Self-hosted Website or Free Wordpress Site?

Steve32

Hello everybody,
I am a beginner in make money online niche and I was wondering what are the advantages of your own website compared with a wordpress free blog? any thoughts?

moreonfew

Dear Steve32,
If you are serious about going online, I would suggest you to have your own website with a custom domain and some CMS like Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal etc. Having a professional looking website and domain name is far better than a free and yourname.somedomain.com kind of domain name. Your custom domain name would be more trustworthy too to any visitor. In fact there are many more benefits like the customization power a custom website can give you, custom Email Ids you can have, etc. I'm sure a quick google would list out many more benefits too. To sum up, Yes go for a custom website.

RDO Servers

It can make a big difference in how seriously people take your site/business!

Think about it, Let's say you were looking for a company to buy a new widget. You find 2 companies.

Company A
Nice website on company.com
Support Email at [email protected]
etc

Then Company B
Website is company.wordpress.com
Support email is [email protected]

Which one will you feel more comfortably ordering from.....?

Seems minor, but it can make a world of difference!

ulterios

If you want to be taken seriously and not seen as cheap, fly-by-night, not legitimate then self hosted is the only way to go. It will make your efforts look more professional and get more positive sight in the minds of people who come to your site.

As cheap as a domain and hosting plan can be to get started, it's worth the small investment and I believe that you'll be happier in the long run. Also, in self hosted YOU will have control (within TOS & laws) of what is on your site, including any advertising if any.

You will also not have the same limits as far as themes, plugins, etc. as you will on the free service.

Ron Killian

For sure your own domain and your own self-hosted Wordpress.

The free blogs on Wordpress.com don't allow marketing, promotion or selling anyways. They will delete you quick. Been there, done that.

Reactions: Steve32

Steve32

Steve32
Valuable info! I didn't know this, you mean I can not promote or marketing my sites or products on blog posts on wordpress.com?

Can I post articles on it and adding links to my sites, is it possible?

Ron Killian

Ron Killian
They do not allow anything promotion or marketing. I even tried using it just for backlinks and they deleted mine. That or they were watching me :)

Can't hurt to try links. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I've seen others promote, but I "think" that is for those who pay. they have paid options, domains, ect.

Just not worth it if you ask me. Build something up (that you don't control) and one day it's all gone. Risky business.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views