Tweet ranking?

samimnoorzaitgc

Does tweets get ranked? How they are ranked? What makes them to rank higher?

I can't wait to get a long meaningful answer. Warm Rewards on greatest post, (1 Thumb up and 1 Thanks!)

PTTed

I'm a slave to Thank You's and thumbs up so I'll bite! :violent:

Although my answer is not going to be very long.

First let me assume you are talking about getting ranked in Google.

Do tweets get ranked? - yes sometimes - depends on the search term

How do they get ranked? - Not sure - don't care (looks like they are time sensitive probably in addition to other things)

What makes them rank higher? - not sure - not sure why anyone would care - read the next question for the reason why I say that

Better Question: Is it worth your time to try to get a Tweet ranked high for some reason? Answer: No - not in my opinion

Here is why:

It's President's Day here in the USA> (national Holiday for government workers, schools and banks) - The rest of us schleps actually work.

So I did a search for - presidents day tweets - on Google

tweets.png

Google showed me two tweets side by side in position 4 in the organic rankings.

This tells me that (in general) it is going to be a total waste of my time to worry about getting a Tweet ranked.

And I even included the word Tweets in the search string and it still only listed them in position 4.

Seems like a big waste of time.

Now give me my damn Thank You and Thumbs. :ertery:

Now I said.

Not now, right now.

Hawker

IMHO, and it's purely guesswork. But tweets are ranked by Twitter and then Google according to their popularity.

As far as Twitter is concerned a tweets popularity is defined by factors such as, the age of the twitter account the tweet is from, the amount of followers that account has, then how many "retweets" that single tweet had, how many comments and favourites etc it has also. But they could also consider many more things too.

As far as Google is concerned, a tweet is still a web page with its own SEO score. And it will still apply to the Google algorithm. We don't know the exact rules for that algo but we can assume safely that the tweet (like any web page) will be ranked first by age, then by the SEO of the site its on, what links (if any) point back to that page (tweet) how old those links are (if any). That kind of thing.

Also we don't know if Google really does use social media as a ranking factor, social signals, shares, likes, tweets etc. But we can probably assume that it does because sites with lots of social signals usually rank higher because of them. So it (Google) could possibly look at that tweets number of retweets, favourites etc (as well) as they all show on that tweet.

Also, tweets are ranked by the words used within them. That's why lots of Twitter IM's use longtails in their tweets. And they use #hashtags, lots of #hashtags, but not too many. They help as well because anyone searching for those hashtags alone, (whether in Google or on Twitter) your tweet has more chance of being discovered for using it.

I hope that offers you some insight into how tweets are ranked on the big old web!

mackrodd

don't focus to rank tweets. focus on ranking your content and get targeted audience. tell me what are you going to sell with ranked tweets. tweets probably will give social signals to your site

samimnoorzaitgc

samimnoorzaitgc
I do not want to sell with tweets :D (that isn't possible) But I do want to give my tweets higher impressions. The more likes and retweets a tweet has the more powerful signals can it send to a link/website.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads