Is Ubuntu popular?

RDO Servers

That depends on what your using it for.

Ubuntu is popular for desktop environments. It is also used for web servers, but not as popular as CentOS.

ElixantTechnology

From the perspective of a provider and looking at what my customers are currently using, very few actually utilize Ubuntu these days. Some do because of some game control panels function better on it as they were developed for it primarily, however in the web hosting world the most popular operating system these days is CentOS.

m3server

We use CentOS as it does everything our clients need.

Digitalguru

ubuntu is mostly used as a desktop OS. Its popular because it is free!

clickcloudit

Desktops: Ubuntu / Linux Mint takes the lead
Servers: Centos / Ubuntu are taking the lead, debian not so much

My preference? CentOS for enterprise purpose since is based on a enterprise OS and for desktop prefer linux mint, lately ubuntu and privacy are concerning

LowEndXeon

I'd personally say no, only because I've actually never had to use it. I'm kinda a huge fan/user of CentOS 5/6. But people use linux for different uses, CentOS is for more enterprise use, like hosting!

Localnode

Have a look at DistroWatch for the most popular distributions.
For server environments, it's usually CentOS/RHEL. A lot of desktop users use Ubuntu, a lot however have switched to Mint or OpenSUSE.

digitalberg

Ubuntu is used by 26.1% of all Linux websites, behind only Debian (on which Ubuntu is based), which is used by 32.7% of all Linux websites. Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distribution among the top 1000 sites and gains around 500 of the top 10 million websites per day. Source: WiKi

However, Ubuntu is the fastest way to build an OpenStack cloud. its comes with complete package included cache repository etc. not like CentOS.
Now a days 40% of the datacenters using Ubuntu in short time. Pretty good!

Ubuntu Advantage is the professional support package from the experts at Canonical, helping organisations around the world to manage their Ubuntu deployments. It includes access to Landscape, the systems management tool for using Ubuntu at scale, as well as 24/7 telephone support and the option of a dedicated Canonical support engineer on your premises. Ubuntu Advantage subscription tiers are based on the size of your deployment and the support you need. and CentOS? humm.

hmb-robert

Yes. Ubuntu is more popular now a days due to following advantages.

Ubuntu is one of the most secured operating system and defines the highest level of security as compared other operating system.

Ubuntu is an open source OS.

Most of the soft-wares in Ubuntu are pre-installed to enhance user experience

It is available free of cost.

EpicGlobalWeb

How much people actually use Ubuntu? and Is it popular?
No because it's Linux. Less than 5% of the desktop market uses a Linux distro. But Ubuntu is one of the more popular as far as Linux goes. It is a nicely supported and well known distro.

chrisparker

Generally Ubuntu is used for the Desktop environments and its the best options for the machines instead of windows os as its free but centos is most preferable OS for the dedicated server environments.

Ubuntu is based on the venerable Debian distribution. CentOS is a free clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. The respective origins of each distribution shape the most important difference from a user’s perspective: the package management system.

aksem62

All my 5 VPS run on Ubuntu 14.04. I use them for wordpress sites on nginx with php-fpm. Moved to Ubuntu 2 years ago and I do not regret my decision. The community is big and it's easy to find answers to most questions.

Hawker

The good thing about OS's that aren't the most popular is that they are the least hacked and have the least vulnerabilities.

Take Windows for example, its the most used OS and as such, it's the OS that hackers like to target the most because it has the most amount of people using it.

So from that perspective, sometimes, the least used OS is often the best OS to use if you're worried about that side of it.

That said, the most used OS usually has the most security work done on it too.

If I had to choose between Ubuntu and CentOS I would go with CentOS though as much more user friendly.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.