How do you price your web development business?

Do you factor in processor fees on an invoice to a client, OR factor that in indirectly with your ot

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaeldlevy

I am pretty new to freelancing and want to make sure I am accurately pricing myself correctly for my business. For those of you who do web design, development and/or graphic design, how do you determine what to charge?

Examples include:
  1. Domain costs
  2. Hosting costs
  3. On-going support

Also what is the best way to go about creating a business plan? Thanks everyone in advance for your thoughts on this topic!

elfgirl

I would recommend you charge hourly. Depending on your experience, you can charge anything from $20 per hour on up.
For domain and hosting I would just markup 10%
For on-going support, maybe think about offering a monthly price for X amount of hours of support.

I hope this helps. I have never personally been in your field but I have helped a friend launch a couple of related businesses.

PTTed

PTTed
If you are going to offer hosting to a handful of clients then mark it up way more than 10%. The absolute minimum I would charge for hosting of any site regardless of how small it is would be $10 per month. If you have them on a shared reseller hosting account then you that markup is into the thousands of percent.

It is not worth your time to host anyone at a 10% markup unless your entire business was just a hosting business and that is all you focused on. Even then you should mark up your product more than that.

Small business owners don't mind paying more than $20 per month to host their websites in my experience, even if their website could easily be hosted on a $2 per month server.

One of the biggest mistakes that new entrepreneurs make is to under-price their products and services. It is okay to do that for your first ten customers or so, but you better raise your prices up as soon as you have a little bit of work. Don't make the mistake that I made when I first went into business for myself. I underpriced myself for years. I had plenty of work but running my own business was hell because I wasn't making anywhere near the kind of money I deserved. Once I raised my prices drastically, then I started actually enjoying my work. My work got better because I dropped the small percentage of price sensitive customers I had but was able to deliver better service to those customers who weren't cheapskates. My best customers became happier. I became happier. I made a lot more money doing less work.

Don't compete on price. Compete on service, dependability and your awesome response time to customers.

johnny_r

I just try to calculate the needed hours for a project.

For longtime customers it's easier and I just count the hours and calculate the final price after the work is done.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.