Best backup tool for your site?

Shole

What do you think is the best backup tool for your site/sites?
So far I just use the one in the cpanel of my host, but that's it. Do you have any other good recommendations or better tools?

RDO Servers

If your host supports it, R1Soft is a wonderful backup utility. It provides automated scheduled offsite backups, the ability to perform incremental backups, and you can recover files from a specific date in the past.

Shole

Shole
Is it a paid software?
And how secure is it?
It does say that it hosts the backups offsite or am I getting that wrong?

RDO Servers

RDO Servers
What kind of hosting do you have that you want to backup?

If you're on shared hosting, you can only use R1Soft if your host offers R1Soft.
If you're on a VPS or dedicated server, you can get R1Soft from your host, or add R1Soft yourself.

R1Soft backups are typically kept offsite, but you will want to confirm this with your host. Basically R1Soft is the backup utility/program. You can use it and send the backups whereever you want. Most hosts should send the backups to a server at a different datacenter, however I have heard of hosts using R1Soft, but sending the backups to a server in the same rack. Make sure you ask!

Shole

Shole
Well I do have a shared host but I think this would be a bit of an extra cost if I use it as it seems I need another server to send the backup to. I checked my host anyway but they do not offer R1Soft.

RDO Servers

RDO Servers
Yea, some hosts do, others don't. Does your host offer any kind of backup solution? Do you have the ability to send backups via ftp?

If so, the easiest solution would be to get some ftp storage space somewhere else. Most hosting providers do not allow using a hosting account for ftp storage, but if you talk to some of the smaller hosts and get approval first, it should be no problem.

This way, you can have 2 low cost share hosting accounts.
Host A, hosts your website, email, etc
Host B, simply has one ftp account.

At your set schedule, Host A sends its backups to Host B. This way you have offsite backups, with a different company as a fail safe in case of problems at Host A

Allchat

I don't know what sort of server your using or what platform but I use WordPress for my site and I use UpdraftPlus as it allows me to send my backups to google drive as well as save a local copy on my server. It will also allow you to send it to other online accounts such as dropbox.

I even use it for my multisite backup. The free version will do multisite but it's not as secure. It's a good plugin if you are using WordPress but as I said I don't know if that's your platform or not :)

Talaa

I relied on web host provider to create a backup for whole server in early days of starting blog. Thus, you have to pay a little money for this. Later, I found that it is really really a bad idea to store backups into site hosting server.

After that, I found a managing platform for WordPress site, ManageWP. It is a good options for website backup. But the free version allows you to create a backup only once a month. It is very best solution for a person who is running multiple WordPress sites.

Upon more investigation for website backup, I found out a backup plugin is a best choice for a non-technical person. So I started trying the backup plugins. After testing several popular backup plugins, I found out that almost all freemium backup plugins lock the restore feature behind a premium version except only Updratplus and WPvivid Backup/Restore. Needless to say, Updraftplus is one of the best backup plugins for WordPress. Recently, I tried WPvivid Backup/Restore. Surprisingly, being a new plugin, it works greatly on my site.

BountySite

R1soft is for server backup, managed by hosting provider.

If you are a webhosting customer, never backup and leave copy on your website itself.
Never trust a local backup copy on hosting server.

You need offsite backup.
Your backup service should provide with site file change history. This helps to easily track site file changes.
Your backup service should be easy to restore. Otherwise, backup is no good.

Website security starts with website backup!
BountySite has a full fledged site backup system.

stephenrobes

So far I just use the one in the cpanel of my host, but that's it. Do you have any other good recommendations or better tools?
Have you tried BlogVault? It's a really good one.

nilpotter

VaultPress give the website a strong backup. You can use it easily.

macfanpl

There is no golden answer to this.....

It all depends, whether you have SSH (root either directly or via sudo) access to the server, your needs, your underlying OS, what your host offer (like autoinstaller), how "rich" autoinstaller offer is..... it really depends on many factors.....

When dealing with autoinstalkler, the most common scenerio is that host allows you to install some form of backup software and point it to your subdomain. You may start from there. It usually allows you to backup to some popular cloud (S3/AWS, GCP, Azure) or directly to your disk.

tayyabwpb

If you are a WordPress website owner then you can use Updraft Plus plugin to take a backup of your website by setting back schedule (Daily, Weekly, Monthly)

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.