Buying Domains of my Brand with Different Domain Extensions - is it a Good Idea?

Justin Philipps

Hello, will it be a good idea (for Online Reputation Management and branding purposes) to buy domain names related to my brand with different TLD extensions? For example, my original website is facebook.com, is it alright to purchase facebook.net, facebook.biz and facebookblog.com and make websites out of those domains? Will they all rank on the search engines when I search for the brand name "facebook"?

I am quite confused, is there any websites that have done this and ranked pretty well on search engines?

mukesh

dont buy all domains related to your brand, if you want to run multiple websites then buy domains related to your product and get them ranked for top with your brand.

SEOPub

Hello, will it be a good idea (for Online Reputation Management and branding purposes) to buy domain names related to my brand with different TLD extensions? For example, my original website is facebook.com, is it alright to purchase facebook.net, facebook.biz and facebookblog.com and make websites out of those domains? Will they all rank on the search engines when I search for the brand name "facebook"?

I am quite confused, is there any websites that have done this and ranked pretty well on search engines?
Yes, that can work. At the same time, I can rank abcxyz.com for the term "facebook" if I do the right things and put enough money and effort into it. It is not automatic that facebook.net or facebook.biz would rank for "facebook". You still have to put the work into ranking them.

paul1129

Its doable that's true. But its lot of work.

Jack42

IF facebook, twitter or google word included in your domain it doesn;t mean that you can get rank on Google. You still need to put an effort in On-page and off-page SEO. You must need to increase your site metric for taking place on the first page of Google.

Ruesnam

I don't know what's really your purpose by doing that. Regarding search engine ranking, I don't think it would help. The only interest of doing such a thing, is to prevent some potential "competitors" to create a site with the same name, but with a different TLD extension, to attract your traffic, making them thinking that they're going on your site (In one way, steeling your brand name). But only big companies are exposed to this kind of risks.

Justin Philipps

We're thinking of doing this to bury the negative results that's appearing when someone searches for our brand name. We are also planning to make websites with a slight alteration but still contains our domain name (for example, if my website is facebook, I'll use the domain "facebookaffiliates.com" for it to act as an affiliate website for our brand. I just want to know if it would be possible.

I don't know what's really your purpose by doing that. Regarding search engine ranking, I don't think it would help. The only interest of doing such a thing, is to prevent some potential "competitors" to create a site with the same name, but with a different TLD extension, to attract your traffic, making them thinking that they're going on your site (In one way, steeling your brand name). But only big companies are exposed to this kind of risks.
Yes, that can work. At the same time, I can rank abcxyz.com for the term "facebook" if I do the right things and put enough money and effort into it. It is not automatic that facebook.net or facebook.biz would rank for "facebook". You still have to put the work into ranking them.
Which methods do you think are the most effective ones to make this happen?

NichBi

you have to know about PBN technique?? If you don't know then let's find out about this technique, it's a difficult technique but will be useful if you know how to use to build the brand.

Zack

If money is not a concern then you can buy them just for brand protection if for nothing else. I would only worry about the main ones because there are so many different domain extensions out there that trying to buy them all can get expensive.

I'm curious as to why you would want to split your efforts into trying to rank multiples for the same thing though. Wouldn't it be better to put all your time money and efforts into one site in it's niche?

grubble

Snapping up multiple TLDs in order to protect your brand is definitely a good idea, but what's questionable is having separate websites for each. I'm not sure if it would be actively harmful (perhaps not so bad if they're clearly about different aspects of what you do), but I can't see how it would benefit you in SEO terms. Normally the extra TLDs you buy simply redirect to your main website. In my opinion at least, it's usually better to have one strong, centralised website.

seoguevarra

I have a mantra of "Test, Track, Tweak". You need to have a plan and not just build domains with keywords in them, as this approach is a bit outdated but could still be useful if you put the right efforts.

Now, if this is about online reputation management, go with creating profiles from different authority platforms: The Big 5 Social Sites (YouTube, Facebook [page], Linkedin, Twitter, Google Plus), Academia, Wikipedia, and some citations-sites (directories with map embeds usually). Fill out your profiles/ pages with articles, images, and videos relevant to your audience and with mention of your brand. These platforms together with at least your official website will form the foundation of your ORM.

Yes, this is an advanced SEO already, if we don't treat mainstream SEO as advanced itself. ;)

vishwa

Nice Concept. But rather making websites on every domain extension, I did redirect all of the other extensions to my main domain if they are made for the same purpose.

bdubc4

So from what I understand is that there is a similar website or bad review showing up on the first page somewhere, and you are just trying to get rid of it. In hopes trying to buy more websites and rank them to push it out.

If this is correct, then first if this "negative" result is any type of slander towards your website contact google and they may be able to remove it. Also you can try to resolve the bad review with your own comments and voice some type of refund, to the unsatisfied. That would be ultimately cheaper.

If that's not the case, then yes you can buy a bunch of domains, but it all depends on your keywords and how hard it is to rank. You would have to spend the money and time SEOptimizing each individual domain. And review sites are not easy to rank over with a new site, it sounds like the this review site/page has a lot of authority and a brand new domain will not magically rank over just cause it has the same keywords. (at least not anymore) Same Name Domains don't hold as much authority in google as they used too.

Another route you can take is getting better reviews, you will always get bad reviews that's just how it is, try encouraging the people you have worked with that has had great experiences to share them on the review sites your trying to push out the way.

Just trying to think out the box, the bottom line is like every one said is that its going to cost a lot of money and more importantly time. But if you really want to go the SEO route I would still go with what Seoguevarra said, point off site seo efforts to all your social platforms.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.