Webmaster Sun Login
Not a member yet? Sign up

MyBB vs. phpBB vs. SMF, which one is better for building a forum?

  • HOME
  • FORUMS
  • BLOGS
  • MARKETPLACE
  • ADVERTISING
  • SPECIAL OFFERS
  • WEB HOSTING
  • QUICK MENU
  • REGISTER HERE - Join us for FREE
Results 1 to 16 of 16
    Stick this thread
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Perth (Australia)
    Posts
    331
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 39/1
    Given: 330/0
    Thanks
    208
    Thanked 41 Times in 36 Posts

    MyBB vs. phpBB vs. SMF, which one is better for building a forum?

    Did you guys use one of these forum software? I am getting confused while choosing MyBB, phpBB and SMF. According to your personal opinion, which is better? why?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    38
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry P View Post
    Did you guys use one of these forum software? I am getting confused while choosing MyBB, phpBB and SMF. According to your personal opinion, which is better? why?
    Hello Harry,

    While i have used most of these in the past, i find that MyBB in my opinion is better, but thats just me. However you need to install a few spam prevention modules as most of those forums get spam posts by bots/users. So you may want to research on some modules for whichever forum software you choose to prevent that.

    Regards,
    Adam

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuxVM For This Useful Post:
    Harry P (11-17-2015),Liliana (11-11-2015)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    27
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Out of that list, I personally prefer either myBB or phpBB. Granted, I've never used them to "build" my own forum. I've only been members on them. I use ProBoards which hosts the forum for free, but also has several other options. Their Forums.net allows you to remove all of their branding, set your own privacy policy and all that jazz. You can also link your own domain with both the paid and free version for a fee per year. The free version has ads, but you can pay for ad-free. Generally, it's a small amount per month depending on the amount of traffic you get. Using the ad-free allows you to have your own advertisements for your members or revenue purposes displayed on the site.

    Additionally, it's super easy to customize so long as you know HTML and CSS and there are many quality free themes available through their library if you're not familiar with Web jargon. Also, they make use of a plugin system that gives your forum more functionality. It's pretty neat.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:
    Harry P (11-17-2015)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    468
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 112/0
    Given: 32/0
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
    Harry, you are not limited to those options. vBulletin is a whole lot better as far as styling and it is much more modern and programmatically versatile. Still, if you have only those options, go phpBB if not for anything but the vast amount of community support you have for them.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    900
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 191/3
    Given: 104/1
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 81 Times in 73 Posts
    Among them MyBB is one of my favorite forum script. It have great option and it is very easy to manage compared to other free forum scripts. So, According to me you can go with MyBB.
    Imbloggingtips- Internet Marketing Blog.
    Prowebhosters:- Professional Web Hosting

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,181
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 370/0
    Given: 557/0
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 279 Times in 204 Posts
    I've used all of these and from these three I prefer myBB for a free forum script. There are a lot of good plugins, themes that look modern and support out there. I liked phpBB also but couldn't get a theme that had the features I was looking for so that is one reason I prefer myBB for a free option.

    However, if you are willing to buy your forum software then you might want to go with XenForo or vBulletin. Both of these have some really great features over a free forum software option. As far as which one out of these it would come down to a personal preference and looking at them and seeing which has the options, styles/themes and add-on's that you might want.

    I am not saying the free forum software that you posted is bad, it's just that XenForo and vBulletin are a better solution for many reasons. Plus using a paid forum software over a free/open source software can present a more professional image.
    ►► Follow me on TWITTER and keep up with my random and informative Tweets!_

    ►► Check out my personal blog site HERE for my attempts at writing!

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    80
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/1
    Given: 42/0
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vishwa View Post
    Among them MyBB is one of my favorite forum script. It have great option and it is very easy to manage compared to other free forum scripts. So, According to me you can go with MyBB.
    Does MyBB have responsive design on their templates, I checked some and seem they didn't have this feature.
    I used PHPBB and it is my favorite forum cms, if I go with free forums.

    Quote Originally Posted by ulterios View Post
    However, if you are willing to buy your forum software then you might want to go with XenForo or vBulletin. Both of these have some really great features over a free forum software option. As far as which one out of these it would come down to a personal preference and looking at them and seeing which has the options, styles/themes and add-on's that you might want.
    Why paid forum software should be Xenforo and vBulletin, I checked and found that IPB is also a good forum cms and being used by many forums out there.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    900
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 191/3
    Given: 104/1
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 81 Times in 73 Posts
    Yes, MYBB Themes are responsive and works great on mobile devices. I have installed one of the theme to my friends forum which is run on MYBB and its works great. No issues so far.
    Imbloggingtips- Internet Marketing Blog.
    Prowebhosters:- Professional Web Hosting

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    164
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 20/0
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I like the looks of the myBB forums (some anyway) more than the phpBB and Simple Machines forums I have seen. The phpBB forums that I have seen look a little on the old side like they are from the late 90's.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    435
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 52/0
    Given: 598/2
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
    I ran all these forum platforms and I like all but each one has its advantages, I like PHPBB board because it is easy to customize parts on its templates and its admin page also is easy to control permissions there.

    If you have a chance to with SMF then you will realize that it is not easy to make custom mods for it unless you need to edit somethings on core files, that's thing really should not do on a forum cms. Also, SMF lacks functions to control its template system because its theme is mixed between PHP and HTML codes, that's not easy for people new to SMF or didn't have knowledge about PHP codes.

    While Mybb is the best alternative to newbies, it is easy to get free and premium theme and plugins and it is an open software a good alternative to paid forum cms and int the case you have low budget to start one.

    I would suggest MyBB as it is my preferred choice to start a forum. But for all, it depends on your choice, let check carefully and you will see which will work best for you.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    57
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/0
    Given: 20/0
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    MyBB is good but I have always preferred phpbb for some reason. Mainly because it's easy to customize and set up, plus the community is very helpful there is a ton of resources available online for you if you need some guidance with phpbb. MyBB is good too and has a ton of free and premium themes, so either one is a good option as far as the freebies go.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    56
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 36/0
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    I used phpbb and it is light and easy to customize its templates.

    Quote Originally Posted by WallBB View Post
    MyBB is the preferred one I guess and I also like MyBB.
    What features do you like on MyBB? is it better than smf and phpbb?

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    15
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have used both phpBB and myBB as forum software but never really bothered with SMF. I just never bothered with it as both phpBB and myBB were always seen as being superior to SMF. Personally, I prefer myBB due to its large amount of themes and plugins. There is a large collection of both available for free and for a small fee by developers. The other benefit with myBB is that it is a lot easier to customise your themes, it's just so complicated on phpBB, for me anyway. The biggest problem with phpBB is the lack of plugins and themes. From the theme list, I can only find one good looking theme, the rest all look outdated and dull.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    57
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have used MyBB, phpBB and SMF, however, my experience is very limited. I once tried to launch a forum and installed MyBB. As I tried to custmize it, I found that the script does not convert in a way that I wanted. Then I tried phpBB and later SMF. After installing these scripts and running the forum for a while. I found that these are great scripts howerver, in order to use them you need ton have good skills as well.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    76
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 16/0
    Given: 5/0
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    SMF has an advantage for absolute beginners in that it has uploaders for themes, mods, and banners. In that case, you don't have to fool with an FTP or cPanel. However, though, besides that, I cannot see much a difference in the forum platforms, though I do think the new version of phpBB needs more free mods. Nonetheless, this opinion is coming from a limited perspective because I simply haven't messed around with all these forum softwares enough to say.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I like the looks of the MyBB forums (some anyway) more than the phpBB and Simple Machines forums I have seen. The phpBB forums that I have seen look a little on the old side like they are from the late 90's.
    Actually, you can buy premium themes that are out of this world. However, though, as you say, it's possible to run into some free themes which might look a bit retro.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    151
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 51/1
    Given: 38/0
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    My final decision came down to phpBB or MyBB but I personally always preferred the MyBB. Why? pretty simple. MyBB is free to use, open source, extremely user-friendly. The installation process is fast and easy. You have many themes that you can further customize with ease. You can also use different mods. All of this, without even needing any previous coding knowledge - amazing or what?

    And a cherry on the top is the fact that it's very secure and stable so there shouldn't be any issue. The whole look of MyBB is great and I really love using forums that run it.

    I have personally used it once before and I'd highly recommend that you try.

Newer Threads

  1. Jon Acuff
    ioZoom
    Replies: 5 | Views: 1469
    Last post by ioZoom, 12-02-2015, 07:47 PM
  2. Jon Acuff
    Amanda
    Replies: 1 | Views: 935
    Last post by Amanda, 11-17-2015, 12:15 AM
  3. Adam Yunker
    Adam Yunker
    Replies: 7 | Views: 2927
    Last post by Adam Yunker, 11-13-2015, 07:50 AM
  4. vishwa
    vishwa
    Replies: 13 | Views: 1825
    Last post by vishwa, 12-21-2015, 08:22 AM
  5. LuxVM
    LuxVM
    Replies: 2 | Views: 2490
    Last post by LuxVM, 11-12-2015, 12:08 AM

Older Threads

  1. Dewlance
    Dewlance
    Replies: 8 | Views: 2582
    Last post by Dewlance, 04-10-2017, 04:50 AM
  2. Dewlance
    DarranD
    Replies: 2 | Views: 2373
    Last post by DarranD, 12-30-2016, 04:32 AM
  3. ITMDB
    Alex the Lion
    Replies: 4 | Views: 1277
    Last post by Alex the Lion, 11-24-2015, 09:28 PM
  4. ITMDB
    KatnissEverdeen
    Replies: 3 | Views: 1135
    Last post by KatnissEverdeen, 12-16-2015, 08:09 AM
  5. socialoxide
    Miguelito203
    Replies: 4 | Views: 1474
    Last post by Miguelito203, 11-19-2015, 10:41 PM

Latest Threads

  1. HaruXHaru
    Rob Whisonant
    Replies: 2 | Views: 8
    Last post by Rob Whisonant, Today, 07:30 PM
  2. trendjing
    Rob Whisonant
    Replies: 1 | Views: 24
    Last post by Rob Whisonant, Today, 07:32 PM
  3. Castro_Mike
    Rob Whisonant
    Replies: 1 | Views: 34
    Last post by Rob Whisonant, Yesterday, 11:48 PM
  4. Hugo E.
    vishwa
    Replies: 3 | Views: 37
    Last post by vishwa, Yesterday, 01:09 PM
  5. Hugo E.
    Ciprian Bitter
    Replies: 8 | Views: 99
    Last post by Ciprian Bitter, Yesterday, 03:54 PM

Similar Threads

  1. swstarone
    Webmaster.Xochitl
    Replies: 4 | Views: 1153
    Last post by Webmaster.Xochitl, 06-01-2015, 10:37 PM
  2. Jack London
    Roger Minto
    Replies: 9 | Views: 3039
    Last post by Roger Minto, 10-01-2013, 06:57 AM
  3. Holly Nicole
    Holly Nicole
    Replies: 0 | Views: 5391
    Last post by Holly Nicole, 04-13-2013, 11:26 PM
  4. Jarticle
    Holly Nicole
    Replies: 1 | Views: 9162
    Last post by Holly Nicole, 02-26-2013, 02:00 AM
  5. Holly Nicole
    PHPBB or MyBB
    By Holly Nicole in forum Site & Server Administration
    Holly Nicole
    Replies: 0 | Views: 1314
    Last post by Holly Nicole, 02-22-2013, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Internet Marketing Forum

Webmaster Sun is a forum where you’ll find in-depth discussions and resources to help you succeed on the web whether you are new or experienced. You’ll find it all here. With topics ranging from internet marketing, search engine optimization, social networking, make money online, web hosting, affiliate marketing as well as hands-on technical support for web design, programming and more. We are a growing community of like-minded people that is keen to help and support each other with ambitions and online endeavors. Learn and grow, make friends and contacts for life.

Come Hang Out With Us

    Facebook Twitter Webmaster Forum Google+

    Webmaster Sun Logo
Copyright ©2012 - 2017, WebmasterSun.com. All rights reserved. Internet marketing forum for internet marketers, webmasters, web hosting providers, designers and affiliate marketers.

Welcome to Webmaster Sun

The World's Number 1 Webmaster Community, SEO and Marketplace

Log in!

Continue with Facebook
Continue With Email. By signing up you indicate that you have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Sign in Manually

Need an account? Sign up now!