Hosting questions for webmasters

edisonvpb

How to determine your hosting company for your website matters. How to choose bandwidth is first.

Bandwidth is basted on calculation :

1.Estimate the average page size of your site.
2.Multiply that average page size by the monthly average number of visitors.
3.Multiply the result from step 2 by the average number of page views per visitor.

Laviskajoermoy

how to determine your hosting company for your website matters.how to choose bandwidth is fist.
Bandwidth is basted on Calculation :

3.Multiply the result from step 2 by the average number of page views per visitor.
I thinks bandwidth is considered when your site is growing with huge traffic but it's not really important, RAM and CPUs are the most parts for a web hosting package.

vishwa

The important think when considering a hosting company is it customer support. A good hosting with worst customer support doesn't make any sense. Secondly A web host doesn't oversell their servers and being realistic about their products and services.

gerald88

Indeed vishwa.

I prefer fast servers en 24/7 support. I run a own business and cannot permit that my website are down for a long time. So I pay few $ more for webhosting to be sure my website is online and get good support when I've some problems with it.

Reactions: paulgl

RDO Servers

RDO Servers
As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for!"

It never ceases to amaze me how often you see people looking for hosting for as cheap as possible, then a month later you hear the same people complaining about the poor service at the budget host they choose.

ulterios

As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for!"
I have told people that for as long as I can remember, when they are talking web hosting. Most people will only look at price, or look at price first. That is not what should be the first thing you look at.

As I have learned over then year, no matter what your sites are for or how much you know, sooner or later you will need customer service. Having great customer service can sure make life easier when dealing with a hosting company.

It never ceases to amaze me how often you see people looking for hosting for as cheap as possible, then a month later you hear the same people complaining about the poor service at the budget host they choose.
A buddy of mine bought a hosting plan from an EIG hosting provider a couple months ago, against my advice. Now, he has had to deal with their customer service and support on a number of occasions and is very, very unhappy with them. I kindly asked him if the couple of dollars a month he saved was worth it, guess what his answer was? ;)

Reactions: paulgl

projectpop

projectpop
Agree totally on this, I have in the past used budget web hosting companies with good price, good disk space and bandwidth. But servers are often down and slow and overloaded. And customer service are even harder to get, and even if you get them, they will just say they are working on it without proper explanation or answers to the downtime.

Always contact sales first before you purchase their service, and.. always pay monthly first before committing to any longer payment terms!

clickcloudit

If you are making money then go enterprise your uptime is as important as you want it to be, if you want as less as possible go for cloud services like amazon google rackspace but for example i run video websites and have 2 servers with 3gbps each and both servers clustered that can handle over 20k people streaming a 5-10mb video. I did the math and with that setup i would be paying over $90.000 a month only on bandwidth with cloud. I don't even pay 3% of that. However i have to run the servers and its frustrating when something goes wrong but well worth the savings :).

So it all depends on your budged and how critical the service must be then you can look for important signs of guarantee like proper SLA documentation. :)

rmmfree

Nowadays bandwidth is unlimited in most hosting companies. In my opinion it's more important to look for reliable and specialized companies with good technical support and fair business policies.

Sandra

I run away from the very big, the very small, and the very cheap.

My first site was in GD, go figure... never again. They are too big, so they lack flexibility.

Then I moved to HG when they were a lot smaller than they are now. We did have some hiccups along the years, but for the most part they took care of me, and my small business. I woudn't recommend the basic plans to anyone, from reseller and up. The others are/were essentially a lie. The bandwidth and space offered is really big, but there is a limitation over simultaneous processes, so if you want to put, lets say, 20 joomla sites in one of those even when it is under the requirements, it doesn't work (I tried...).

Right now I'm about to test yet another server, partly to see if I want to promote it, but also because it feels right.

jordyjl

Some offer everything unlimited, but backwads you see that there are still limited. So ask them first on proof to be sure, you can be misleading by some companys.

RDO Servers

RDO Servers
All shared hosting accounts have limits. Otherwise, one website could consume all of the servers resources, and cause the others customers service go be degraded.

Unlimited domains, email accounts, databases, and bandwidth is no problem. However there will always be a set amount of processing power, IO speed and disk space available on a server. All hosting companies must have limits in place to make sure you don't use more then your fair share.

Unlimited hosts use the term "unlimited" as a marketing tactic. They want people to think, "oh, if I host my site with them, it won't matter how big my site gets!"
This simply is not true! There are always limits. If you use a traditional (not unlimited), at least you know what your limits are, and are not expecting your plan to handle everything.

RDO Servers

Actually Bandwidth is probably the last thing I look at. Sorry, just not the highest thing on the priority list.
It's true, bandwidth is not a issue for most people as shared hosting account typically give way more bandwidth then most sites need. You will see bandwidth limits in the terabytes, where as most sites only use 20-100 gigabytes/mo

Ron Killian

I agree with what's been said, hosting is not something to skimp on. It is the MOST important part of any online business. I've shopped around over the years to get a good price, but never was it a deciding factor. Just to important.

Actually Bandwidth is probably the last thing I look at. Sorry, just not the highest thing on the priority list.

It's true, bandwidth is not a issue for most people as shared hosting account typically give way more bandwidth then most sites need. You will see bandwidth limits in the terabytes, where as most sites only use 20-100 gigabytes/mo
Exactly. I am probably lucky if I use 25% of my bandwidth, been that ways for years. And if your business is bandwidth intensive, like video, you're probably better off hosting those files from something like S3.

Back in the day bandwidth use to be a premium. But hasn't been for many a long time now. I remember first starting out and my first host, I got slammed for overage bill, was like $600. Was a shocker. Don't give bandwidth much of a thought now.

radwebhosting

The thing about bandwidth, when compared to other resources, such as memory and disk space, is that you can always scale bandwidth beyond your monthly allotment if necessary. The same cannot be said for memory and disk space. If you are maxing out your disk space or RAM, you will have to upgrade your package.

HostLittle

When picking packages, you certainly don't want to buy to little bandwidth. These days bandwidth is pretty cheap and most packages offer plenty of bandwidth for most websites.

Uptime is the most important to me, followed by speed. I cannot stand working on Wordpress or ecommerce software that takes forever to load or times out when uploading files.

A way around this is choosing a web hosting provider that has configured their web server (apache/nginx/litespeed) and php for Wordpress.

And then a support team that has the ability to quickly fix software/hardware problems you may run into.

Riviera

How to determine your hosting company for your website matters. How to choose bandwidth is first.

Bandwidth is basted on calculation :

If you need the high bandwidth, you can choose the unlimited bandwith of the hosting providers.
Every hosting provider has the hosting specifications - hosting plans descriptions. You need to read it carefully.
Memory/CPU/RAM is important - how strong your website will be (in case of heavy loads).

Ron Killian

If some one needs needs alot of bandwidth, going with a hosting company that offers unlimited bandwidth could be the wrong way to go. Almost all those are scam, well, they are misleading. They count on the fact that most people won't use much. But they will do something if you use to much.

Don't ever remember seeing any good, quality host offering "unlimited bandwidth". NOT a good business decision.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views