What is the average cost of a dedicated server?

Gregorio

I want to set up a website for my small business, basically not expecting too much traffic but the general consensus has been against shared servers. I need to get an idea of the cost of having a dedicated server? Including upfront costs and monthly fee.

RDO Servers

Dedicated Server costs vary greatly. Anywhere from ~$50/mo to ~$1,500/mo with the average being around $150-$200/mo.

It all depends on what resources you need, and how reliable you want it to be.

The first thing you need to consider is how much CPU, RAM, Drive space, Bandwidth you need and if you need a unmanaged or managed server. This will let you know what to look for and you can start shopping around.
The next thing you need to consider is how reliable you need it to be. There are several places where you can find servers for cheap. However, there are downfalls to this as well. Remember the old saying "You get what you pay for"! Many of the budget server providers provide services for cheap because they cut corners on their network and/or support.

Since you need this for your business, I assume you need it to be online all the time. When shopping around, be sure to check their uptime guarantee, are they a re-seller, or do they own their own hardware, how redundant is their network and do they have a single point of failure anywhere. Then you want to ask about, and test their support. Is it truly 24-7? What are their response times like? If your server goes down at 2am on a Saturday morning, how long will it take to get support? Many providers like OVH, Dacentec, etc will simply say "Yea, our router went down. we're replacing it and will be back online in a couple hours" or "Oh well we can still ping the server, so the rest is your problem"

If you need reliability, and have a decent budget, staying away from budget providers will save you a lot of headache in the long run!

Localnode

I want to set up a website for my small business, basically not expecting too much traffic but the general consensus has been against shared servers. I need to get an idea of the cost of having a dedicated server? Including upfront costs and monthly fee.
Why are you against shared servers? Some shared web hosting companies are very reliable. If you're not expecting too much traffic - you're basically wasting money - as you most definitely don't need a dedicated server.

postcd

I'm a budget person, so i choose budget servers which cost from $15 to $90
Sample providers are kimsufi and online dot net

Redswitches

Hello Gregorio,

Actully costing os dedicated server totally depends upon the configuration you need, basically the cost of dedicated hosting starts from EUR 75 to EUR 150 in which HDD, RAM , port may vary depending on your need you can place the order for your dedicated server.

SenseiSteve

You don't need to be anywhere near in popularity to Facebook, Twitter, Amazon and eBay to require a dedicated server. Whether you should opt for shared hosting, a VPS or dedicated server depends pretty much on the amount of resources you require. I've seen some low end dedicated servers leasing from $5 to $10 per month (old hardware and no support) to high end servers costing hundreds of dollars. On average, I'd put the cost of a quality dedicated server in the $100 to $200 range.

hmb-robert

You will find managed servers more costing than Un-managed servers. Are you looking for managed Dedicated server or Un-managed Dedicated server?

Saurabh_PuH

There are certian points which I want to focus on as per your post.

1. Since your requirement is not that heavy you should only go for shared hosting or wordpress hosting in case your website are wordpress based.

2. General concensus against shared hosting is only against those ultra cheap shared hosting which oversell to keep prices low and still make profit. So logic says, dont boycott shared hosting, boycot ultra cheap hosting.

3. Dedicated Servers should only be opted for when your requirements are huge.

So the bottomline is, be ready to loosen your pockets a little bit and focus on the configuration. Check the RAM, CPU, Bandwidth, I/O in the shared hosting and you will have a great experience.

MrRapidHost

It all depends on your requirements and preferences, you can go with a LowEnd provider and get something close to no support and pay real low price, most LowEnd dedis tend to go from $15-30$, and then outsource support and management which will cost you big time.
Or you can go with a reliable provider pay all in one, $70-$500 and get the service your looking for and get taken care of.
I would suggest you rethink the shared hosting, or atleast consider a VPS, because starting with a dedicated server when you don't need it will be a big waste of funds.

freebird37

Some providers offer packages starting at $80 a month, but those are usually older model servers being sold cheap to keep them in service. Most entry level servers start at around $149 a month and can go up to $400 depending on how many extras you add.

Soulwatcher

Your looking at $150+ for a budget low end server and up to $1000+ for a high end server. And you're probably better going with managed unless you have a IT server guy. Because it's very easy to mess up a server if you don't know what you're doing. And your server provider is going to charge $50+ to reload the OS!

virtubox

virtubox
If your provider charge you to reload the OS, just look for another one. There are several unmanaged dedicated servers available from $50, with a control panel to reinstall your server when you want without any extra fees. If you are going to pay more than 200$/mo for a server, look for a freelancer to setup your server and provide you support when needed.

vishwa

Since you are just starting your business than shared hosting will be a great option for you. You may later upgrade your hosting to VPS or dedicated server if you need more space and bandwidth. Otherwise shared hosting works great. There are many good shared hosting providers like Siteground, Dreamhost, Inmotionhosting etc.

EzzyTech-Sakib

A decent dedicated server may cost $200-$1000 per month. But as you are saying that you don't have much traffic, you can go for a VPS. Everything will be under your control and cost will be reduced enough.

amanwaa

Its depend on your traffic requirements for example -

LWUS-1 Intel®Xeon® X3440 4 Cores x 3.2GHz 16GB DDR3 4TB (4X1TB SATA) 50TB (at 1Gbit port) 84.00/mo

BizAcquire

I understand if you wont to use shared hosting because too many often share hosting will make your website slow, even when you edit the website. But if you starter, use dedicated service will eat your cost too much also. I think it's enough for you to use VPS, which will cost just around $10-15 per month only. I use VULTR, or you an use other service like DIgitalOcean etc is enough.

But this is just my 2 cents

mkreyn

As for me the best thing is to start with a VPS. Then depending on what amount of traffic one receives, one could scale horizontally. It is very easy to do this being on board of VPS, especially when we talk about cloud computing - just stopping your VPS for a couple of minutes and increasing CPU, RAM and disk space, depending on one's requirements.

Considering to rent a dedicated server is rather bad idea unless one can boast really huge amount of traffic. Another reason for shopping for a dedicated server is necessity to perform heavy computing which would potentially harm one's neiboughrs on VPS node. In this case it's really worth of having a dedicated server. But one need to be ready to pay for that - the cheaper the dedicated server costs, the less stability in its functioning one can expect. That's the general rule which actually works in most cases.

Anju

If you don't have huge traffic you can try VPS hosting service. Small and medium businesses, developers with minimal programs can see benefits with VPS hosting. a VPS (Virtual Private Server) is almost imitating the features and services offered by a dedicated server. VPS hosting allows users to utilize the complete root access just as the dedicated server hosting providers to its site owners.
If we compare price then VPS hosting is cheaper than the Dedicated server.

MarcS

Dedicated Hosting is very costly than any other hosting. A dedicated server will start from $15 a month and there is no upper limit in the price.
You can choose VPS instead of Dedicated server as you said that the traffic is low on your website. You’ll get virtual server with dedicated resources in VPS Hosting, somehow same as Dedicated Server.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
wms
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.