Can I split a large dedicated server into multiple smaller ones?

arindamb

I and 3 my friends are going to buy a large dedicated server around $110 / month with specs
Intel Xeon E5 3,7 / 3,9 GHz
64 GB of RAM
RAM DDR3
And we want to split it into multiple smaller ones? is it possible to do that?
I have heard of Xen, KVM or Open VZ to do that, do I need a web hosting expert for this job?

Any advice?

RDO Servers

I and 3 my friends are going to buy a large dedicated server around $110 / month with specs

I have heard of Xen, KVM or Open VZ to do that, do I need a web hosting expert for this job?

Any advice?
Sure you can. All 3 of the virtualization platforms have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Are you wanting the virtual machine for yourself or do you plan on offering VPS's to others?

If they are for others, do not use OpenVZ as most people these days are looking for XEN or KVM so they get dedicated resources.

Where are you getting the server from? That is a pretty low price for those specs. Keeping costs down is good, but make sure it is on a network with no single point of failure and with a company with really good tech support. Otherwise, you can get everything finally setup just the way you want it, and loose it all in the blink of an eye. Network hardware & servers fail. It's not if, it's when!

You do not have to be a web hosting expert to provision a server into VM's, but it also depends on what your going to do with them. If you can tell us more about your plans we may have more advice for you.

arindamb

Sure you can. All 3 of the virtualization platforms have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Are you wanting the virtual machine for yourself or do you plan on offering VPS's to others?

If they are for others, do not use OpenVZ as most people these days are looking for XEN or KVM so they get dedicated resources.
With XEN or KVM, we can use same resource on each account?
Or it will split into VPSs?
Where are you getting the server from? That is a pretty low price for those specs. Keeping costs down is good, but make sure it is on a network with no single point of failure and with a company with really good tech support. Otherwise, you can get everything finally setup just the way you want it, and loose it all in the blink of an eye. Network hardware & servers fail. It's not if, it's when!
Recommend me some provider names?
You do not have to be a web hosting expert to provision a server into VM's, but it also depends on what your going to do with them. If you can tell us more about your plans we may have more advice for you.
I have no experience about setting up or split a server into smaller ones

RDO Servers

RDO Servers
Let me make sure I understand what your wanting to do:

E-5 with 64Gb RAM, splint into multiple Virtual servers, all of which share the same resources?

Or do you want them to have separate resources? I.e. 10 virtual servers, each has 6Gb dedicated RAM

What are you going to use the virtual servers for?

arindamb

Let me make sure I understand what your wanting to do:

E-5 with 64Gb RAM, splint into multiple Virtual servers, all of which share the same resources?

Or do you want them to have separate resources? I.e. 10 virtual servers, each has 6Gb dedicated RAM

2 options
Split into 4 accounts, 8GB each one.
or using the same resource
Can we do that?

for our websites

ElixantTechnology

If you want to be able to burst resources between the VPSs, then OpenVZ would probably be your best option. Whether liked or not, OpenVZ does have a minimal footprint on resources and is the fastest of all the virtualization platforms; the only thing is each vm shares kernels with the host node and it's not complete isolation. Implementing PLOOP will put some great caching in place and further isolation.

HostAG

OpenVZ is the best option.
You don't need to hire somebody for that, some hosts will install everything is needed, free of charge.

hostslim

If you want dedicated resources per VPS; go with KVM or XEN. If you don't really need dedicated resources then you can go with OpenVZ. Both are easy to install and you can use a control panel like SolusVM.

paul1129

Any advice?
Most certainly you can. I mean after all its your dedicated server. You can do whatever the hell you want to do.

Scopehosts

Any advice?
Yes you can split server into VPS using anyone of these virtualizations. I agree with the answers provided here, each virtualization has it's own benefits. Go through this article for more details.: https://www.scopehosts.com/secure/knowledgebase/205/Various-Virtualization-Technologies-for-VPS.html

Basic technical knowledge is required to setup the the server and split it. You can easily manage on your own, if in case of doubt, hosting providers do provide Management support for these technical aspects. Ask regarding this to your provider.

Hope this helps.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.