Vimeo vs YouTube Media Player?

BillEssley

WMS Marketplace Seller
Which media player do you think is better? Personally, I prefer the YouTube video player.

However, a lot of people I know prefer the Vimeo player.

Hawker

Do you mean for when viewing that video on that video site.

Or for when viewing that video on say, your website in a page/post?

BillEssley

WMS Marketplace Seller
BillEssley
I mean for both!

Wait..you are mentioning to view a video in a page/post of a website? I don't think Youtube videos work as well in this case, I could not view a video as full screen for an embed video.

Hawker

Hawker
Okay, well for starters, you can view an embedded YouTube video in a page/post in full screen mode just the same as you can when viewing it on YouTube. You just click the little square screen icon and it opens into full screen mode just the same as it does on YouTube.

But I thought to mention it because you didn't specify which that you meant.

As for me, I prefer to use YouTube for both.

YouTube is much bigger and has more users. Also they offer more video player options, different resolution sizes for starters! And there are more embed/share options.

Vimeo isn't as big and doesn't have the same big userbase (Vimeo isn't part of Google). Also their vids don't have many video player options and they have less share/embed options.

For this reason, YouTube wins.

That said, sometimes, it's more apt to use a vimeo player and sometimes I just use it because I don't want to use YouTube video.

Ron Killian

Have to say Youtube as well. Though I hate to promote the money machine. As Hawker said, Vimeo just doesn't have the number of video's, they don't have the selection, not even close.

If it's for my own video's on my own site I like JW Player.

Alex July

Youtube is much more better? If you want to make your video private, you can do that. I don't understand the reason why people are using Vimeo or other video sharing websites.
Google is the number one search engine.
Youtube is the number one video sharing website.
People are always reinventing the wheel.

Hawker

Hawker
People use other video websites the same way as they do other forums, other "similar sites" etc to reach more people.

Think of like this, if you was using Craigslist only to post classified ads on. You might end up thinking "what other sites are there like Craigslist I can post on?"

It's the same with Youtube, I agree with you in that Youtube is the biggest video site, but its not the "only" video site.

There are people that have a lot of success posting their videos to other sites (similar sites). So it makes sense for them to do that to reach a wider audience.

Not everybody uses Youtube, admitedly, most people do, but then there's Vimeo, DailyMotion, Twitch, LiveLeak, Veoh, Break, MetaCafe, Vine, Google Videos and Bing videos,, ZippCast, Vevo, Blip, Revver, UStream, YouChew, Newgrounds just to name a few.

Each of these have many thousands of users, therefore posting your Youtube videos to these sites too can increase their views and bring you in more traffic.

Therefore, I can't see why people wouldn't use these other "similar" video sites to share and upload their videos too.

Not to mention, with each site, you can add a description and have a clickable link in those descriptions too.

Thusly providing a backlink and a link people can click on to visit your site/offer etc.

It's a no brainer if you ask me!

bracknelson

Youtube is a better choice for business purposes whereas, Vimeo player is ad-free or easy to use.

BrandonDyer

I am using the Youtube video player for a while. It is pretty good, and also, I like that it is not glitching and the quality of the video is high. The main disadvantage of this player is that it is not working without an Internet connection. I like traveling by car, and this is a disadvantage for me.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views