What to do If the domain you want is not Available?

Emilio

Sometimes I check some domain names I want to buy and to start new sites with it but they are booked by others. So you guys will do what if the domain you want is not available? leave your ideas/niches you choose and trying a new way with a new and easier domain name or what is your way?

velvet

Hi Emilio,

I have rarely not been able to find a domain name that suits a purpose.

I use this software tool to find domain names, and it always performs for me.

You just need to be a bit creative when you get stuck.

I have a few domains that are not .com, but not many. I usually insist on .com too.

Just chuck in a few keywords and keep adding your ideas until you find something.

cheers, Mal.

Last edited by a moderator:

ulterios

Hi Emilio,

Sometimes finding the right domain name can be a hard task. However, don't give up and just do some research and looking at other sites in the same field/niche, and that can give you some ideas as well. One thing that you can also do is look at a thesaurus website for other words with the same meaning of a name in the domain that you like, but is taken. As an example, if you are looking for a domain and wanted "FastTechSupport.com" but it's taken, you can look on a site like thesaurus.com and find other words that mean the same thing as words in the domain. Perhaps change "Fast" to "Speedy", "Prompt", etc.

You can also try some of the free domain name generator sites. Most are a complete joke and waste of time, but one that I have found useful at times is impossibility.org. It lets you use your words and will generate some domains that are available to register for you. It won't always give you exactly what you want, but it's also good for helping to inspire ideas that might lead to you coming up with one you like.

If you aren't looking for anything specific, you can also try 123finder.com. I have used it in the past but usually only looking for short available domains in certain extensions.

Good luck! :)

DavidFeldman

Sometimes I check some domain names I want to buy and to start new sites with it but they are booked by others. So you guys will do what if the domain you want is not available? leave your ideas/niches you choose and trying a new way with a new and easier domain name or what is your way?
Depends if the niche is the domain name, then you're stuck. If not, then there are always other combinations or creative ideas. Some people like to use a foreign language word for that niche--makes you sound "cool" somehow. :)

Hawker

If you definitely want the .com but it's taken. There are some things you can do to "secure" it.

The first is to do a whois on that domain and then find the owners contact details and ask them if they want to sell it.

That would only really apply if the domain is being parked. Established sites you probably have no chance unless you offer a lot for it.

Even parked domains the owner wont be willing to let it go for something unless its a pretty price and decent offer.

It depends how much you want that domain.

If you absolutely cannot get the .com your next choice is to go with a .net or .org or even something else completely.

Failing that, change the domain you want so its similar but not the same.

samimnoorzaitgc

Simple, it's simple! "Forget about it" yeah, it's that simple. Change your brand name, company name and choose a new domain that is available. silly right? but that's the only way.

rfharris

It is very simple, if you desired domain name is not available, choose another one. Your domain name is important but it is not most important, you can be successful with virtually any domain name if you know how to promote it correctly :)

laceibanet

you have to be creative to get around not finding the first domain name you thought of, try to think of similar words or maybe even different spellings. It's tough to find a simple name these days as most are already taken, so you have to be creative about it. Sit down and write up a list of about 30 and then go searching if they're registered or not, and believe me 30 is not enough sometimes.

SenseiSteve

Yeah, I've spent hours researching domain names for specific projects and just when it seems I've exhausted every possible combination or variant, I finally find something useable. Sometimes you just need to think outside of the box - which is easier said than done.

HCFGrizzly

Try not to cry....cry a lot...

Leaving jokes aside, if the name is taken I will try to come up with another name that is related to the niche.
It`s not that big of a process. The domain name is not important for SEO, but is important for your visitors.
Try to choose something relevant and easy to remember.

learn2do

If you still want to have that domain, just check if the domain's owner are using it or they just leave it there with a single HTML page providing their contact, then you just need to buy it back(of course it will not be cheap). And like other people always do, you should try to change a little detail on the desired domain, like adding a "z" to the end of the domain, change .com to .org, rearrange words etc.

WebmasterPhil

I would add another word to the domain that I wanted. For example, if the domain address that I wanted was

soccerequipments.com

I would go with

buysoccerequipments.com
soccerequipmentsforsale.com
soccerequipmentstore.com
onlinesoccerequipments.com

I prefer to stay away from .net, .org, etc. altogether.

Last edited:

massproxy

I was waiting for one domain for 3 years. On this domain nothing happend, so I was sure, that owner don't extend domain on next period. Finally it token 3 years :)
But from about 3 months Im happy owner of my favorite domain.

But- You can use some similar name of domain or for example use domain .eu .org or other.

Elisabeth Kuhn

I have used quite a few of the techniques listed here including...

The thesaurus method:

Just the other day, I was trying to find a domain for my new recipe site, and I wanted something like lazychef.com but all the relevant names were taken. Not only that, but I didn't want to modify it by adding NewLazyChef or anything like either that since Lazy Chef was already kind of branded. And the same was true for a bunch of alternative phrases.

So I went to the thesaurus... and came up with a not terribly keyword friendly but definitely memorable name:

LackadaisicalChef.com (site will be set up "next year"!

I bet no one is looking for that keyword, but once I've published a few Kindle books with that name and a few Videos, oh, and spread it around on Pinterest, I think word will get out.

About non-.com domains...

Also, while I rarely use .net and .org (though I used to), I do occasionally use .info, especially when it makes sense (with info focused sites) and I can't get the .com

I found that they can rank just as well as .com sites as long as they're keyword optimized and have quality content.

Seller

This is a problem that I ran into myself. No matter what domain I was thinking about and liked, it was already taken by someone else. I tried everything that I could think of that was relevant to my website and couldn't find any that were available to register.

What I finally ended up doing was to go to some of those domain name generator websites thinking they could help find a domain for me. I didn't like anything that they showed as available but it did give me some good ideas and from those ideas I was able to find a domain that wasn't registered yet.

daniel27lt

Try something unique. As you no longer need your niche keywords within the domain. Google and other search engines don't favor these types any longer. For example, look at these names, Google, Yahoo, Hootsuite (just to name a few). These names have nothing basically to do with their business but they rank high. The best thing about these types of domains is their brandable names. People are my likely to remember them. So keep this in mind when deciding on a business name.

I hope this has helped :)

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.