Silly Question: Do blogs rank better than HTML built websites?

Developer

OK, silly question, I know, but do blogs rank better than say a website created using PHP or HTML5?

I am thinking the most important components are the content and navigation which is not something that relies solely, or strictly, on whether the CMS is WP or custom coding, so, I am assuming whether or not the site is setup via blog or hand coding, that doesn't really matter.

Assuming that the value of content and the navigation structure are of equal quality, am I correct in assuming all that? Or do wp blog sites rank better?

SEOPub

Blogs do not get any special treatment, but I can almost guarantee that some idiots will post after this saying that Google loves blogs. There will probably also be a few posts saying that Google prefers fresh content and regularly updated websites.

Don't listen to them. Blog or not, WP, Blogger, some other CMS, or just plain HTML, it doesn't matter to Google.

There will also be those claiming that Google loves Wordpress. More nonsense. In fact, I could make the argument that from an SEO point of view, Wordpress is one of the worst CMS's out there out of the box.

StasVa

For search engine and robots there's no difference between blog page or html landing page. For them every page is a simple html structured document. They cannot see backend code and they have no reasons to give preference to any particular site. And I'm wondering what are the major structural differences between blog and news site? The word "blog" in the description or what?

jitendrasurve

Blogs rank well because blog writers keep writing fresh content on the blog. Html website are static website, content are not added regularly. Search engine loves fresh and unique contents. So i would suggest to add a blog section for website as well.

StasVa

StasVa
Blogs pages ranks like any other page.
Blog page - is a html page either. Actually there is no such thing as a "website" for Google, they works with pages and domains.

The reasons why blogs are so suggested by marketers:
1.It's a good marketing instrument to work and interact with your audience, to collect e-mail base, to show your expet level and increase the confidence, to bring traffic from long tail keywords. Maybe by some great posts you can bring some great backlinks (read: authority) to your domain.
2.There is a lot of dropout marketers in market who suggest blogs and thousands of post (great content like they say), explaining that Google loves content and blogs and do not even understand how it works in reality.
3.*It's very profitable to sell content constantly and to receive a certain budget for the blog every month, using the fact that customers are often poorly versed in this area.

shivanshis4

Yes, they do. The reason is - they are updated time to time by the blogger. So, the search engines will come to them again and again for crawling the newer content. It helps in maintaining a better repo

Elisabeth Kuhn

Oh my! I have to admit I too am a firm believer in the "Google loves WordPress blogs" theory, and I'm sticking with it, in part because it motivates me to keep blogging. Yup. Very self-serving!

And there's a reason why blogs work better for most people: Blogging is EASY!

Imagine you have a website and it's all in HTML vs. having one that's a WordPress blog.

Which one do you think you'll be able to grow faster, putting in about the same amount of effort (say 2 hours a day, or even 2 hours a week)?

I'd say, the blog! Because it's EASY! You open up a new file and type, add an image with the click of a button, optimize the SEO, and send it out into cyberspace.

And if you're really motivated, you share it in a few places too.

Now imagine you had to create a new HTML web page... Maybe if you're really good at it and you're using templates, it won't be all that hard either, but still...

Actually, ever since I discovered how to edit my HTML pages from Cpanel, it lost its intimidation factor and I've been updating a lot of sites I hadn't touched in YEARS!

But I STILL like WordPress better!

The only drawback? The blogs are so darn bulky and take up so many inodes in my hosting account. If it weren't for that, all my sites would be WordPress. But as it is, I keep a few minisites around in HTML, though I will have to update those soon to make them mobile friendly. Well, that's another plus for WordPress because my WP sites are all mobile friendly now.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...

They might be easier to use for some people to use, but that is not the question here.

Google, and other major search engines, do not care if someone is running an HTML website or using a CMS like Wordpress.

In fact, from an SEO perspective, I could easily make the argument that Wordpress, out of the box, is one of the most SEO unfriendly CMS's out there. It's one of the reasons there are so many SEO plugins out there for it.
You're right, SEOPub! Out of the box, WP blogs are definitely less than optimal. But with the right plugins, i.e., the Yoast SEO plugin, they work great.

SEOPub

SEOPub

They might be easier to use for some people to use, but that is not the question here.

Google, and other major search engines, do not care if someone is running an HTML website or using a CMS like Wordpress.

In fact, from an SEO perspective, I could easily make the argument that Wordpress, out of the box, is one of the most SEO unfriendly CMS's out there. It's one of the reasons there are so many SEO plugins out there for it.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Ric
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.