Will no follow backlinks help SEO ranking?

sallysaleh

Hi there, I know search engines like google will count the no follow backlinks. but my question is will the no follow backlinks affect my seo and my site ranking. for example if I have let say 500 no follow backlinks, will my search position increase in google or not.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Nytshade

The simple answer is NO. Nofollow simply means no benefit, you don't get squat.

Focus on building Dofollow links.

Reactions: PTTed

sallysaleh

sallysaleh
Thank you indeed, I only use nofollow link if the site has lots of traffic so that my website will get huge traffic. and may get some re shares.

Last edited:

nesito29

in Google's eyes, no-follow links are used to show a site's "popularity", it helps show that your site is growing naturally. If you go to the big sites you will see that every big site has about 80-20% (no-follow - follow links). No follow links are important since they are one of many factors Google uses as signals (i.e. Social Shares). But, they won't affect the authority of your site.

So, as Nytshade said, focus on follow links, no-follow links will come naturally from users reaching your site.

Hope this helps you and put in to action.

ericplotz1

Seriously here is my strategy for ranking multiple long tails.

PBNs from a reliable source that I pay $200 a month for home page. The amount of links varies with the Authority and quality. This guy is great though. Provides any niche I need. Buys expired domains and build these PBNs so quick, it's puzzling how he does it. I'm a beast at checking content and have banned many here in this forum for dup content. His content passes copyscape at atleast 97% ALL OF THE TIME and it's high quality. Really was lucky with this guy.

Web 2.0s

A few pinterest like sites that are still do follow.

And then amidst adding web 2.0s, I will stage a sort of "viral" type of behavior. I will put out press releases, submit to topix, video sites, and blast social networks, along side of juicing my A FEW of my web 2.0s.

So in my strategy social signals play a vital roll.

So the comment about just building DoFollow and gaining nofollow from that is completely false. If you're purchasing DoFollow and gaming the search engines you're not automatically going to get nofollow links. You're going to have to purchase these. The name of the game is automating human behavior, and there is not one site on the web with a buncha natural dofollow links and 0 nofollow links. So if you think just building DoFollow is going to work, think again.

It also depends on the niche. Some niches don't require many backlinks at all. I see this a lot with corporate businesses that I manage.

But in general, we are speaking about blogs and sites you monetize, which generally have social signals. Some have more social signals then back links. Some have more backlnks then social signals.

THe bottom line is you cover all angles. Social signals aren't going to rank you but they definitely give power to the pages that are linking to you. Meaning if the page thats linking to you has a lot of social signals, it gives more juice then a page with little social signals. I've been using this with buffer sites. Just juicing up the buffer sites with social signals is boosting the authority of my main site.

So say what you want, but I'm finding social signals to be very valuable when used the right way.

SEOPub

SEOPub
That is not really true. I cannot think of a single time that I have built a nofollow link in any SEO project I have worked on. I've been doing SEO for over 12 years now.

And yes, sites do attract a decent number of nofollow links on their own. Scraper sites and other data sites will create nofollow links.

You can rank just perfectly fine in highly, highly competitive niches without building nofollow links just fine. Building nofollow links is just a waste of time and/or money.

I have done a lot of testing with social signals and have found zero evidence of them having an impact on rankings, whether it is to juice up linking domains or money sites.

Think about it from Google's perspective. There is just no way they are going to give significant weight to something that they can be locked out of at any moment. Remember when they were blocked from crawling Twitter? That sort of thing could happen at any moment. It would be too much of a gamble on their part.

ericplotz1

You misunderstood me. I never said you have to build social signals or that they wouldn't come naturally. If you're obtaining dofollow links naturally, then of course social signals come naturally. But someone who is a noob and trying to game the SERPs, hears "PBNs, web 2.0s, etc.. are good but nofollow links do nothing" These guys then go and purchase a ton of PBNs, Web 2.0s, and have 0 social signals. No social signals on the PBNs or properties as well. This is NO GOOD and will not work.

Buying 2.0s, PBNs, and juicing them with tons of social signals and relevant PBNs is working. People can argue and say that maybe the content I'm writing is just really search engine friendly, well if that was the case my new site would be ranking its ass off because I'm testing a content marketing strategy and relying on all legit White Hat. Them I'm syndicating my blog with multiple properties and listing those properties in Google+ as my links.

Yes it's climbing but not as fast as the sites I'm juicing with signals and minimal linking.

Like I said I do throw a few high quality links at the sites that are ranking (CF 30 TF33) but I really run my bots hard and inflate my social networks.

I'm not really sure if you are promoting disinformation or you just don't know. But I've been testing multiple methods utilizing social media to rank sites for 2-3 years. In fact it even works for my local clients. social citations are huge right now. Possibly minimal nofollow and a lot of DoFollow works. Not sure how you obtain dofollow naturally with out a social media presence today, and maybe you can provide some insight on that. Most of my naturally obtained links were due to the promotion of content amongst social networks.

Other then that it's the old school blog commenting and leaving the link in the comment, hoping that it doesn't get removed. Or communicating with blog owners personally, which will get tedious. So tell me, if you're natural dofollow links are obtained without social media, you're utilizing what I've just said? You can't honestly say youre ranking in competitive niches with 0 social signals and a ton of DoFOllow backlinks. That would be a footprint all on its own.

That is not really true. I cannot think of a single time that I have built a nofollow link in any SEO project I have worked on. I've been doing SEO for over 12 years now.

And yes, sites do attract a decent number of nofollow links on their own. Scraper sites and other data sites will create nofollow links.

You can rank just perfectly fine in highly, highly competitive niches without building nofollow links just fine. Building nofollow links is just a waste of time and/or money.

I have done a lot of testing with social signals and have found zero evidence of them having an impact on rankings, whether it is to juice up linking domains or money sites.

Think about it from Google's perspective. There is just no way they are going to give significant weight to something that they can be locked out of at any moment. Remember when they were blocked from crawling Twitter? That sort of thing could happen at any moment. It would be too much of a gamble on their part.

SEOPub

SEOPub

I never said anything about obtaining links "naturally". I could care less about getting links naturally. I build links. If you are worried about looking natural, there are a lot of tough niches with pages ranking #1 that have zero social signals. It really depends on the niche. If you are working in something like a how to lose weight niche and post some great recipe that people like, sure that is likely to get shared on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.

On the other hand, in something like the life insurance niche, pages do not get shared all that often. It's not a social niche. A lot of really technical niches are the same way.

So yeah, having zero social signals on my network sites as well as my money sites has worked just fine for years. It's just clearly not a part of the algorithm. Now if you came under a manual review and your network sites were reviewed as well, would having social signals save you? I don't know. However, I kind of doubt you would fail all their other checkmarks in the review process but then the reviewer would say, "Oh, but they do have social signals. Ok. Everything checks out," and then let your site and network sites pass.

And I think you missed what I was saying about nofollow links. They won't hurt anything. My point was simply that you do not have to go out of your way to build them in order to rank. There is a big myth out there that a certain percentage of your backlink profile has be nofollow links to "look natural". The SERPs say otherwise.

PTTed

In all my testing over the years my evidence has led me to the conclusion that nofollow links are basically worthless for ranking in Google. That includes nofollow links from social media sites. I know that some SEO people, including well known respectable SEO people have said they believe there is a link somehow somewhere, but I haven't found one. Maybe one exists in the right scenario? Who knows?

All I know is that I consistently see web pages and websites rank at the top of Google without any social media links whatsoever and without any nofollow links at all or maybe a tiny percentage that appeared naturally.

I can say with full confidence that in the vast majority of cases, websites can and will rank at the very top of Google for years (through all of these Google updates) with zero nofollow links. And they can rank at the top of Google with a lot fewer links than most people think. I believe there is zero risk of a penalty if 100% of a site's inbound links are regular followed links unless maybe there is a threshold somewhere where once you have so many links it would look weird to have zero nofollows. But I don't know where that threshold would be. And I believe that threshold doesn't even exist if you are only using high quality powerful dofollow links to rank websites instead of focusing on link quantity.

That is my opinion and my experience for whatever it is worth.

jaztez

Interesting to read that nofollow links are worthless.

My take is that if you only pursue followed links then your link profile could attract attention and scrutiny.

Also, nofollow links are still a citation, and nobody is claiming citations are worthless are they??

Mark007

I would still say that 'no follow' links are a good way to diversify your backlink building. They are much helpful to build website popularity by driving traffic from high profile webpages. These links are not helpful for ranking factors as they are not crawled and indexed by spiders, but they are much helpful for traffic generation. Blog comments from high authority and high traffic websites help to get a good traffic flow for your website.

ertha

They are good, can't believe many people give it no value at all? I built up a site and started its first ranking by no-follow link, it's on internet marketing niche and got many links from agency site as well as SEJ. How can those be "bad links."

Make all you links do-follow is non-sense, i don't really care links are no or do follow, just be relevant and get it from the site that has real audiences.

If do-follow is the best then you don't need to comment on quality site that allow only no-follow, just build the PBN of high-pr domains or hire some guys to get your do-follow links.

I feel sad that i didn't keep the record of the site i mentioned, the ratio was 90% no-follow, but today i've built a lot of link and do-follow links have outnumbered already.

sunil0021

The only benefit you will get from no follow backlinks is just traffic (Only if your no follow backlinks are from popular websites with high traffic), for ranking in Google or any other search engine do follow matters.

talukdar

In simple word NO. But no-follow links can help you to get traffic.

tk-hassan

No follow links hardly make any affect on your search engine rankings.

Alex Mercer

As far as I know, the answer is No. You would not be benefited with no-follow backlinks.

Jacob_k

Simple... that's why they are called NOfollow links... the linkjuice doesn't follow that link to the destination. At least, that's the way I am explaining it to myself...

The answer is NO... it does not give any value in google eyes... however, it may be good to have them in your link profile, to look maximally diversified. It will seem to google as you are not doing intentional linbuilding with aim of acquireing better rankings (tricking Google). But directly it won't help your rankings for sure!

PluginForage

Nofollow = no juice, but still can be a great traffic source on the right type of sites..

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.