Should web hosting companies provide free site transfer?

DDSvpsHost

Do you think that web hosting companies should provide free website transfer if you want to move your site from another company to them? Some companies do offer this service for free, while others charge you for it. Do you think it should be a default service offered with each hosting plan?

tk_hassan

People prefer to opt for those hosting companies which offer free site transfer so my answer would be YES

RDO Servers

We believe so. If the host has a adequate support department, then providing free website migrations is easy to do, and is a great help to new customers.

m3server

This is totally a preference of the person with the site/s to migrate. Do you want to pay a fee for the migration or not? Would you expect a hosting company to move 200 wordpress blog sites for free? Every hosting company has reasons for the way they handle migrations. If you do not want to pay to have your important site/s moved then by all means you do not have to choose a company that will charge a fee for this service. You can also try talking to the company and see if they will work out a discount or even do them for no charge based on bringing your business to them. There is always lots to discuss and work out with a hosting company beyond the black and white text on their site.

Logan

Yes,Many companies migrate free transfer of your site...And I thing it should be default service...

ElixantTechnology

The majority of hosting businesses out there will offer free standard website migration using the control panel software, however this migration method can not be guarnateed 100% (under some RARE circumstances complications may arise); and thus, hosting providers usually also offer manual migrations at a cost.

HostAG

If you respect your customers, free migration should be included in the service.

SenseiSteve

I don't think it's a matter of if they should offer free migration to their services as if they did not, their competition surely would have. Providers have to consider short term labor expense vs the anticipated lifetime asset of the new client.

Amanda

Honestly, I think it would be in the best interest of the receiving party to allow free website transfers. However, if you're transferring from one host to another, the hosting company should charge you in order to ensure some kind of revenue. Generally, if you purchase a year of hosting up front and then decide to switch hosts, you'll lose out on the money you've spent. At least, this is what I've heard from a lot of different people. I have my own VPN and VPS so I don't ever have an issue and cannot offer an opinion based on personal experience, unfortunately.

dafthost

Many companies migrate free transfer of your site...And I thing it should be default service...

ulterios

I think one thing that needs to be considered in whether or not a hosting company provides a free transfer/migration service is the cost of their hosting service that you are buying.

I can see that a hosting company should offer this as a free service if you are going to be paying a reasonable amount for your hosting. Meaning that if you are buying one of these $10 a year or $1 a month hosting plans then I think wanting a free transfer/migration might be a bit much to ask.

If you are spending an appropriate amount for your hosting, then it should be a perk to sign up with a new host. In this matter, I think the price of the service should determine if it's a reasonable perk.

Another thing that you have to think about is that if a hosting company is a low dollar host, that would usually relate into not the best of quality service. If the service is sub-standard, would you really trust them to move your sites safely and have no issues arise?

radwebhosting

It's pretty simple to do with WHM, but I'm not sure it is worth the trouble if it does not transfer perfectly.

hmb-robert

Many hosting companies provides a Free data transfer option from your old host to new one but they have certain conditions like control panel on both hosting providers must be same. Like, if you were using cpanel at your old host then new host must have cpanel only.

bacloud

Most of providers migrates for free, if you pay upfront or sign into contract.

Not much companies are happy with migration if you pay for them few bucks/month with monthly contract.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.