Residential Gigabit Internet

RDO Servers

There are several companies pushing hard to provide residential internet service at gigabit speeds!

Google Fiber, Cox, AT&T, and Comcast are all busy expanding to new areas to get a larger piece of the pie!

Is anyone currently on gigabit internet? How is it? How much are you paying?

If it came to your area today, would you spend the extra money to upgrade?

Personally, I can't wait!

MightWeb

I have the ability to get a gigabit connection at home, but see absolutely no use in it, as I'd rarely (if ever) be able to consume that bandwidth. I'm never topping my current 500 Mbit/s-connection (which I only have as I get it for free) - so doubling that would be rather pointless.
I do like the availability though, and it's certainly going to be interesting to see, twenty years from now, when it's perhaps way more commonly used.

RDO Servers

RDO Servers
Good point. It would take a lot if streaming to max out gigabit, but I would love to try!

I live in the country and only have 20Mbit/s so the thought of gigabit is enough to drool over!

ElixantTechnology

Jeez, I *wish* we could grab 1Gbit dedicated where I am located, if we wanted to build the infrastructure to house servers locally we wouldn't be able to even get linked to any fiber backbone we are so far out of the loop, we would be stuck with the overpriced telcos. Up here in Canada internet is extremely expensive, for example $35 for 30Mbps with 200GB Bandwidth through our local cable provider, or $45 for 25mbps through Telus DSL (who has the monopoly up here in Canada).

I could only *dream* of Google Fiber being run up here ;)

MightWeb

Upon closer thinking, I really can not imagine a single scenario where a 1 Gbps downstream would help me, haha! Nothing that I download is uploaded from servers close enough (or fast enough) to push me content at 1Gbps, and even if it was - the files wouldn't be large enough to allow the speed to climb that much before being complete.
As for streaming, I mean realistically, that consumes about 20 Mbps in 1080p. Wouldn't be any faster on 1Gbps than on 25 Mbps.

I do feel for you though ElixantTech! I never had to suffer from datacaps, thankfully. They sure don't seem fun.

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
3 words... Redundant Offsite Backups.
We have a redundant backup system in place, one backup node hosted in an offsite DC and another sits in a gun safe in the office closet with a dedicated Cable Line connected to it. Mirroring the backup node in the DC to the one locally here can be a slow daunting task with such a low shared connection speed, whereas a 1Gbps link would make all the difference (with the proper rotues/peers).

MightWeb

MightWeb
Already have that set up, but then again - I could easily set up another NAS at home and do backups to that as well, for added redundancy. Still, would it require a gigabit downstream? I have a hard time seeing that. Especially since, in order to utilize it, you'd have to push a gigabit uplink from the other end, which would - at least in most scenarios - put great strain on the total uplink of the server.

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.