What is 404 error and how to solve it

fromrachel

Hello,

What is 404 error? How can I manage to solve it? If I face such kind of problem then what is the solution?

Please suggest..I am looking for your advice.

Jack London

You refer to 404 errors in Google webmaster tool, showing your website errors and you want to solve those errors, right?

Deepak Kaushik

Remove that webpage which is creating 404 error or use 301 and redirect permanently to another webpage.

web2bizz22

404 error means "the pages does not exists in the website, so the website master, which URL is missing or deleted. then make 301 redirection to missing page to working page (relevant page). and after that fix the issue in web master tool.

shuvoimtiaz

If you delete a page or move your page to a new web address, there will be not found error left behind. This is called a 404 not found error. A proper 301 redirection to new page will be good enough to maintain your SEO rank.

ericplotz1

Ok we've got the idea that you use a 301 redirect!

No one else needs to say this. What we need to hear is exactly how you would do it. Don't just comment without telling how to do it. Or an example of what you would do. THat's what this thread needs.

I personally use WordPress so I use a plugin that's called 404 redirect to homepage.

Reactions: Content by Rhonda

basicblogtalk

basicblogtalk
Hey, man..! Could you explain about how to plugin work because I want to know about that. You know? When readers are finding some information and face with 404 error to show them that it is not existed or deleted but if we redirect them to home, I think that it will make them complicated about unrelated content.

ericplotz1

ericplotz1
I guess this would only be applicable if your site is a random blog or something genral that can vary in topics. I mean, you have to use your judgement.

Decide whether the 301 makes sense when it redirects. You obviously don't want a lamp shade redirecting to a throw rug.

Plus there are plugins that let you redirect any URL to any other URL.

Haven't used these in a while because I thought long and hard about my niches and plan to continue creating content that lasts a long time!

brainmoore

I prefer to place a 301 redirect of all such 404 pages hard or soft to "Sitemap" page of the website, I believe this is also recommended as users can analyze their interest page in the HTML sitemap and proceed accordingly. There are ways to place a redirect on server level, a custom 404 page creation will also work.

ElixantTechnology

I'm just going to put this out there..... If you don't know what a 404 error is, and you have to ask this community what it is (rather than either reading the contents of the page, or using google).... Then you probably shouldn't be jumping in so fast to the webmaster community.

404 - Page NOT FOUND (DOES NOT EXIST)

DevrajKoppula

404 error is technical error which s done by client. 404 error is also known as not found error message is a HTTP standard response code indicating that the client was able to communicate with a given server, but the server could not find what was requested.

I suggest you solve this error by using 301 redirect as previous members posted above.

jitendrasurve

[Solved] - 404 Error means you have a broken link to your website. Which you need to fixed it.

1. First you need to find how many broken url links are on your website. So first you need to open google
webmaster account. Once you have the account. Refer the screenshot to find your broken errors.

2. Click on the URL to see the details of broken url

screenshot-1.jpg

screenshot-2.jpg
How to fix it?

If you are running a wordpress, you can easily do with the plugin.

1. But easy way to fix the error, by just opening .htaccess file from your hosting server in the root folder.
Once you open the .htaccess file. Open it in notepad. and update it as per the screenshot shown. You just have to
enter.

screenshot-3.jpg

redirect 301 /yourbroken url link http://url where you want to redirect broken url link

LanceBachmann

A 404 error is an HTTP status code that means that the page you were trying to reach on a website couldn't be found on their server.

Here are some common ways in which you might see the HTTP 404 error displayed:

"404 Error"

"404 Not Found"

"Error 404"

"The requested URL was not found on this server." ...he cache on your tablet's browser might help.

Roger

The HTTP 404 Not Found Error means that the webpage you were trying to reach could not be found on the server. It is a Client-side Error which means that either the page has been removed or moved and the URL was not changed accordingly, or that you typed in the URL incorrectly. Put simply, a 404 Not Found Error means that the webpage simply does not exist with the URL entered.
You can solve it by clearing Browser cache. If you are able to visit the page from another device, such as your phone, clearing the cache and cookies will usually solve the problem.

Worldeyeglasses

404 Not Found error messages can appear in any browser and in any operating system. Most 404 Not Found errors display inside the Internet browser window just as webpages do. To avoid this you can refresh the browser.

EmmaCarter

404 refers Page Not Found. It is to be solved by redirecting or removing the broken URL, else it may lead to increase in bounce rate and reduces the quality of your website.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views