Does PHP 7 causing issues with older WordPress website?

jameswilliam723

Hi developers out there,

I need to know that, Does php 7 cauing any problems with WordPress websites? If so, then share what are the major issues you have found when you migrating your old WP website with new PHP 7.

Are those issues really makes you trouble or Is there some more issues that's been list out here.

Share your thoughts, waiting to hear from you all.

Developer

As with any new version of PHP (or with anything for that matter), the possibility
of problems arising is very possible, especially since with each release comes a few
depreciated functions. The best thing to do would be to install a copy of your blog
on a server with AND without php7 to see if it causes problems for you, your WP
install and the plugins you have implemented.

In my experience, when newer versions of PHP are released and implemented, any
problems that arise are s usually from the plugins more so than WP itself.

That said, if YOU are having problems with your copy of WP, it's also best to check
out all of your plugins as the problem will most likely stem from a plugin rather than
WP itself. Troubleshoot by deactivating ALL your plugins and then activating them
one at a time. If no problems arise, you're good to go. As soon as a problem arises,
you'll know exactly what it causing it.

Mike001

James,

What I have seen thus far, and keep in mind that with the new release of PHP7 there is still much testing going on, at least with the sites that I support, is that the core features seem to be working fine.

I have seen a very modest increase in the speed of response with 7, if I had to guess that has to do with the new Zend engine, this is called the next generation engine and I believe that it is still in the development phases, from what I have read.

The issues that I have run into have had to do with plugins. Of course you will need to reach out to the plugin developers for any updates to those that you may be supporting.

I am sure that there will be a lot more input on this topic as more and more sites migrate.

The key now is getting the hosting providers to migrate to 7, which on a couple of the sites that I support was a challenge.

Mike
[Link Deleted by Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Web Marketing Tool

A short answer is yes. With all the themes and plugins out there many people switching to php 7 are sure to run into issues. My personal approach is upgrading to php 7 for all the benefits but not being selective with anything I add from 3rd parties to WordPress.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.