Can We Become Rich By Running Web Design Business?

datamaya

Hello,

Do you guys think we can become quite rich by running web design business?

I'm not talking about ultra-rich like Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Page/ Sergey Bin, or Steve Jobs. Just rich enough to buy a good house, some great cars, travel around the world at least once a year with your family, buy some cool gadgets, you get the point.

I've never met people with profession as website makers having that kind of rich. They're just doing good enough money to have a decent life, but not really rich. Even if a website is charged around let's say $ 2,500 - $ 5,000 (which is usually a very customized website) that also doesn't help much to make the owner significantly rich, because that kind of website usually takes around months to a year for completion, which means the cost is also high.

I myself also do website stuff as one of my businesses, and as far as I concern about pursuing dreams of becoming that kind of rich, this question always comes to my mind.

What do you think guys? :)

Rob Whisonant

If you are going to do all the work yourself then no, you will not get rich. If you start a website design business where you are hiring designers, graphic artists, etc... And you know how to bring in the business... Of course you could get rich.

The key here is bringing in enough business.

Reactions: datamaya

datamaya

datamaya
Hi Rob,

How could hiring people make any difference in term of being rich in this business?

Doesn't it also mean more cost (to pay their salaries)?
If the key is just to bring enough business in, can I not be rich if I just go solo (as a freelancer, maybe)?

Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant
You only have so many hours in a day. You only can handle so much work. When you hire employees, freelancers, contractors etc... You can take on a lot more jobs.

Of course your expenses go up when you have to pay people. That's the way it should be. But, so does your profit. Here is an example.

You working alone.
Let's say you can handle 3 small design jobs a day. You profit $300 for the day.

You managing the business and hiring others to do the work.
Let's say you hire 10 people and each can handle 3 small jobs a day.
You pay them $75 per job and keep $25 as your profit.
So you make $750 per day.

What would you prefer? Do all the work and make $300 a day or hire people and make $750 a day?

You can't scale a business where you do all the work. You can when you hire others to do the work.

Mike001

I run a web design business as one of the many things that I do now and I have to agree with Rob.

When I first started out I did most of the work myself, not all, but most myself. I did this long enough to get a good handle on how long tasks should take, how long jobs should take based on complexity, and how difficult it was to bring in new business.

Once I had a handle on the major tasks of the business, I began to hire staff to fill those roles. Since I had a good understanding of what the role actually consisted of and how it should be filled, it made my hiring process much easier.

I made myself available, as time permitted, to fill in in the development and help out on bidding projects and building the business. 16 Years later I have built a very successful web development business. It took time and dedication but if you stick with it you can build a good income from that type of business.

Of course, this was just one stream of income that I depend on, as I still design complex public safety communications systems for a large communications company, and I teach at a University.

Any one of these will produce a respectable income. When you combine them you have a very good income, that is pretty much inflation and economy proof. I have found over the years that as one area dips, the other areas rise. So it is a good way to stay busy, stay ahead of the employment curve and generate a good revenue stream.

BestProxies

Can you - depens on your own min. How rich? By earning millions or more? That is a bit unrealistic but creating web design could give you a nice profit for sure if you can find your channels. You should build a website for yourself - and publish your already done works there so the future clients could see your potential.s

SethTurin

Depending on where you live, I think this shouldnt be that difficult if you have a successful web design business.
Have you ever worked in a web design business?

Unrelated: I think it is sad that you described being rich as having a modest income, a stable career, and vacation time. :(

Ruesnam

Totally agree with Rob,

What you need to keep in mind is that being rich does not depend on the type of activity(even if it's easier in some fields than in others), but on the global vision you have, all what you need to do to maximize profits, a way for that is, like it was said above, to have the greatest business as possible and thus ===> to hire.

w3master

Web design business can make you money as well make you rich,,, It all depends on how you analyze and project the site virtually making the client satisfy and wining the contract, practically the projection should be clear and easiliy understandable for a user to access then the client is with you. Rather speaking commercials intially educate the client with merits and demerits and the more the knowledge is transfered the more likely chances to win the contracts, simultaneously you need to have good team to handle the bigger assingments and also should be capable enough to size up the team if required

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.