Debian or Centos or Ubuntu for VPS?

tonymyers

I am checking a VPS package but when choosing an OS for it then I am getting confused. I want to know which OS will make my sites run smooth on VPS? Centos or Ubuntu or Debian?

What are advantages of Centos or Ubuntu or Debian?

ElixantTechnology

Personally my opinion is that Ubuntu is a Desktop-Orientated Linux Distribution made Server Capable; Ubuntu is actually based off of Debian.
It boils down to personal preference... Which one do you feel that you have more experience in managing/maintaining.
The other would be, are you using a control panel, as cPanel is only compatible with CentOS.

I would go on to google and search how to manage a server with either operating system, and learn how to use said operating system via. Command Line as that is how you will be managing your server/VPS. From there, choose which one you believe will best suit you.

Unless you are willing to take the time how to fully understand how linux works, functions and is managed via command console, I recommend going with a MANAGED VPS with cPanel on it and CentOS. There are a lot of factors to consider when wanting to make your website run smooth, and unless done correctly you may end up with disaster.

smallbudgethosting

E.T. is correct in saying that if you don't know what you are doing go with managed. When I upgraded from shared to vps, I went with managed while I was doing the learning curve, however I did spend 5 years learning linux at home. I learned on ubuntu, and it is different than learning on centos, and different than learning about a hosting environment, that is completely different.

Even as someone that knows a good amount with how linux works, I still go with managed to relieve the stress of worrying about things. For example, if you need a server audit, and have no idea how to deal with that, that will be included in your managed hosting fee, regardless of how much time is required. If you went with unmanaged and needed an audit, you could pay several hundred dollars up to a thousand or more.

Just when you think you know something with managing a server, you find out you need to learn more. Managed hosting can be a savior when you have a hardware failure, or your VPS just goes for a crap on you, or your VPS node gets overloaded.

Important considerations to make with a VPS, you are responsible for backing up all the content. Your webhost may make a weekly snapshot, but that could cost you to get that snapshot activated. Always check out the VPS provider you intend to use, ask questions, get information..

RDO Servers

As mentioned above, using CentOS will makes things easier for you in the long run, but it is completely up to you and what OS is comparable with what you want to run on the server.

The majority of the web servers on the internet run CentOS. Because of this, there is a much larger userbase, easier to find tutorials, help in forums, etc.

Getting a manages VPS is a good way to make your life easier as you will have someone else to handle the setup/management of your server. However, if you have the time, energy, and desire, why not give it a shot. Knowledge is power, and the more you can learn by doing, the better off you are in the long run!

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views