Do Pop-Ups and Pop-Unders affect SEO ranking?

Steve32

I am having a blog and some landing pages on it and I want to increase conversions, my consideration is popads . net

But someone said that using pupunder or pupup could affect SEO rankings because it will increase bounce rate on a website and it is not good for SEO. Is it exact?

Nytshade

I don't understand when you say landing page because landing page can mean a lot of things, but I'll assume you're talking about a blog post.

To answer your question:

It all boils down to user experience, if Google is sending you traffic and people keep hitting the back button after visiting your page then you'll drop in the rankings. Some people will hit the back button simply because they can't find a way to close the Advert, whether on desktop, tablet or mobile phone these Ads can be tricky sometimes.

Another reason would be someone on a really slow internet connection, or someone who uses data bundles (capped internet). These 2 type of people will hit the back button as fast as they came in when they can't see what they came for.

So your friend is right, it will affect your bounce rate then end up affecting your rankings.

In conclusion, I would look at this from the end user's standpoint to see if it benefits them or not, to make sure that the Ads are not a destruction for the end user.

That's just my 2 cents, I never use pop-ups or pop-under Ads on my blogs because I hate seeing one when I visit other people's blogs and sometimes it's just annoying and I close the page as fast as I came in then search somewhere else.

SEOPub

They seem to work just fine on many big, well-known sites like IGN (who has pop-ups to the point of maddening annoyance) and ESPN.

I think the majority of the time when you see someone say that pop-ups impacted their rankings, they are just looking for an excuse for why they cannot get their site ranking better. It couldn't possibly be that the content is useless, the site structure is horrible, or that their links are beyond weak. Nope, let's blame the pop-ups.

Hawker

IMHO pop ups are a big NO NO if you have an authority site and want to gain the respect of your users/readers.

Some sites are just arrogant though and use popups even though they know it upsets their users because they earn good money from it.

Popunders aren't as bad as popups (at least they don't block what you're trying to view/read). But again, they can effect the performance/experience of your users.

What you have to weigh up is whether it would be of any benefit to your readers or whether the earnings they can/may bring outweigh those annoyances.

Sometimes if you're using either, it might be a good idea to include that in your TOS or Privacy page to let people know it and offer a way of disabling it. (Example: For logged in users).

Also to let people know that any revenue earned is put back into the site and not to pay for a 4 week holiday to the Seychelles. That kind of erks people. :)

Allchat

Popups and popunders are also a bad move if you are just starting out or rely on true organic traffic vs automated traffic. You don't want visitors to run off before they have even had a chance to see what you really offer and send friends your way.

Unless you get thousands of hits a month I wouldn't do it. If you are offering a quality product (preferably your own) or great info, then just use the right keywords you want to rank for and promote promote promote.

Leave the popups go. "Just my opinion"

Judas2018

It depends. You must buy pop under or pop up traffic from reliable providers who don't engage in spam tactics or have any malware connections. Not sure many of those providers exist anymore. Also pop up and pop under traffic is kind of archaic in 2017 going on 2018. Everyone now is using social media or banner ads to get traffic. AdWords from Google also.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.