How many keywords to use per page for SEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainmaker11

Hi everyone,

I often include my keywords into title and heading tags but I am wondering how many keywords should I use per page for SEO? and how many keywords should I use in an article?

Does any one know this, pls share me best advice. Thanks

Nytshade

Hi everyone,

I often include my keywords into title and heading tags but I am wondering how many keywords should I use per page for SEO? and how many keywords should I use in an article?

Honestly, it doesn't matter. If people can rank a blog post with only an image then that should be more than enough proof that it doesn't matter. These days you can find a blog post which only has a video or audio (podcast) ranking among well optimized pages.

and how many keywords should I use in an article?
Again, it doesn't matter. Just make sure that you don't spam your keyword though. Keyword density is a joke, don't fall for that myth. I mean, you can even rank a blank page so don't stress about how many times your keyword should show in an article.

Always think about the end user and you'll be fine.

Reactions: rainmaker11

Developer

Developer
I couldn't agree more. When designing a site, a page, a lead capture page, whatever,
your # 1 goal and objective should be just that... the end user.

Did you answer any questions they may have?
Did you stray too far off course?
Did you explain it clearly enough?
Did you explain it in a manner they can understand?

That, above all else, should be your priority. Doing so will make everything else fall right
into place, (including your "keyword density" if done right).

khassani

Hello,

There's no general rule on the limitation of keywords in one single page. Typically, I don't optimize an article or a page for more than 1-2 Keywords, but this is just me :)

Since I use the Yoast SEO plugin on my Wordpress blogs, I tend to use only 1 Keyword so that Yoast can tell how well the content of the page is optimized for that specific Keyword.

All the best!

matictech01

Keyword density must be 2 to 3 percent.
More than that leads to keyword stuffing.

Miguelito203

Keyword density isn't a big deal like it once was. I just have one main keyword per post and use variations of it throughout said post. When you're writing, it should still seem natural, and you should still try to answer a person's unanswered questions, so they are able to make a definite decision. Sometimes, my reviews might only be like 450 words or so. However, if I need to write 1000 or whatever, I'll do that (happens a lot when I'm promoting stuff outside of the IM niche). I don't know if it's because of the niche or what, but my EPC's are higher than in the IM niche, and my refund rates are practically non-existent.

Joey

HCFGrizzly

The number of keywords you have to use on a page is not fixed. More important than the quantity of the keywords is the quality of them. You should use them on all the important places like page title, page headings, first paragraph etc.
Don`t make the mistake of listening to people that are talking about a fixed keyword density because they don`t know a thing about SEO

vishwa

Keywords are not so relevant in these days and the amount of keywords is solely depends on the content of the post. I usually using 4 to 5 keywords for my posts.

MrT

I like to target one, single phrase or topic, and in the headings expand on it, through the content.

Check out: AnswerThePublic, type in your keyword or topic, and it gives you a ton of ideas to expand on. That seems to work best for me, and always has.

You can have a single page ranking for hundreds of keyword variations. Doesn't mean you should optimize the page or post for 100 different keywords.

IgnacioSports

There is no such fix amount of keywords on per page. Use long tail keywords to get website ranking and traffic in search engines.

kevinarndale

Well, there may be many keywords for a particular piece of article that gets ranked on the SERP. But the point is to make your content more informative and relevant to your targeted niche.

savidge4

I am just curious... if you were to calculate "keyword density" how do you do it?

Just to clarify here, I do have an answer to this, but given the responses above, the method I use is probably very different.

bigupman

The amount of keywords aren't as important as word count, quality writing with good writing and good media. In saying that, I try not to go above 1% at most.

Last edited:

savidge4

I didn't think anyone would share how they calculate word density... so I will share a not as detailed version of how I do. Before I do that.. i want to say I very much agree that content should be about value first... that being said, what good is content if it is not being read? An example... When I am looking up information about most any topic, I very rarely read the pages on the first page of serps. I will dig into pages 5 7 10... this is where the really good stuff more often than not can be found.. why? because someone is sharing real value on a subject, but has no clue about SEO principles. No elements of SEO, and the serp rank sucks.

In a nutshell how I calculate keyword density.. I first will look at the code of the page, and do a count of how many times my target keyword is present throughout the the entire page ( I use the "find" function to do this count). I then take that number and divide it by the total number of words with in the text portion ( < p > ) of the page. ( you can get this number by inserting the text into word without actually counting the words ) This gives you a percentage that as I see it would be your keyword density.

Lets say i have a 500 word document and I want a 1.4 percent keyword density, that would mean that i need that term to appear 7 times within the code of the page. the 7 obvious places would be

1. The URL
2. The Title
3. The primary H1 tag
4. Within the first portion of text
5. An Img file name
6. The Image alt tag
7. later in the text

An issue you run into when running such a low keyword percentage becomes Keyword Proximity. the top portion of your code is going to be keyword heavy. Going to something like 1.8% or 9 instances of the keyword, then looks like this:

1. The URL
2. The Title
3. The description Tag
4. The primary H1 tag
5. Within the first portion of text
6. An Img file name
7. The Image alt tag
8. Towards the middle of the text
9. Towards the end of the text

When you look at it this way, the actual text is not so keyword loaded... and like I said, I am all for the overall end user value of the content.

As you get more in detail with the concepts of keyword density you begin to understand there are some other factors at play. inner site linking using the keyword term as anchor text and back linking with the use of the keyword term as anchor would be 2 examples of this.

The actual percentage itself that you would use depends on many factors. One you can get away with in one market space / niche, may not hold true in another. I do find that local based SEO is far more forgiving. It simply is something you have to play with and test to determine the best results.

w3master

Keyword density is not worth considering today: The main motive is to write quality content that directly hits the intended audience and its of value to them.

For example, if you are considering 7 keywords in a 500 word article, you bother much on how to produce these keywords properly in this 500 word rather than concentrating on the quality of the content: It makes a great difference to the output and the user may not be interested to read your stuffed keywords

JoseBarreiro

Hi everyone,

Hi,

In my personal opinion, I use 2% of the total words of the article and its working pretty good.

TellMeAboutIt

I think the continued sophistication of Google's keyword ranking/LSI modifiers has been a godsend for the legions of English Lit grads paying their bills as content writers. There is nothing more suffocating and soul-sucking than force-feeding keyword phrases into your work, especially when you've laboured to make dry copy sound compelling.

Hawker

Man you shouldn't even be thinking like this! If you're wondering how many times you should use a keyword then you're someone who's trying to manipulate the search results. What you should be thinking is not how many times you should use that/those keyword(s) or not, but rather what you're actually writing and saying about that/those keyword(s) is something people are going to find valuable no matter how many times it does or doesn't appear on the page.

Obviously if you overdo it and have the same keywords in every single paragraph and excessively used everywhere else every time for every single one of your posts then that could raise some flags because it looks like you're writing for search engines and not people.

That's something that Yoast users overlook that its not all about being consistently perfect every time in all your posts and using your keywords in everything from title, content to meta.

You see a lot of Yoast users get frustrated after being meticulous with their content and keyword usage making sure to please Yoast and get all green ticks only to find later down the line that same meticulous use of the same keywords per content being used in the title, content, meta etc has got them penalized in some way or they are finding it hard to rank.

Like SEOPub has pointed out, Yoast can only go so far and help with some sides of things like category and tag de indexing but it can also get you in trouble too by confining you to a box so to speak.

Sometimes its useful just to forget all about what Yoast tells you and just let that sucker unfold naturally on the page the way it should do.

I find a true content piece on one subject has a lot of synonyms and related alternative keywords and phrases around it.

Content that ranks highest on its own is original content that was first on the subject.

To get later content on the same subject ranking high on its own it needs to have everything within it that's connected to or related to the subject/keywords it's based on.

But that doesn't mean to say G wont rank an article that only has the keywords in the title and no where else not even on the page or meta.

There are pages that hardly contain the keyword anywhere except in the title or content etc that G ranks higher than content that has the keyword everywhere and has a lot more to say about it.

And that even goes for content/keywords that have a lot of age/authority and backlinks/social shares etc behind them.

It's crazy what can rank and is chosen by G sometimes.

designstoredxb

As it has already been mentioned there is no any fix rule for the number of keywords per page but it is a good idea to target fewer number of keywords in a page. The more the number of keywords in a page the tougher will be to rank for multiple keywords so just create landing page for specific keyword and place the keyword in the title, header tag, content, image alt tag and in the URL and then create quality back links from relevant niche with varied anchor text and share in Social Media..

SEOPub

SEOPub
Ignore this. It's just flat out wrong.

Whether you are targeting 10 keywords on a page or 50 keywords, it really makes zero difference in the difficulty.

Sharing in social media does not improve rankings.

Hawker

Hawker
Well, nobody knows that for sure do they. A link is a link is a link at the end of the day whether its nofollow or not.

If you don't work for Google Algo team and you don't know what the Algo rules are, what's taken into consideration or not you can only speculate.

At the end of the day, social media sites like Facebook are high authority sites so even if its a shared link or something else its still a link from a high authority site.

Actually, I digress on that statement. I would say that having a lot of shares is one way of showing search engines how popular your site is on social media.

We know that Google looks at your backlinks, the AGE of those backlinks, the AUTHORITY of those backlinks.

And I've seen great results by having lots of social signals and shares on sites that have hardly any backlinks.

So I'm on the side that say social media shares can improve your rankings.

But it all depends on toughness of competition, the niche you're in and all sorts of other things.

But to flatly outright say that social media doesn't improve rankings is just arrogant IMHO.

But I'm willing to be proved wrong. ;)

SEOPub

This argument is old. My answer is not arrogant. You can see it with testing.

Besides the fact that Google has said they do not use social signals in their rankings, just think of it from a business perspective on their end.

They are not going to incorporate something into the ranking algorithm that they could be shut out from at any moment. If they used Facebook shares as a ranking factor, for example, what happens tomorrow if Facebook decides to block Google from crawling their site and data? Same thing with retweets.

Don't think it can happen? Well, Twitter did it to Google in the past.

Can social media have a indirect impact on rankings? Sure. More people might link to something the more it gets shared. The links on Facebook and Twitter themselves are extremely weak. It doesn't matter if they are high authority sites. The links are on dynamic PR 0 pages. They get buried so far down, that they will quickly be relatively insignificant.

Whatever though. If people want to keep believing the social signals rank pages horsecrap being fed to them by Neil, Rand, Brian, and all the scammers selling social signals, that is fine by me. Makes my job of outranking them easier.

Hawker

Hawker
Well that is what I'm saying to you, I have tested it and every time it's resulted in an improvement in rankings.

I'm talking using nothing but social signals, shares, likes, tweets, +1's, pins etc etc.

And not just whacking 10k social signals in 7 days and leaving it.

It works best when you continue using them over a long period of time and don't suddenly stop.

Because of my past experience ranking sites with social signals, I'm going to say that definitely social signals DO help to improve rankings.

Because on every test I've ever done using them it has turned out advantageous for me.

How can you say that they don't when the evidence is right there in front of us that they blatantly do?

I get what you're saying about Google not using a 3rd party site that can shut out Google crawling them at any minute.

But Google doesn't need to crawl Facebook or Twitter to see how many Likes/Shares or Tweets you got anyway.

And it doesn't matter how far buried your tweets get, it doesn't matter that the page that is linking out is a PR0. It's still a link from an authority site in the eyes of Google.

So from that perspective, these kind of social signals can directly and indirectly improve your ranking.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Older threads
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.