Simple vs Detailed logos?

BillEssley

WMS Marketplace Seller
Simple or detailed logos - which one do you prefer? I lean towards simple logos with a bit more of creativity and originality. I like logos where you can easily recognize their brand name from afar rather than precise or it must be easy to remember, detailed logos which you need to be right beside to appreciate.
Any comments are appreciated!

velvet

Hi BillEssley,

my vote is for easily read, or distinguished designs.

Simple and effective.

It's a bit like a shop sign, it's the simple ones with clear writing that are easily read that stand out to me.

I have seen so many horrible signs, usually from "creative sign companies" that have so much going on you have no idea where to look.

They think they are clever I guess, but the message is lost in the noise.

cheers, Mal.

Last edited:

Hawker

When I'm designing a logo, either for myself or for a client, I use the "less is more" principle.

Sometimes, I find logos are very cluttered and unnecessarily have a lot going on within them.

Well there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, a logo is just a logo at the end of the day.

Something people can use to identify your site/brand with.

However, simple logos are often just as effective at doing that as detailed logos are.

As Mal has put it, some logos are just far far too complicated for their own good and people get lost in a sea of shapes or colours.

Where as, a simple text logo with a simple icon next to it (icon that is relevant to your niche/industry) is all that is required really.

The other thing to consider when designing a logo is, do you require it contain your company name and slogan or just your company name?

Do you want to have your company name as words, within that logo or do you want only an image/icon only?

Do you want a logo that you can use on not just your site but on business cards, leaflets, flyers, letterheads etc?

Example: I've been experimenting with some logos for my coffee body scrub site.

I'll probably go with something simple like this.

The site is about a coffee body scrub so it contains a coffee bean with a crown on it and just my sites name and slogan.

IMHO anything more than this is just unnecessary overkill.

frankscrublogo.png

lanotdesign

For me best logo is the one that got me to buy / subscribe to their service.
Minimalistic logo works for many companies but does not work on many businesses as well.

It is all about determining your target audience and having the best impact on them.

MechanicWeb-shoss

Simple or detailed logos - which one do you prefer? I lean towards simple logos with a bit more of creativity and originality. I like logos where you can easily recognize their brand name from afar rather than precise or it must be easy to remember, detailed logos which you need to be right beside to appreciate.
For me, there should be three notions on a logo:

1. It should be simple to recognise yet different enough to distinguish
2. It should present a message about the company products and services
4. It should contain company name/url

Not that all three is a must, but I always try to put all three with my logos.

Equady

In my philosophy,:rasta: the purpose from a logo is to make you KNOW what the company/individual is about just by a quick glance.

Minimal or elaborate if the logo didn't convey what is supposed to be conveying. It has failed.

That's why logo creation is the highest form of graphical design expression! :crazy:

dedica_manager

The logo should strike the eye, but it does not look annoyingly. He must harmoniously integrate into the basic design. You do not have to do something elaborate, sometimes better than a simple logo

WebmasterPhil

Simple because logos have to be resized for different media. You might have to put your logo on stationary paper or a business card. If you make a logo with small text on it, it won't be readable on a small business card.

Last edited:

learn2do

Simple logos are better, that's the trend. But honestly, when you are a freelancer without high reputation, you shouldn't create a simple logo, maybe your clients don't like that, they could think it doesn't worth their money :(.

tarunap

Always consider memorability, whether you’re designing a complex logo or a simple one. :)

Nancy G

Choosing between simple and detailed logos, I will always go with simple logo. Detailed logo tend to be cluttered and difficult to understand.

Effective simple logo should be:

1. distinctive (visually appealing to separate from competitors, and not identified with another brand or company),

2. relevant ( conveys positive values or feeling of pride or trust), and

3. clarity (easily read and understood, high recall).

ecole11j

I would say a simple logo over a detailed one is better. Think of some of the most iconic brand logos out there that would be easily recognizable to almost anyone without any other context. Most of them are fairly simple designs.

afftomm

For me I would choose simple over the detailed logo. Making changes in the simple logo like, change of color is much more easy to do over the detailed logo.

IPlease

Easy logos are what will be remembered. If you jam too much stuff into them, they may be hard to read and not leave a really good impression. It is better to stick with simple then to go overboard.

Sase3119

I think it needs to be somewhere in the middle. If you go too simple they blend in with every other logo and don't really stand out or look memorable. If you go too complicated, they look cluttered and overworked. It needs to be complex enough to be unique, but still simple enough that someone could draw it from memory.

Vinsanity

For me it does not matter whether you put a detailed or a simple logo. You just need to put a logo that has the most significant representation of your organization, website or wherever you intend to put it.

For my personal perspective I would go for the simpler one. It should be pleasant to the eyes and not that colorful. More of like a professionally done logo. Something like that.

Darius444

Simple logos are understandable and easy to remember, I think this is the whole essence of the logo!) Too much detailed logo is not interesting for an ordinary person.

Nina7788

I vote for simple logos. In my opinion, people remember them better.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.