Do you trust hosting reviews websites?

Maxoq

Hey Guys,

If yes why? If no why?

Nytshade

I wouldn't trust them simply because most of them (if not all) are affiliates, so they'll say anything to make sure they get that commission. That's the main reason I would never trust hosting reviews.

If your website is still brand new or getting less than 200 visitors a day, then you don't really need to worry about which hosting company you're using. The problem comes when you have to move from shared hosting to VPS or dedicated server, it can be hard to get a good and affordable provider, most are expensive.

So I wouldn't recommend reviews, I would recommend that you contact different providers to test their professionalism, especially support. Also avoid big companies and go for independent hosting providers, even if you can find someone who's local in your area.

Hope that answers your question.

RDO Servers

Sadly, most of the hosting review sites out there are useless. They simply "rank" hosts based on which ones they get the best affiliate payout from.

The best review sites I have found would be ReviewHell.com (Site owners honest opinion of hosts) and WebHostingGeeks.com (moderated, user submitted reviews)

Ron Killian

I agree with what's already been said. Usually don't trust them myself. Last time I went looking for a host, I did alot of research. Best place I've found was web hosting talk. I checked there, the host I was looking at was a long time regular member and most every one has very good things to say about them.

ulterios

As a whole, I wouldn't trust most of them because most hosting review site owners only care about making money and not providing accurate information. There are a couple of respectable ones out there that I have came across that seemed to be impartial for the most part. The trick is separating the junk ones from the few decent ones. ;)

ioZoom

Pick and choose but as others have said most of them are ranked based on affiliate payout or advertising. I think a good rule of thumb is if you see a bunch of EIG companies at the top you can be sure it's fake rankings.

ElixantTechnology

As mentioned by others, the Hosting Review sites are simply an affiliate scheme to build rank and achieve higher affiliate payouts. This used to be an excellent model, and for some it still is... However, the vast majority of "Top Hosts" are simply those owned and operated by EIG, creating a monopoly to begin with. Unfortunately, this isn't a good thing...

rmmfree

Each day is more difficult to trust user reviews about products and services on the internet because many of them are posted by people who earns something with it.

Localnode

There's a lot of affiliate review websites.
However, there's a few good ones - Review Hell and Host Jury spring to mind. Then there's forum posts about user experiences...
Steer away from "top host" reviews as they are generally getting paid to have a host within top 10.

Beaver08

Depends how much their rating are. High tusted with 70% is trustble

Reactions: maidashahidhh

RDO Servers

RDO Servers
Not necessarily.

A) A lot of the hosting review sites, use fake reviews to trick people into using the host that gives (the review site owner) the highest affiliate commission.
B) You can look online and find a lot of actual, positive reviews for companies like HostGator, Arvixe, A Small Orange, etc. However, most of these reviews are from before the hosts were acquired by EIG and are no longer accurate reflections on the hosts level of service.

Beaver08

Well you can check hostsearch for it, well i used them and they have IP tracker so there can you see if they fake or real. But you have a point of it. But I should choose always one who use IP check. And I should register by one and search everything out. If the support does not reply your tickets then its not safe and https makes a way also to trust a bit more but that will says either not everything.

sclaeys

Hey Guys,

If yes why? If no why?
Unfortunately, it is hard to find a nonpartisan web hosting review site. Most are paid affiliates with professional-looking websites to give off the feeling of a legitimate review company. Unfortunately, there isn't a Consumer Reports-esque monthly report.

jordyjl

I do not trust on reviews, everyone have they own words for it. I should check first the reviews of the hosting self. Remind that it can be fake reviews that they made at they own. I should try the first month to see how it goes and go on. Thats the offically way to check if a hosting got the promised features that they put on the site. And then can you put reviews and for real proof can you use Images that you can use as link, I use lightshot for picture witch is very easy to use. But this is the way how i doing it.

vishwa

When I want to check reviews of a hosting site, I usually go to wht website for genuine reviews. Most of the hosting reviewing sites are made biased opinion to skyrocket their affiliate sales. You can also rely on reviews posted on independent hosting directory sites which were reviewed by users with their domain hosted on that particular hosting Company.

SenseiSteve

All of the decent review sites have already been mentioned here. Anytime you see a top ten list where all of them are EIG brands, don't trust their reviews.

chrisparker

I believe the reviews of the sites on the third party websites like hostadvice and serchen as they verify everything like geolocation, bot verification and much more

bacloud

As I remember, one of those review websites offered me 4th place for 500$/month. LOL

whland

No. I don't trust the reviews on those dedicated review sites.

Most of the hosts that are on top are just on top because of high affiliate payouts.

I trust reviews more from blogs and forums.

Chad

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies