How to choose server CPU?

DotNetNerd

I was looking at some xeon processor benchmarks and cant tell the best way to choose processor for better performance.

I always though the older L, X, W, & E series were old school and slower. E3's are better, E5's are the best. But then I saw this
[URLnofo]http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html[/URLnofo]
So how to choose? I see some E3's have a higher benchmark then some E5's. Even the old W3690 has a higher score then some E5's. So what gives better performance? Just go by what has the highest benchmark score? Does clock speed matter as much in a web hosting scenario?

RDO Servers

So, let me preface this by saying, there is no clear answer. "So what (CPU) gives better performance" is like asking "Who makes the best cheeseburger". Ask 20 people, and you will get at least 10 different answers.

Comparing chipsets
With each new chipset, there are various improvements, despite just the differences in processors.
Bus speed
Memory Chanel's
Cache support
Etc.
All of these factors play into the overall performance of your server.

Clock Speed
The clock speed of a processor is a measure of how many functions it can process in a second. The higher the clock speed, the more it can process. You would think this makes clock speed the most important factor, but not really (keep reading)

Cores & Threads
The number of cores is how many physical processing cores are in the chip. The number of threads is the number of processing pathways in the core. The more cores, the more work the server can handle at a time. Some cores could be at 100%, but you still have other cores ready to do some work when it comes in.

Limitations of various chipsets
Most of the older Xeon chips can handle 2 physical processors and around 96Gb of RAM.
The E3 series is limited to a single CPU and 32Gb of RAM. Despit the limitations, E3 is still a wonderful processor! For most applications, a E3 works perfect. The E3-1275v3 can outperform several of the E5 chips, at a lower cost.
If you need 2 or more CPU's, 32gb up to 1.5TB of RAM, and up to 16 cores per chip, then look for a higher end E5, but it will cost you!

The biggest thing you need to keep in mind is, there is more to it then just the processor!
You can get better performance from a old X5680 with SSD's, then you will a E5-2670 with HDD's.
You can shell out the money for a E5-2698, but only get 16Gb of RAM, and your server may still be too small for your needs.

Benchmarks are a good tool to look at, but take into consideration what you are using it for, and what else may cause a bottleneck on your server. Otherwise you may find yourself driving a lamborghini with a golf cart transmission and bicycle wheels.

ElixantTechnology

When choosing a processor you need to consider many factors, such as whether the application you are building or using requires a high chip frequency (power) versus whether the application is multi-threaded and needs access to more cores. The E5 and E7 CPUs are great for just that, the number of cores accessible. When running Virtual Servers or Web Hosting however, a higher chip frequency may be the better option as you get more access to power.

postcd

Just count number of the CPU threads and then multiply it by the one thread frequency (in gigahertz)
You will get cumulative frequency, more the better.

To compare CPUs, add cpu name into google. I usually find ark.intel page which shows CPU details.

ioZoom

Another thing to consider is that you can only run a single e3 cpu vs running dual e5's which gives you more overall performance so it depends on your application.

Saurabh_PuH

I was looking at some xeon processor benchmarks and cant tell the best way to choose processor for better performance.

I always though the older L, X, W, & E series were old school and slower. E3's are better, E5's are the best. But then I saw this
So how to choose? I see some E3's have a higher benchmark then some E5's. Even the old W3690 has a higher score then some E5's. So what gives better performance? Just go by what has the highest benchmark score? Does clock speed matter as much in a web hosting scenario?
Don't go by the series, it is all about the combination. Core, GHz, etc. You are right to say clock speed matters in web hosting.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
wms
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.