Best Anchor Text Ideas?

TausifAlHossain

What are your best anchor text ideas that won't get my site or page penalized and won't cause any harm? What kind of anchor text does Google like? If I start with 1keyword/1page. Then should I only focus on that one keyword for anchor text? Or should I focus on keyword related words too? What's the best technique?
LMK. Thanks!:)

PTTed

Here is what I do that works well for me:

Within my own site when I am linking from one page to another one, I will often times use the exact anchor text that I want the other page to rank well for. I use it repeatedly without limitation for the most part. So I am not afraid to have 50 internal links within my website all pointing at the same page with the same anchor text.

If it is an inbound link from another website, I generally want to use different anchor text every single time I get a link. At least that is what I do for the links I can control. So, if I am building three links for one page, I will use three completely different anchor texts. They might be partial keyword matches or they might not have the keyword in them at all.

If I am building links to my homepage, then I might get multiple inbound links all using the domain name or the brand name of the site. But in general, I want to vary that anchor text a lot too.

If someone else links to any of my pages naturally, then I don't care what anchor text they use.

That is the system I use and it works well for me. So far it has completely avoided Penguin/over-optimization issues.

HostPuma

Natural links from websites related to your website, are always the best links.

No, you can't focus on one "title" as it will get you penalized for sure.

RebeccaDooley

Anchor text is the clickable text in a hyperlink. SEO best practices dictate that anchor text be relevant to the page you're linking to, rather than generic text.

To find out what kind of anchor texts work in a long-term perspective and in what proportion, we selected rather competitive keywords by the following types:

Brand name/Brand-keyword hybrid
Exact match
Partial and broad match
Non-descriptive
URLs
Anchors in foreign languages
Empty alt texts in linking images
You should research keyword related words too on with the help of keyword planner.

What are your best anchor text ideas that won't get my site or page penalized and won't cause any harm? What kind of anchor text does Google like? If I start with 1keyword/1page. Then should I only focus on that one keyword for anchor text? Or should I focus on keyword related words too? What's the best technique?
LMK. Thanks!:)

SEOPub

If you have been paying attention to what Google does, you would know that since 2003 they have made several acquisitions of companies that were leading edge in the area of semantics. They have long been hungry to find ways that the algorithm can not just understand the meaning of specific words, but can truly understand language and the implied meanings behind words and phrases.

Based on that, about 5-6 years ago I started using a lot of partial anchor text links or exact anchors that were surrounded by other words. I wanted to give Google as much information as I could about what a page was about.

Since then, I have ranked pages without ever building a single exact match anchor to them and instead use a lot of natural language that is keyword heavy or LSI heavy. That doesn't mean you cannot build exact match, but doing it this way has helped pages to rank for tons of keywords that I never would have thought of. Of course, that was easier to see before Google went with their private search BS and started hiding keyword data from us in Analytics.

On a side note to that, if anyone tells you that you need to build a certain percentage of naked URL links or brand anchor links, just ignore them. There are plenty of sites ranking just fine without doing any of that nonsense. Besides, chances are that scrapers will throw naked URL and brand links at you whether you want them or not.

SEOPub

One a side note to that... Someone on my forum pointed out a local search they did for "car insurance". One of the top listings was a cleaning company with the name Progressive in it. Google has made such a strong semantic connection between Progressive and auto insurance, that this company which really should not show up in that search, is showing up because of the title Progressive.

I have done similar things on smaller scales for clients where Google associates certain search phrases with their brand name.

Understanding a little bit about semantics will have you never asking about what kind of anchor text you should use again.

I would not be surprised if larger SEO firms in the future have linguistic experts on their staff.

hina

Google also wants that you too use secondary keywords that are related to your business. Synonyms to keywords also make sense to search engines to understand the information perfectly.

kevinarndale

Anchor text in your content should be relevant with the same, it can be synonym of your keyword and other relative words. It should not be totally out of context. Long tail anchor text are very much in today SEO world.

michaelswengel

Make sure that whatever anchor text you use is relevant to both the page it's on AND the page or content being linked to. As Kevin said, make sure the context makes sense.

Jim Anson

It would be best that you choose to work on websites that are associated to your niche. With your anchor text learn to always honor community rules.

Older threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.