Time spent on content vs. time spent on marketing?

pcyownsme

I am sure every internet marketer has grappled with this question before, even if the answer only took a few seconds to discover: how much time do you spend on creating new content compared to the amount of time you spend promoting it or your site? Can you come up with a specific ratio? I know each niche is more different, though and I'm interested to see how you respond.

Julzwriter

Managing a website is a full time job.
It makes more sense to outsource some task,
such as article writing, so that you can concentrate
on marketing your website on a full time basis. I am
a writer and I have to say I spend more time writing
content for other people than for my site. Marketing
the site takes up half my time, the other half of my time
is spent working on client projects.

Ron Killian

What I do, and what I should do are two different things :)

One stat that gets used alot is 20% content creation, 80% promotion. I think it's a very good goal.

Just as important, if not more important, is promotional methods that actually bring in results. Too many people waste their time on methods that don't work or don't help. Know I have.

savidge4

I have 2 answers to this question.. for my online business' i am the exact opposite than many, and I tend towards the 80 percent content and 20 percent marketing. For me at least the content IS the marketing effort.

In my offline efforts.. the complete opposite to an extreme... 5% content and 95% marketing. To give you an idea there is an online aspect of my offline business that I dont even have a web presents for, so technically that would be 100% marketing.

denvercardonations

When I was frustrated by my lack of incoming traffic for a website I was building for my photography in Japan, I spent so much time linkbuilding, going to forums to promoted it, learning how to market it on social media, heck I had a Facebook fan page with nearly 13,000 active viewers. A few times a week I would post to them, I couldn't leave them waiting too long for my next photo, and boy did those hundreds or thousand :ertery: with hundreds of comments praising my work felt pretty good. With all of this love on Facebook and social media why would I even need Google to index my website? A few years later, I still have over 12,000 people on my fan page -- and really it means nothing -- it was just one big circlejerk on Facebook. For all those years I had ignored Google, rarely posting quality content to my website itself, but what I did post was quality and unique. I had a few deep links for awhile to individual photos, and many years later Google has shown me that one of the things that makes them so special, is that you can be rest assured, many years later, they will have let your content that you built ago like wine, and will properly reward you. If I google words related to my photos, Flickr doesn't come up, Facebook doesn't come up -- no, all of the content shows up that mirrored my content, that discussed my content, etc. And I believe that Google understand that when people Google my name, that there is a contextual meaning given because the content all had my photo credits. I am not in Japan anymore, but I think I know that once I add my by-line to my new photo blog where I try to raise awareness for the homeless -- that Google will wrap that blog up in the context of "professional photographer" and keep carrying on the relevancy and make the associations between my old content. It's early morning, so I am rambling, carry on. :computer:

Last edited:
Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
wms

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.