How to avoid Spam comments on Wordpress ?

Jack London

Hello,

I have a blog that base on WordPress flatform for my main site
Every day i get like 100 "comments" to approve but I do not think even one is relevant to the post.
Only fake names, email addresses, and crazy list of keywords for spaming.
Any helps ?

AlexSurly

Hi Jack,

I don't know any really effective way to avoid these spam comments completely, but let me suggest a solution that may be helpful in this kind of situation. It will protect your site from maleficent outbound links posted by spammers. If there is no pre-moderation on your site (for certain reasons) or you've just missed to screen out some comment with a spam link in it, then you're in danger of AdSense account suspension (if you use one) or your website's position can be decreased by Google (due to improper links posted on your site). To help all the webmasters to cope with the problem our team have recently developed free CMS plugin called Sur.ly - it is a free WP plugin that replaces potentially dangerous links posted by web scammers at your website (in comments section of your blog or on the forum) with secure links to the interstitial pages on Sur.ly, so you and your visitors can work safely (improper links posted among user-generated content on your site will be detected and your visitors warned about threats).

Thanks!

Last edited:

hoangvu

@AlexSurly, that's very essential tips.
@Jack, if you want to avoid spam comments on wordpress. you can use capcha for posts. it's very effective to anti spam and don't forget moderate your comments before approving it.

pramod

Hi Kelly,

@AlexSurly, that's very essential tips.
Yes, the tips are useful considering the spam links, as those are replaced by sur.ly safer links.

@Jack, if you want to avoid spam comments on wordpress. you can use capcha for posts. it's very effective to anti spam and don't forget moderate your comments before approving it.
Use of captcha cannot fix the spam comments, still spammers will comment on the blog posts, its only effective for automated softwares, isn't it?

mickeyy

Make your users log-in to comment. This is something that probably wont be a good idea for the majority of bloggers, but it will certainly stop spam. I would also recommend using a Captcha (like Recaptcha) and disabling pingbacks.

Holly Nicole

Use Akismet it blocks the spam Comments very easily. They have a free version which is for personal use. I highly recommend using it if your getting that many spam comments.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views