Which web control Panel should I use for an unmanaged hosting?

epicstate

I was going to buy an unmanaged VPS for running some websites on it but didn't have experience on choosing web control panels to install and manage websites.
which ones would you recommend to use for unmanaged hosting? include paid and free software. I have use managed hosting till now.

RDO Servers

Well, the first question is, what OS will your VPS have?

Assuming it is a Linux VPS, cPanel is by far the "golden standard" control panel. Easy to use, and widely used so getting help if you need it is easy. A good free option would be CentOS Web Panel.

If your using a Windows VPS, use Plesk.

RDO Servers

PHP sites then should go with Linux OS?
Yes. Although you can host php site in Windows/Plesk, a Windows VPS will be more expensive due to the Windows licence costs.

What requirements if use cPanel, Directadmin on unmanaged VPS?
Dispite which control panel you choose, you should go with at least 2GB RAM and at least 1 CPU core. Be sure to ask which virtualization platform your host uses. OpenVZ is cheaper, but it relies on shared resources and can easly be oversold, which can drastically decrease your server performance. With Xen and KVM, you typically get fully dedicated resources.

Info about CentOS Web Panel?
CentOS Web Panel website

Reactions: epicstate

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
KVM is actually just as easy to overcommit CPU/RAM as OpenVZ is, the only difference is disk which is handled with volume groups. Xen used to the be the standard for top performance, however KVM has since far surpassed it. OpenVZ, depending on the provider (be careful) can offer the best performance due to the least overhead.

LuxVM

I was going to buy an unmanaged VPS for running some websites on it but didn't have experience on choosing web control panels to install and manage websites.
which ones would you recommend to use for unmanaged hosting? include paid and free software. I have use managed hosting till now.
Hello,

You should defiantly go for cPanel as all the other posters mentioned, not only is it a nicer user interface than DirectAdmin its much more powerful in managing your websites aswell as the server. Although dont get me wrong DirectAdmin is decent, they just have a outdated theme :(.

epicstate

Stick with cPanel on KVM or XEN for sure.
I used cPanel but if install cPanel or KVM, I should install KVM before installing cPanel?

Sorry I have not used KVM before.

Hello,

You should defiantly go for cPanel as all the other posters mentioned, not only is it a nicer user interface than DirectAdmin its much more powerful in managing your websites aswell as the server. Although dont get me wrong DirectAdmin is decent, they just have a outdated theme :(.
Thanks for your info, how about price on each one, cPanel and DirectAdmin? As I know if go for unmanaged and going to install cPanel then I have to pay more for cPanel license, right?

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.