It is required to have .com/net/org domain for SEO reasons?

arindamb

It's required to have many domain extensions for SEO? not only using .com only. I want to start some small niche sites with these domain extensions and help SEO for main site but don't want to waste my money if there are not necessary.

vishwa

Domain extensions has nothing to do with SEO. As Far as I can SEO score of a website doesn't rely on its domain extension. You can use any top level domains like .COM,.NET,.ORG etc. Make sure that your extension will not be of free like .co.nr,.cc etc.

Salmonjames

I think it makes no difference on your SEO strategy. However, it will only safeguard you from one thing that no one would be able to cash your efforts in future. Here, I would just quote a site as an example. Say you have a website and you spend a lot of time and do each and everything to make it successful. Now what if someone else buy the same domain in .com What would you do? Would you rather let things go on by this?
SO in my viewpoint, this only ensures that your efforts may not get en-cashed by someone else.

Salmonjames

I would agree with tunescool who said that at the end you would've regrets if you had got side domain too.
Majority of the businesses who have vision for future growth, they simply never go for one domain. As a matter of fact the businesses that have vision and growth in their mindset, they will always want to take all possible domains with all extensions so no one in future can buy, compete or blackmail them in any event.

Zack

The domain extension has nothing to do with SEO unless you have a country code extension in which you would get some kind of SEO benefits in the local search results pages.

I would stick with a domain extension that was at least somewhat common though so people will recognize it and be more comfortable with the site. That's not really an SEO factor though.

Salmonjames

Yes this is absolutely not. However, TLD's have something to do with SEO and it counts little bit in it. As an example, google will always consider .com as more promising then .net
Moreover, again this is for the benefit that counts in the long run, if you grow your business then in future, you should be considering this factor what if someone else had got same sites with other extensions? So you will definitely not like to skip this opportunity at all and let others take advantage of your future efforts.

StasVa

Do not worry about it. It all depends on your preferences, that's don't matter with SEO.

Yes this is absolutely not. However, TLD's have something to do with SEO and it counts little bit in it. As an example, google will always consider .com as more promising then .net
Moreover, again this is for the benefit that counts in the long run, if you grow your business then in future, you should be considering this factor what if someone else had got same sites with other extensions? So you will definitely not like to skip this opportunity at all and let others take advantage of your future efforts.
Google never considered .net less promising then .com .
What is the difference between them ? $ 1.99 in their price?

There is no reasons why Google should consider that the site on .com domain is more authoritative or relevant then any other.

Salmonjames

Thanks but to be honest let me say that I am new and I have come to know from my senior SEO fellows that domain extensions have to do with this thing.
OK why is that we always see .com results always on the top and not the domains that have .net in their extension.

Salmonjames

Thanks for making things even more clear. Even I acknowledge that Google does not hate with these. However, this is about the preference and this is what I am talking about because Google always prioritize the TLD's thus letting other things to remain aside.

FreebieBoy34

It's required to have many domain extensions for SEO? not only using .com only. I want to start some small niche sites with these domain extensions and help SEO for main site but don't want to waste my money if there are not necessary.
Not really... I think these stuff doesn't affect much your SEO because Google don't consider these as paramaters for website ranking...

hynds

For almost gTLD domains, they're all good choices. However, it depends on what purpose you should buy your domain, building your own business or investment? And depend on who are your target audiences, if someone build a website for his local customers then ccTLD domains the best choice. However .COM is the best and then .NET, .ORG, .INFO,...For ccTLD, I think those are .IN, .CO, .IO, .ME,...

AMBTL

Search algorithms change, and one day SEs may slightly favor .coms or not favor them, only to change the algorithm later.
What's more important is that for many visitors .com is the default TLD, so they subconciously enter example-website followed by .com into the address bar. (if they enter the site directly because they already know it).
If another guy has a .com site about the same thing and you have a .net or .org site, basically you just drive traffic to his site. The other guy will certainly be a big fan of yours.

davebusiness86s

I don't think the domain has anything to do with how Google rank you, except if you are using a subdomain like .blogspot.com
What important is when people look at your website domain and they see .cc, .club,... they hardly going for it. .com doesn't affect your SEO, but it will increase your traffic a lot more than others. The goal for niche sites is traffic after all, so why should you choose the hard way?

Sam

The extension of a domain is just to identify a disposition of a site. Search engines don'r rank domains or domain extensions, but they do rank pages. However, if you have a brand name that you'd like to show in your domain, it is recommended to get the popular domain extensions too, such as .com, .org, .info, etc. With such a way, you would protect your internet marketing benefits especially in branding, in case if your brand is getting popular.

Elisabeth Kuhn

The main reason why you want a .com domain (other than the fact that it is more valuable if you try to sell it) is that people automatically type in .com because they're so used to it.

So if you want to lose traffic to the competition, go with .org etc. for popular domain names...

This is particularly a problem if you communicate the domain name in a teleseminar or on the radio etc., where people then have to type it in and might remember it wrong. If they just have to click on it, it's not a problem.

Then again, I've actually done quite well with several .info domains, especially if part of the purpose of the site was to provide information. I had one rank very well for a very competitive keyword too! Well-chosen keywords in the domain and lots of great content does the job nicely. Ah, yes, and a few backlinks too, from press releases and such.

Brandfuge

I agree with the others comments.
Domain extension doesn't reflect in SEO. Nowadays Google started loving the small businesses than the big brands. So you can have your local domain extension than .com..

The world become very competitive, You cannot serve to the whole world .com, Just have your local domain extension .ca, .nl, in..etc

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.