Creating A Good Domain Name

lkovnih226

Is it best to create a good original name for a site or better to use keywords for a domain?
What do you mean for original name? a brand name, a real name or something else?

In my personal opinion, using keywords in a domain is better for search engines and easy to get high rankings but for a long term a brand name can help you develop your PR (Public Relations) and your trademark.

professorrosado

So one needs to weigh what role the domain will play for the site: seo or branding. Each has its relevant value dependent on what we are doing (or what our business is). Is the site a branded business or more a mechanism for sales, traffic, or other which can also be a subsidiary to a branded business (or website).

Anyone see it differently?

ulterios

ulterios
In my experience, a keyword domain makes the site seem more cheap and commercial. A brandable domain name on the other hand can sound more professional and long term thus creating a possible plus in the trust factors.

When I am creating a website I have always preferred to have a brand name for many reasons. Some of those are for recognition of the name/brand, standing out from the crowd, not sounding like a cheap factory made site as well as a few other.

If you are just going to throw up something that is selling something and not planning on long term, then I guess a keyword domain would be fine for that.

SrikanthR56

Here is what I can suggest to you about your domain name.

If your domain name is intended for your brand, then keep it as your brand name. If the brandname you chose with the TLD that you want is not available, try and find a workaround.

For example: If you own a Packers/Movers business called Moving In, try something creative like Moving.In or something along those lines.
My previous workplace was a magazine. Since the domain name with the Magazine name wasn't available, we added mag to the domain: xyzmag.com
Avoid super short domains. If a domain is comprised of a word or two, it is easier to remember. The domain is for Humans, the rest of the url can be for machines. But the domain must be human friendly.

Having a keyword in your domain, like super-car-loans.org.uk makes it not only look cheap and tacky, but may also push away potential customers who might mistake it for a phishing scam.
Also, avoid domains that sound similar to major brands. Especially if they are in your line of business.

UVM

That is almost impossible on .com domains :crazy:

I would say your better off branding with an original name than a keyword domain. Keyword domains were important back in the day but now they don't have as much of an SEO effect.

Unless you can get a really good keyword like water.com I would rather brand a unique name. If you can make the keyword your brand then even better!!!!

UVM

If by overrated you mean hard to get a good name then yes. However .com is your best choice for a TLD for a website that wants to reach a international audience.

If you are a country specific busines maybe a country TLD would be okay but I would still choose the .com over any country specific TLD with the same name.

SrikanthR56

Nope. I'm not talking about hard to get a good name at all.

I've known businesses, I've worked for businesses that have used a non .com domain and still have survived.
As I said, the TLD no longer signifies your country, it's just part of your branding.

srirambyrapaneni

Depends on your business model, if it's a brand better to register it. No keywords for a brand.

Beaver08

Depends what you use your site for. Just a simple site is nothing special needs otherwise you will lost money only

Sandra

My take: Original name for a brandable business, keyword based domain for a feeder site.
Yet, there are many examples that break the rule. Natural News is a keyword based domain that has grown into a brand.

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.