How do you detect duplicate content issues?

pathfinder

I'm just curious there are lots of suggestions on what to do afterwards, but how do you notice that a site has a duplicate content issue?

As we knew that Google doesn't like duplicate content although it is not a Google penalty but it can confuse Google in what you want to rank first.

What do you guys suggest me?

SEOPub

Make sure you are using canonical tags on your pages, and you really do not have to worry much about duplicate content on your site(s).

Reactions: pathfinder

elcidofaguy

elcidofaguy
Totally agree with that - however you still may have issues if you are operating a CMS with category and tag pages, especially if it shows a full text and not summaries - so you may want to consider setting these pages up as noindex and/or nofollow.... Or alternatively ensure that you set a customized excerpt field which is different to your post content....

pathfinder

pathfinder
It should be added in only the homepage or on all webpages?

PTTed

PTTed
All pages. If you are using Wordpress for a CMS, you can do rel="canonical" with the Yoast Wordpress SEO plugin.

You can read up on it [URLnf="https://yoast.com/rel-canonical/"]here[/URLnf] and [URLnf="https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066?hl=en"]here[/URLnf] if you want a thorough understanding of it.

elcidofaguy

Nofollow will not have an impact on duplicate content.
Indeed that makes sense... From one of your previous posts it was useful to also learn that nofollow gobbles up a proportion of link juice to a black hole so there really isn't a reason to use nofollow as means to sculpt link juice on a site unless the intent is to mask affiliate links in which case nofollow/noindex is the way to go... If nofollow meant other links gained greater link juice then it maybe worth thinking about... But alas that is no longer the case ;-) Nice one for spotting that!

I would get rid of tags and author archives on 99% of sites just to avoid that altogether. Tags are a waste of linkjuice in almost all cases. Same with author archives.
These days I'm removing post meta data entirely e.g. author, category, post date etc (below title) as well as post archives sorted on date (sidebar)... Its also tempting to get rid of categories too (sidebar) and just focus on silos as means to funnel link juice and use that as means to provide some form of user navigation in replacement to categories but that might be stretching it a bit with impacting user navigation.... On that specific point i've been thinking about how to implement that dynamically in relation to which post is displayed...

Khushboo Gangrade

You can use an SEO tool called Plagiarism Checker. It comes handy when you need to check if the content is being duplicated. Just copy the content there and it'll show the copied lines.

Priyanka V

Best answer
Various free online tools are available to check Plagiarized content of website.you can check the percentage of plagiarism.Near 80% Unique content is might be okay as per my experience.

Free Plagiarism Checker tools:

-Small SEO Tools
-Dupli checker
-Pre post SEO

ORLOVA

I never see any website that is hit by Google just becoz of Duplicate Content, but still you need to be careful for the Content Optimization, as user friendly content matter a lot.

shoptechmedia

shoptechmedia
You know what? YOu are right! I have not seen any website being penalized by Google.. let's take for example, if you search for the term "structured data definition", I noticed that there are 4 websites giving the same content, yet together they are on the same #1 page..

alexjames

Google will not penalised due to duplicate content but it will not give you top rank. You can check your duplicate content on Copyscape. High quality content is the main factor in Google's ranking, but sometimes the ranking does not depend on the content. According to Google, these are all key factors for a good ranking. If you use duplicate content, Google will not give you the high rank.

JanetGriggs

Hi

Various totally free online tools are available to check Plagiarized articles of website.you may check the percentage of plagiarism. Near 80% Unique articles are could be okay as per my experience.

bessieexum

You Should Use a Search Engine Optimization tool Named Plagiarism Checker.
It's handy once you should test whether the material is being reproduced. Reproduce it is going to demonstrate the lines and this material.

subhodipd

“Content is king.”

All we know that quality content will help to improve our website ranking. As per the Google Panda Algorithm if you will post any duplicate or plagiarized content, then Google will de-rank your site.

So, I will suggest you use any paid plagiarism checker tools like Copyscape or it will be better to hire any content writing agency. I know it’s quite tricky to find the best. From my perception, I will recommend you Das Writing Services Pvt. Ltd. an ISO-9001:2015 certified leading content writing agency in India.

miniwrites

there are plenty of tools to detect duplicate content.

like if you are looking whether the content is previously published on any other website you can search content on - copyscape.
but if you are looking for a duplicate content on the same website there are tools to find duplicate content on website like - siteliner.
but if you know that there are duplicate content on your website you can use canonical tags.

Daniel@30

Duplicate content is content that seems on more than one online location, intending different websites. If you publish your own content on more than one website, you have duplicate content. If you copy someone else’s content onto your site or if they publish yours on their site, that’s duplicate content.

Here are some good free tools that can be used to monitor for duplicate content:
  • Copyscape
  • Plagspotter
  • Smallseotools

John-S

The easiest way to detect duplicate content issues within your site is to do a simple Google search. Just search for a keyword that you rank for and observe the search engine results. If you find that Google is showing a non-user-friendly URL of your content, then you have duplicate content on your site.

Older threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.