Which is the best Web 2.0 site to blog with? Top 10 Poll!

Which Web 2.0 Blog Do You Prefer?

• Livejournal.com

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Webs.com

• Wix.com

• Slashdot.org

• Edublogs.org

• Wikidot.com

• Total voters

Hawker

If you could only use one Web 2.0 site to blog with for SEO/backlinks/juice + to build brand awareness with, which one would it be?

I'm not talking about Social Media sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram etc
but about actual Web 2.0 sites like Wordpress.com, Blogger.com, Tumblr.com, LiveJournal, WikiDot etc

I've put a list of the Top 10 Web 2.0 blogs in a poll so overtime we can see which one people prefer to use the most.

1. Wordpress.com
  2. Blogger.com
  3. Tumblr.com
  4. LiveJournal.com
  5. Wikidot.com
  6. Webs.com
  7. Wix.com
  8. Weebly.com
  9. Slashdot.org
  10. Edublogs.org
There are some other Web 2.0 blogs as well not in that list that you might prefer such as
Diigo.com, Jigsy.com, Soup.oi, Wallinside.com, Webnode.com, Wiki.com. Yola.com, Thoughts.com, Bravenet, Newsvine, Deviantart and some other not so known abouts.
come to think of it should have probably made a top 20 list, but I just want to know which one people prefer to use the most for SEO and brand awareness! ;)

Ron Killian

I have not gone that route in some time, never seemed to pay off very well for me. If I remember though, blogspot/blogger was the one I used the most. And Weebly.

Honestly Wordpress.com shouldn't even be on the list. They do NOT like marketing, promotion or backlinks. I've learned that one a few times. They are quick to delete blogs.

Miguelito203

I didn't know that people still did this. Back-in-the-day, though, I used to use Blogspot because it's owned by Google. I figured what better way to get ranked in the SERPS with the least amount of effort, right? Some of the other sites I used to use for that stuff don't exist, anymore. They got acquired. Plus, they would always be changing the rules on you and stuff. I don't think the free version of Wordpress (that creates a sub-directory) allows you to use affiliate links, either. After so many algorithm changes and stuff, I just learned that I needed to control my own stuff. Even if the site is small, you'll make back your initial investment in a year and then some -- even if you're lazy.

Joey

HCFGrizzly

None of them. If you want to create your website, invest some money and create your own blog, don`t create a free blog just for the free hosting and the free domain. You will cry when one day your website will be closed down without too much explanations.

Maybe I didn`t understand the question and you are talking about Web 2.0 submissions, which again is a stupid concept. These submissions didn`t work in the past, don`t work now and won`t work in the future.

Hawker

Thanks for all your responses so far. I've felt the need to quote all of your responses and reply to each in one post rather than individually.
I have not gone that route in some time, never seemed to pay off very well for me. If I remember though, blogspot/blogger was the one I used the most. And Weebly.

Honestly Wordpress.com shouldn't even be on the list. They do NOT like marketing, promotion or backlinks. I've learned that one a few times. They are quick to delete blogs.
That is very true, they don't like affiliate links and when people create a Wordpress.com blog purely for that reason. That said, there are many many BIG Wordpress.com blogs that have been going for years and they bring the owner much traffic to their site from them. Not all Web 2.0 blogs are created purely for backlinks/SEO. If everyone of your blog posts have outgoing links in them then it will raise flags and bring your blog into question. But there are many many old Wordpress.com blogs out there that use them as a blog and they have many many followers because they don't post affiliate links / links to their site etc in all of them. They don't post stuff that is a blatant promotion of something.

Here's a good example of a Wordpress.com blog in the beauty niche that's been around a long time [URLnofo]https://makeupmorsels.wordpress.com/[/URLnofo]
I didn't know that people still did this. Back-in-the-day, though, I used to use Blogspot because it's owned by Google. I figured what better way to get ranked in the SERPS with the least amount of effort, right? Some of the other sites I used to use for that stuff don't exist, anymore. They got acquired. Plus, they would always be changing the rules on you and stuff. I don't think the free version of Wordpress (that creates a sub-directory) allows you to use affiliate links, either. After so many algorithm changes and stuff, I just learned that I needed to control my own stuff. Even if the site is small, you'll make back your initial investment in a year and then some -- even if you're lazy.

Joey
That is true too, it's the same with blogging on any platform that is free like Wordpress, Blogger etc, it doesn't "belong" to you and they can take it down or close for business at any time. Anyone remember Posterous.com? That said, it can still be "utilized" if you do it cleverly and only post informative articles that aren't spam to it or simply for using an extra face to your early business (brand awareness).
None of them. If you want to create your website, invest some money and create your own blog, don`t create a free blog just for the free hosting and the free domain. You will cry when one day your website will be closed down without too much explanations. Maybe I didn`t understand the question and you are talking about Web 2.0 submissions, which again is a stupid concept. These submissions didn`t work in the past, don`t work now and won`t work in the future.
I disagree, I wouldn't create a blog purely because its "free", and when I do create a blog on one of those sites, I know all along that it could get pulled down and deleted at any minute. That's the risk you take.

But these Web 2.0 sites rank highly on their own, so sometimes you can get one of them to the front page of Google search result just on their own for certain things without even having to SEO them. I don't know why you say "these submissions didn't work in the past" because they have worked for me in the past and still do to this day. Perhaps they didn't work for "you" though which is perhaps why you call it a "stupid concept"?

Is article marketing a stupid concept?

Or is it that what didn't work for you is stupid?

It's not all about using them to rank with, sometimes it's just about having an extra platform to have your voice on. Even if it doesn't have any links in your posts to your site or anywhere that's still brand awareness that you're creating through having it. Plus a lot of them don't mind links and you get a dofollow contextual keyword link from it, so worth having really.

I still have some old Web 2.0 blogs up from about 5 years ago that are still there and ranking today. :)

I still remember when the web 2.0 site that I loved to use (Squidoo) started changing the rules and started locking peoples' "lens" (articles) because of how the algorithm was set up. Man, that stung -ha! Once they started that, my income (and a lot of other peoples') started drying up. That's really what made me "see the light."

Joey
Yeah those were the days Joey! I remember that too. More fool them if you ask me because people stopped using them then and they would have lost out on that themselves. But your point is valid.

Still, web 2.0 blogs will be with us for us long as social media sites will be probably so better to make use of them while they exist imho. :)

Miguelito203

I thought about using them after I started my own stuff (for a time). Then, I noticed a couple of things: 1) The platform you might choose to use can depend on the niche you're in. I know that Tumblr's popular, but you might only use something like that for something very specific -- given the way it's set up. 2) After I looked at some of the other options (like what some of my competitors were using in niches outside of MMO), I just thought they were ugly (layout and such) -- like there was no way in the world they could convert that well.

Joey

ericplotz1

To answer the OP, it really doesn't matter when diversification is the key anyway. What I would focus on if utilizing 2.0s, is the same that applies for building PBNs. Look for expired accounts with a good link profile. There are methods with scrapebox and utilizing the right footprints. I haven't quite figured that out all of the way, so utilize a provider at the moment. I get expired PR4 web 2's with solid link profiles for about $40. The person who can find em', it just cost them time.

None of them. If you want to create your website, invest some money and create your own blog, don`t create a free blog just for the free hosting and the free domain. You will cry when one day your website will be closed down without too much explanations.

Maybe I didn`t understand the question and you are talking about Web 2.0 submissions, which again is a stupid concept. These submissions didn`t work in the past, don`t work now and won`t work in the future.
Yes you are correct, you didn't understand the question. He blatantly said for SEO or branding purposes, in which Web 2.0s work great for. Also utilized in ORM quite a bit too.

So yessir, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Equady

As a matter of fact, I've been on all those platforms, and my favorite is Wordpress, the second favorite Blogspot, with Tumblr running late but on the list. In my opinion, the ultimate one isn't born yet. :devil:

zarawatsonn

To be honest, In my opinion blogspot is one of the best blogging site, here you can find everything you want from a blog site.
Wordpress is also a good Web 2.0 site, everyone has its own choices.

EpicGlobalWeb

I agree with this not only for what you said but also because you don't really own your content on "web 2.0" sites. I think it's best to treat external sites as "taste tests" for your marketing content material. In other words, keep your best content for your own site and use the others as bait.

Joomla? I think Joomla is very good, specifically their extensions.
Joomla is an amazing framework!

Priyanka Gupta

The best Web 2.0 site to blog :
Wordpress
Blogspot
Tumblr
Livejournal
Webs
Weebly
Slashdot
Edublogs
Wikidot
Wix

Rob Whisonant

I use just about all of them. But I don't use them for regular blogging. I use them for branding. I curate content on them from the site being branded. I use branded links and bare links only. I do not use them for target keywords. I don't use any affiliate links on these at all. I treat them more as news sites reporting what is happening on the main site.

I like to make sure all my brandable sites have a presence on as many places as possible. I want to make it easy for people to find and digest my content the way they want and where they want.

ntk683

I both use Blogspot and wordpress.com; But i prefer blogspot because of its convenience and supports from Google.

Zack

Wordpress.com is my choice here. I prefer the self-hosted version of Wordpress but I also use the .com version for some things. After that then I would choose Blogger.com as a second choice. I wouldn't use the others.

redfish

OP, the list you have given is more enough and but a small twist in my ranking strategy, i am using the web 2.0 but expired high pa and tf web 2.0 which is spam free and already indexed in google, which is a kind of ready-made link juice to have blog post and get it for our rank boost. so in that point of view, For all web 2.0 we might not get the expired web 2.0 but only few you get with good metrics.

and coming to your question with my expired web 2.0, these are the ones am using now..Blogspot,Wordpress,Medium,Twitter,Storify,Webnode,Jimdo,LiveJournal,Weebly,Postagon,Yolasite,Jigsy and some 20+ more...

Sam

I love WordPress. It's a great web 2.0 platform. With WordPress, every web social needs can be fulfilled with the help of developers. There are so many developers who are creating great templates which integrating great social features to make your web 2.0 becomes more attractive and interactive. WordPress is ease customization, and there are many webmasters who would like to share their skills in optimizing WordPress for web 2.0. How do you think?

Unknown

Is it bad if I haven't heard about some of them? haha. Anyway, for me, it was a very easy and a simple choice - WordPress! I have been using it for ages now and I'd honestly never stop or switch to another platform. Why would I? WordPress literally has anything you'd want... even if you look at how much ''freedom'' it gives with the creation of websites/blogs, it's the best it can be.

Just to link some pros:
- easy to use, even if you have no clue about blog/website creation,
- looks very sleek and professional,
- absolutely amazing support services,
- the most widely used web 2.0 blog platform,
- hundreds of themes and plugins,
- can easily make mobile friendly pages,
- and more!

A clean winner or what? :)

centurion

The best web 2.0 technology is Wordpress.org. Secondly I support for tumblr.com. Its all great for getting some sales by publishing product link continuously.

Thanks
Centurion

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.