreamweaver at the moment and spend most my time collecting data and making sure have a decent understanding of each type of language and how it correlates to the page. The issue am having is friend wants me to get a domain name cause he has a friend who put together a site he said could use. I noticed its actually two open source open source sites so am kind of skeptical with making the whole site open source with no solid structure like traditional dbms's. Im not a big fan of slapping something together with no knowledge about what am doing so naturally think would be better just to use a host that offers dbms services. I was just thinking would be better to have a structured db and use the open sources apps to work with it. So my question is what is a better choice sql or nosql and what languages should i look into more to make sure am somewhat up to date with deployment. Also would it just be a waste to get a domain name when dont have a complete website? Can you put like a landing page with general info and potential release what are some advantages of having a domain name and hosted services? I have alot more questions but want to start here first any advice would be greatly appreciated.

johnyplex

skullofskill

Hey there Bigsby, I would suggest that if you buy a domain, it be because you're serious about branding a name, or to use the domain as part of SEO to market a product. As far as hosting, if you answered that you are serious about branding a company name, and/or, use it for SEO, then I suggest getting hosting before ever parking a domain with a domain registrar during the time before your website goes live. Not only will the domain registrar park advertisements on the placeholder page that you get no cut from, but you will be delaying the inevitable of having a host once your website does go live.

Once you get hosting, your SQL abilities are readily available to you for if you need to store data. And no worries, you will still be able to create HTML5/CSS3 websites that have no database management system as well. And just so you know, the language that is responsible for connecting to, and manipulating, your databases is PHP. Add PHP to your list of languages to learn.

The benefits of Having a domain is having a sign to your storefront. If you have a subdomain attached, then the name of the free host will then be part of your identity as people start remembering you. And having a domain name is great for the email address identity. Would you prefer [email protected], or [email protected]? Professionalism.

The benefit of having a host is it gives your domain name a home, rather than be parked someplace doing absolutely nothing. Free hosting provide sub-domains, but ask yourself, 'Do my website visitors want to try and remember, http://mycompany.freehostingcompany.com, instead of, http://mycompany.com?".

Get set-up with a host and domain before you start, because if you change your mind later, all the linkage to everything will get broken, and you will have to re-establish your identity, and pretty much all of the indexing and SEO that used to be connected to you.

I hope I helped you some.

Bigsby

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me was kinda caught up in so much stuff gets overwelming..lol I appreciate the help very much

Steve32

Welcome to the forum Bob !

Enjoy your stay and looking forward to reading your posts. :)

Steve

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views