How long does it take you to write an article?

lkovnih226

Hi everyone,

I would like to get your ideas of how long does it take you or other writers here to completely write an article from scratch with a 400 to 500 word count, not just rewriting, including all research, writing and revisions.

What usually do you do when writing an article for your blog?

Ron Killian

I don't do much research, as I only write about what i know, so maybe my input doesn't count. 500 words maybe 30 minutes. Depends, some times quicker, some times longer, depends if I am in the zone or not. Not that I am a professional writer :)

adeaugustus

It all depends. Usually write a very detailed long post for my blog, a typical blog post might take a week of planning and writing. I use pictures, videos and infographics when necessary. The idea is to make the post as explicit as possible.

Another factor is the niche. Obviously, if you're in the entertainment niche, you must learn how to write short but entertaining post, because you're expected to post almost every hour. But in my blog niche some authority blog don't even post more than once a month. I post twice or thrice in a month because I have other commitment.

aemathenge

My personal speciality is the five hundred word blog article.
Paragraph break
Depending on topic and keywords, it takes me about one and a half hours from start to finish.
Paragraph break
This covers research, actual editing of the draft through to finish in United Kingdom English, and adjustments arising from citing from copyscape.
Paragraph break
As a freelancing writer however, how much a client is wishing to pay largely determines how long creating an article shall take.

Alex de Borba

My process of writing an article is rather different from others I suppose.

It all starts after waking up, do my routine. Then I get a mug of coffee and sit at my desk to start writing. I use Google Docs to write, and usually, I begin by picking up a topic, then write down fragments of information that will be added to the article. I do research and add also a fragments, and then rewrite everything adding such information as part of my article.

The process takes around 3 hours, this counting with the editing and proofreading, however my articles are often around 1000 words, other than 500.

Usually, I am listening to a random playlist of songs when writing, it helps me to focus.

shivanshis4

When not distracted, it takes an hour or two to write a good blog post. But the genre also matters as my clients are from diverse niches. Some need technical posts while others may need motivational content. Medical, finance and acedemic write-ups take the maximum time in my case. It is because these are meither my areas of interest nor I have much knowledge of them. I am sure there are many writers who are way faster than me. Cause - more experiencea and concentrate. Also, I do a lot of research while writing so the time is more. But If you are writing something which you are well-aware of, I will take lesser time.

Last edited:

sss

I have read people saying 'I do 1200-3000' words an hour but I never get how they do it. :D My approach of writing articles is a bit different. Talking about the time - It depends on multiple things like - length of article, research needed, image required, intellectual level of audience and most importantly - mood and concentration.

But thinking of normal scenario - My general Contentmart Article projects range between 1000-1200 words for long articles and 500-800 for short articles.

So, it takes 1-2 hours for me to write a short article while 2-3 hours for long articles. But I know it's slow so trying to improve.

Claire_Anderson

Writing an article without researching takes maximum of 30 minutes, but when i have to write a unique article after researching then it takes 2 hours and if i have to add HD images for each heading then it takes maximum of 3 hours(for finding the appropriate images). But sometimes i increase the timing to write a long and detailed article of 5000+ words.
For writing a unique article, you should pay attention to the quality of the contents rather than the time that is required to write the contents. Users always prefer to read unique and detailed articles and quality always matters more than the quantity.

ulterios

Usually writing an article will take me somewhere between 15-30 minutes for between 500+ words. The main reason that it only takes me that long is that I usually write about things that I know about. That helps cut down on any research that would normally be needed.

If I am writing an article on something that I really don't know enough about then it can take anywhere from about an hour to maybe two hours, depending on how much reading and research I need to do.

rbmm

There is also the "How fast do you type" factor.

I sometimes write 500 words in 20-30 minutes, but then I write another related article for another 20-30 minutes.

I then go back and re-read/re-write the first, and then the second. Now I have two different articles on similar subjects, and am done in about 1 hour.

That said, it depends on what information I am trying to convey to my readers.

I don't worry too much about the time if I am creating quality. That is why I will set my writing aside for a while and then go back to it. I often get a new perspective on what I have been trying to write.

Older threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.